How to explain my low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carson16666

Reaction score
I went to community college for 3 semesters, got a 2.7, then improved it to a 3.4 in my time at a four-year university. My GPA at community college was so low because I thought my GPA would reset when I transferred, so all that mattered was that I passed the class. I know it's silly, but in my defense, my advisor told me this. Is this a stupid thing to explain my low GPA or should I just make up something else?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Say your dog ate your homework. Worked for me and now I have an A.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
My GPA at community college was so low because I thought my GPA would reset when I transferred
This indicates a lack of effort during your time at CC. I don't know how you can spin this otherwise. You'd have to say that you were immature back then, and you've now grown up, which is the truth.
my advisor told me this
This might be better than saying your dog ate three semesters worth of schoolwork. But not much.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This indicates a lack of effort during your time at CC. I don't know how you can spin this otherwise. You'd have to say that you were immature back then, and you've now grown up, which is the truth.

This might be better than saying your dog ate three semesters worth of schoolwork. But not much.
Haha yeah I figured it would be silly to point fingers for something I did. Thanks!

Don’t point fingers . Take responsibility for it but emphasize how you came right back up and what you learned from this experience etc

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
If you know you want to do peds, FM, IM, EM, etc, or even like general surgery, just go to a good DO school. You can still do competitive specialties at a DO, it just makes your life harder because of the (stupid) bias that's out there. But if you're like me and know you don't want to be a super surgeon, I wouldn't even bother worrying about your GPA. Just crush your MCAT and make sure the rest of your app is good, you'll get in somewhere.

If your dreams are to be a pediatric neurodermatologist at Harvard, there are threads on SDN you can read about GPA repair. But there really isn't any explaining it away; you're applying with it, and a 3.4 will make it harder to get into "top ranked" (I hate this terminology) schools. Sorry bud.

Again though- most doctors aren't MOHS surgeons, most doctors are internists/pediatricians/etc, and it's not like Blue Cross is going to reimburse you less because you went to VCOM instead of UAB. Like Angler said, just chalk it up to immaturity, if they even ask you about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users