Can you ask schools whether you are competitive or not prior to applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
the director of student admissions at augusta said that she had some meetings with applicants that are asking about their application, and she suggests asking schools if you are competitive or should take a gap year, is this normal? can I email schools and ask them that?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
the director of student admissions at augusta said that she had some meetings with applicants that are asking about their application, and she suggests asking schools if you are competitive or should take a gap year, is this normal? can I email schools and ask them that?
Useless email. They either ignore, or encourage you to apply so they can take your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that they will likely suggest you apply just for $$$$. Id suggest purchasing the ADEA guide to dental schools which lists every school in the US and Canada, and their average GPAs and DAT scores. This is a much more effective way to assess which schools you are competitive for, IMO

You can ask, but don't set your expectations too high.

The money ds collect from applications might be enough to cover the lights or water bill for....a month and that's assuming that the staff required to process all of the data is composed of all volunteers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't hurt to ask. Not all schools would give you (useful) feedback, but admission representatives do need to establish trust with you as an applicant so they shouldn't just blow you off or give you a sales pitch to apply.

I would get opinions of the admissions deans or faculty who have made decisions or are in the room where decisions are made. They are harder to get a hold of unless you began networking back in the winter months before you apply.