Whether to Include High School Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Autumnus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a junior in college and planning to apply this upcoming cycle (2022-23). I currently have ~50 hr at a general practice and ~50 hr of orthodontist. I also worked at a general & pediatric office as an assistant for ~450 hours. I have heard a lot about not including high school shadowing hours in my application, but I had about 300 hr at a general office junior and senior year of high school because I was applying to some 7-year programs (although I did not end up attending any).

I did not get as many shadowing hours in college partially because of the pandemic and my other commitments, so I am wondering if I should include my high school shadowing hours since I did have a lot of them and they would somewhat reflect my commitment.

I would really appreciate some advice!

P.S. I do expect to get ~20hr of endo/perio before I submit my application, but I do want to focus on my DAT (in May) and writing my personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

I see no harm in including your HS shadowing hours. Best case scenario it reflects your early commitment to a career in dentistry and improves your chances. Worse case scenario it becomes another bullet point on your application and unlikely to be counted against you.

I see no harm in including your HS shadowing hours. Best case scenario it reflects your early commitment to a career in dentistry and improves your chances. Worse case scenario it becomes another bullet point on your application and unlikely to be counted against you.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I am a junior in college and planning to apply this upcoming cycle (2022-23). I currently have ~50 hr at a general practice and ~50 hr of orthodontist. I also worked at a general & pediatric office as an assistant for ~450 hours. I have heard a lot about not including high school shadowing hours in my application, but I had about 300 hr at a general office junior and senior year of high school because I was applying to some 7-year programs (although I did not end up attending any).

I did not get as many shadowing hours in college partially because of the pandemic and my other commitments, so I am wondering if I should include my high school shadowing hours since I did have a lot of them and they would somewhat reflect my commitment.

I would really appreciate some advice!

P.S. I do expect to get ~20hr of endo/perio before I submit my application, but I do want to focus on my DAT (in May) and writing my personal statement.
120 hours shadowing plus many more assisting is fine
do not list high school shadowing...

High school shadowing is definitely more like an icing on the cake to show you have been committed to this path for a long time, but you still need the actual "cake" in terms of college shadowing hours. You shouldn't try to add high school hours to cover up a lackluster college shadowing, but if you have 120+ by the time you apply, it should be enough by itself.

Eh... while you can list high school shadowing, we really want to be sure you have an equivalent amount of experience in a dental clinical environment. Just like your grades, we would care about what you did in college lately (or postbac if applicable).