can someone explain this please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marmar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am totally confused by the question #228 of the destroyer bio. I cant understand whatis going on. can someone explain this?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

In the question stem, take out "If a male and female are both carriers of the gene" this part I dont think should be in there because if they were both carriers it would be 25%.

The way they want the problem is 1/50 people in the normal population is a carrier, a random male and female get together, what is the probability they will have a diseased child.

Does that help?

oh thanks, this makes sense now. I hate it. as if I am not down and misreable as it is, I need some grammer or typo to confuse me even more. I am glad I discovered this blog. it helps sometimes. well it makes me nervous too.

In the question stem, take out "If a male and female are both carriers of the gene" this part I dont think should be in there because if they were both carriers it would be 25%.

The way they want the problem is 1/50 people in the normal population is a carrier, a random male and female get together, what is the probability they will have a diseased child.

Does that help?

I agree 100% with your explanation, but in this question it is clearly stated both male and female are carrier( they are hetrozygos). it doesn't talk about randomly mating between two individual from population.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree 100% with your explanation, but in this question it is clearly stated both male and female are carrier( they are hetrozygos). it doesn't talk about randomly mating between two individual from population.

exactly...so u guys cant jus assume its a typo but the way the answer is explained, it mustve been worded wrong

exactly...so u guys cant jus assume its a typo but the way the answer is explained, it mustve been worded wrong

agree, I don't know about others. But I think maybe I am missing the point and I want get clear about that.