Can someone please explain post bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcml333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been doing some research on post-bac and I am slightly confused. Could someone please explain it to me? I know that the requirements vary by schools. I also understand that there are multiple post-bac programs. The main question I am wondering is if one has to be considered underprivileged or disadvantaged to apply/get accepted into post bac?
Follow up question:
If one is not considered disadvantaged, and therefore post-bac is not an option, what else should be done to better one's chances of getting into a medical school?
Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

A post-bacc is simply a program for those who have already finished a bachelor's degree in another discipline to take science courses at the undergraduate level. Post-bachelors = post-baccalaureate.

As far as disadvantage, there might be some particular programs that cater to that, but generally post-baccs are either formal programs with strict requirements or more DIY programs that have the advantage of a dedicated advisor (hence why they're more useful than just enrolling as a non-degree seeking student).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A post-bacc is simply a program for those who have already finished a bachelor's degree in another discipline to take science courses at the undergraduate level. Post-bachelors = post-baccalaureate.

As far as disadvantage, there might be some particular programs that cater to that, but generally post-baccs are either formal programs with strict requirements or more DIY programs that have the advantage of a dedicated advisor (hence why they're more useful than just enrolling as a non-degree seeking student).
Thank you! So, if I have already taken undergrad premed pre-reqs, could I still do a post-bac? Does my major matter?

Thank you! So, if I have already taken undergrad premed pre-reqs, could I still do a post-bac? Does my major matter?
I had taken 2 or 3 of the requirements in my undergrad days and still did an informal post-bacc (the kind with an advisor, but no set courses I HAD to take). I retook 1 because I didn't remember any of it, and moved forward from there. I was a foreign language major, FWIW.

@New_Slang, since you were a foreign language major, would you mind recommending a good conversational language program? I need to find one that is good that will get me chatting w/ patients and families fairly quickly--don't need to be too fixated on writing perfectly right now. Other courses I took a very long time ago, so w/ patients, it's like I can understand more than I can speak back to them. LOL
I need it to be computer/Internet-based, and I have heard very mixed reviews on Rosetta Stone.

If you don't feel like answering here, would you mind private messaging me?

Thank you. :)

Yes, and no. Most post-bacs are for a non-premed student to get in the pre-reqs, OR for GPA repair after bombing in UG.

An SMP is a specific type of post-bac designed to mimic a medical school curriculum to demonstrate that you 2.9 UG GPA was a fluke, and that you can handle med school, as the now of now is not the you of then.

@New_Slang, since you were a foreign language major, would you mind recommending a good conversational language program? I need to find one that is good that will get me chatting w/ patients and families fairly quickly--don't need to be too fixated on writing perfectly right now. Other courses I took a very long time ago, so w/ patients, it's like I can understand more than I can speak back to them. LOL
I need it to be computer/Internet-based, and I have heard very mixed reviews on Rosetta Stone.

If you don't feel like answering here, would you mind private messaging me?

Thank you. :)
Pm'd you!!

Yes, and no. Most post-bacs are for a non-premed student to get in the pre-reqs, OR for GPA repair after bombing in UG.

An SMP is a specific type of post-bac designed to mimic a medical school curriculum to demonstrate that you 2.9 UG GPA was a fluke, and that you can handle med school, as the now of now is not the you of then.
So, what I'm interpreting is that SMP is my best shot, since I've already dipped my toes into the premed pre-reqs? Thanks for the response :)

If you are registered as a full time student you would be a "full-bacc". If only part time then a "half-bacc". However both types of students would be in the post-bacc program.

so if you are trying to registered on full time basic then you should get some time from your study to learn about bacc program.

Absolutely! SMPs are auditions for med school. If you can attend one given at a med school, it's your back door in.

@Goro (since you're here) how does your school interpret an SMP graduate with a meddling gpa, say a 3.5? How do you believe MD schools would interpret this? I'm curious, as I don't believe that getting a 3.5 in M1 coursework is an easy task necessarily, let alone a higher GPA. The odds seem quite stacked against SMP students.

Based upon experience at my school, a 3.5 in a SMP is the bare minimum for predicting success in our DO program. I don't know what the threshold is for MD schools, but of my SDN advisees who went this route and were successful, 3.7+ was the avg GPA. Granted, the n= small.

I suggest that you try all the same if that's your GPA. Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all.

Yes, it's hard, but if you want to be a doctor, that's what you need to do. You're not afraid of hard work, are you???

@Goro (since you're here) how does your school interpret an SMP graduate with a meddling gpa, say a 3.5? How do you believe MD schools would interpret this? I'm curious, as I don't believe that getting a 3.5 in M1 coursework is an easy task necessarily, let alone a higher GPA. The odds seem quite stacked against SMP students.

Based upon experience at my school, a 3.5 in a SMP is the bare minimum for predicting success in our DO program. I don't know what the threshold is for MD schools, but of my SDN advisees who went this route and were successful, 3.7+ was the avg GPA. Granted, the n= small.

I suggest that you try all the same if that's your GPA. Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all.

Yes, it's hard, but if you want to be a doctor, that's what you need to do. You're not afraid of hard work, are you???

@Goro haha I appreciate your vote of confidence. I'm actually in the boat of considering next steps after graduating with a low GPA (3.2 c/s).

I decided to turn down an SMP acceptance (in favor of a full time research position where I can use tuition reimbursement to take upper level courses) based on the risk associated with it, which I thank you for helping to corroborate.