Can the military keep you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can the Navy (in my case) keep me beyond my HPSP commitment based on low "Medical Corps" recruiting quota? Can they use the Physician’s Special Pay (ASP) as an argument to keep you beyond your EAOS date?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

JA_Perez said:
Can the Navy (in my case) keep me beyond my HPSP commitment based on low "Medical Corps" recruiting quota? Can they use the Physician’s Special Pay (ASP) as an argument to keep you beyond your EAOS date?

Thanks.

yes

From what I understand, they can and have in the past, instituted stop-loss measures that can keep you active duty past your HPSP commitment. I have not heard of the Navy doing that since 9/11. My soon to be (civilian) EM PD barely got out at that time due to the stop-loss.

And by taking the annual bonus and signing the agreement, you agreed to stay AD for an additional year for that bonus.

Members don't see this ad :)
JA_Perez said:

Thanks.

If you took your ASP in July, like most of us, your EAOS should be about the same. At present there is no plan for stop loss due to underrecruitment.

Hah.

I had retired from a combined 24 years in AD Air Force / Air National Guard (as a pilot, not physician).

I was recalled after Sept 11, and now have 26 years service. Woo-hoo.

My father had been retired about 5 years when he was recalled to active duty in the Carter administration.

The Air Force - the family business. I do miss it.