Can someone please explain how to use Interfolio???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reynolds5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to have a recommender submit a letter via Interfolio, but neither of us really knows how to use it. I know she needs an account, but do I? This is part of an email she sent me:

"I am struggling with submitting to Interfolio. The letter id on the form you sent me (she's referring to the AMCAS letter cover) has 7 characters, but the one requested is only supposed to have 6.

The system says that I should have received an email, but I don't recall getting an email from interfolio."

Can anyone help us out? Also, if someone could post a step by step explanation of how to submit the letter, how AMCAS receives it, and how the schools I'm applying to receive it, that would clear up a lot.

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

you're asking if you need an account with interfolio? how in the world is the letter going to go into your interfolio account if you don't have an account????

Then you go on talking about an AMCAS cover. You're confusing the crap out of me

Amcas cover goes with a letter and is sent to AMCAS whom you have an account with.

An interfolio cover goes with a letter that is sent to interfolio whom you SHOULD have an account with.

does this make sense? i'm going to bed, maybe someone will better explan the process for you. Sorry i wasn't much help.

best of luck though!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
you can either have your recommender upload your letter electronically or send it through mail to interfolio. you will need an interfolio account before interfolio can store your files.

if your recommender wants to upload the letter electronically, he/she will need a free interfolio writer's account

for more info watch the video here:

https://www.interfolio.com/video/reqletter/

In a nutshell, this is what you have to do to use interfolio:

1) Create an account for yourself. This will cost money, but there is no way around it.

2) Send a request to the person writing your letter. You can either print out a form and give it to the writer in person, or you can have the form emailed to them. There should be a tab somewhere at the top of your account page for this.

3) Wait for them to write and upload the LOR. You should be notified via email when this happens.

4) Waive your right to read the letter - you may have to do this earlier, but you definitely need to agree that the letter is confidential before sending it out.

5) Send your letters to schools. You will be able to select a school from a list and then select which letters you want sent. Many schools have electronic delivery available, and others can receive Interfolio documents by ground mail.

At least in my experience, your letter writer doesn't have anything to do with the AMCAS request form or letter ID. After you make an account, have your recommender send the LOR to interfolio (either electronically or by mail). Then download the AMCAS request form as a pdf. Then upload the AMCAS request form to Interfolio. Once both the letter (which your recommender sent in) and the AMCAS request form (which you uploaded) are received by interfolio, send both the letter and the AMCAS request form to AMCAS. Interfolio will ask you to add the letter ID (on the AMCAS request form) to the corresponding letter...this makes it easier to AMCAS to upload it into your account. If this doesn't make sense, either go to the FAQs at interfolio or ask their customer service (I found them to be very helpful and quick to respond).

Thank you for your responses! That clears a lot up. I think I'm just going to have her send it through snail mail. I've read that once you pay for an Interfolio account, you also have to pay to have the letter sent to each school, so it's probably cheaper to just send it to AMCAS and have them take care of it. Thanks!

Thank you for your responses! That clears a lot up. I think I'm just going to have her send it through snail mail. I've read that once you pay for an Interfolio account, you also have to pay to have the letter sent to each school, so it's probably cheaper to just send it to AMCAS and have them take care of it. Thanks!

Keep in mind that AMCAS only sends LORs to 20-something schools. If you are applying to schools not on that list (see the AMCAS website), you can't send the letters via AMCAS. If the only schools you're applying to work with AMCAS, then this would be the more price-efficient option.

If you are sending them to non-AMCAS schools, I'd recommend going with Interfolio. In my opinion, Interfolio is very well priced for their reliable and quick services ($15 for a year subscription, $4 per electronic mailing, $5 per surface mailing...these prices are going up a little soon, but I'm not sure when that change is put into effect)