Can you enlist in the military ANY time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to joint the Military - Physician or not. I am willing to do anything, any job, as long as I am in the military.

Can I join (enlist) in the military ANY time?

If I submit an application today, can I join tommorrow?

Again, I am willing to to anything....

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Leukocyte said:
I really want to joint the Military - Physician or not. I am willing to do anything, any job, as long as I am in the military.

Can I join (enlist) in the military ANY time?

If I submit an application today, can I join tommorrow?

Again, I am willing to to anything....

Thank You.
It isn't possible to join the military as a commissioned officer that quickly. The process is involved and requires paperwork, background checks, and a board of military members who decides to whom commissions will be offered. Those boards meet on certain scheduled dates to make their decisions and require that applications be submitted by a certain cutoff date (roughly 3 months beforehand).

It is possible to enlist and ship out the next day, though extremely rare. What would have to happen is that someone chickened out and their ship date becomes available. You would have no choice on the job you would take and precious little time to get your affairs in order. The likelihood of this occurring is miniscule, though.

Why are you so desperate to join the military, anyway? Do you know much about it? Do you know that there are different branches, and even distinct classes of servicemembers (Commissioned officers and enlisted)? I'm afraid that you will get screwed if you don't understand what you are getting yourself into with regards to military service.

Croatalus_atrox said:
It isn't possible to join the military as a commissioned officer that quickly. The process is involved and requires paperwork, background checks, and a board of military members who decides to whom commissions will be offered. Those boards meet on certain scheduled dates to make their decisions and require that applications be submitted by a certain cutoff date (roughly 3 months beforehand).

It is possible to enlist and ship out the next day, though extremely rare. What would have to happen is that someone chickened out and their ship date becomes available. You would have no choice on the job you would take and precious little time to get your affairs in order. The likelihood of this occurring is miniscule, though.

Why are you so desperate to join the military, anyway? Do you know much about it? Do you know that there are different branches, and even distinct classes of servicemembers (Commissioned officers and enlisted)? I'm afraid that you will get screwed if you don't understand what you are getting yourself into with regards to military service.

You, my friend, have just been trolled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Croatalus_atrox said:

Thank for the reply.

Why I want to join the military, so desperately?

Because I am at a very low point in my career, and I want a new start. A fresh start.

-My decision to go to the Caribbean for med. school was a mistake and a big failure. Yes I will be graduating soon, but I had major bumps in the road.

-I have no support what so ever. No good financial support. No good emotional support. No good Family support. This was also a major contributor to my "bumpy" Caribbean med. school career. I am basically on my own, and I am scared.

-I am very depressed, scared, and lonely. I have NO life right now.

-I want a career change, and I want it now. I always liked the military. I liked what they do for our country. I liked all the adventures they experience. I like the sence of unity that military personel have. I am hoping that the military will give me the sence of belonging that I always wnated.

I truley believe that the military is what I need now at this LOW point in my career. It is the hope for a new fresh start. I have wasted the last 6 years going through a very bad Caribbean education. I have lost alot. I am looking for the military to save me.

As for my "medical career", I am willing to put it on hold. I mean I have a very low chance of matching anyway:

-Entered the Carib med school in 2000
-Passed step 1 on first attempt 226/91....After that all hell broke loose:
-Took MANY breaks, and Leaves of Absences
-Failed step 2ck on first attempt.
-Took me 6 years to graduate.

That is a very bad medical accademic record for a Carib FMG.

I was thinking about joining the military for couple of years, then will see how things go. I might go through the military to med school (again), or go into dentistry. I do not know. But all I know is that my career is in a big mess right now.

Yes, I know nothing about the military. I will be talking to a recuiter on Monday. Although I have a college degree in medical technology, I am willing to enter the millitary as an "enlisted". I do not have to enter as a Commissioned Officer. I am desperate to correct my career mess, and willing to do whatever it takes.

Thank you again for your great post.

Leukocyte...graduate and apply for residency. You can certainly get a spot. After that, go FAP if you really want to do military...

But, I think you may be going from the frying pan to the fire if you expect the military to turn things around for you. If you are concerned about your medical education hurting you now, a few years in the military will basically make your degree worthless. Don't let that happen. Apply through the next match cycle, and get a residency position. You can find a spot.

chopper said:
You, my friend, have just been trolled.
I'm willing to chance it.

When I first enlisted in the Air Force, I had very little knowledge of the US military, despite a tradition of military service in my family. My father had served in the Army, and my brothers were serving in the Air Force and Marine Corps. Nonetheless, I didn't know the difference between officers and enlisted (or even that there was a distinction). I thought everybody enlisted in the military and worked their way up the ladder. Anytime someone asks what seem to be "dumb" questions, I try to remember how ignorant I was about the military before I enlisted. None of the questions asked seemed "trollish"...rather, they seemed to indicate a fundamental ignorance of US military structure and the entrance process, something which I completely understand.

OP, if you aren't trolling, I'd suggest that you try for a commission as a lab officer if you do decide to enter a branch of the US Armed Forces. You've got the degree, so you might as well put it to good use, if possible. And if you have a significant amount of debt, the compensation is much better as a commissioned officer than it would be as an enlisted.

pruritis_ani said:
Leukocyte...graduate and apply for residency. You can certainly get a spot. After that, go FAP if you really want to do military...

But, I think you may be going from the frying pan to the fire if you expect the military to turn things around for you. If you are concerned about your medical education hurting you now, a few years in the military will basically make your degree worthless. Don't let that happen. Apply through the next match cycle, and get a residency position. You can find a spot.

Thank you Pruritis_Ani for you encouraging post and good advice. I am trying to graduate in August, and currently studying to RE-TAKE Step 2CK. I am just so low on moral and money right now to the point that I am so lost.

Your advice is very sound. If I pass Step 2CK (second attempt), and get the support that I need to graduate in August, then I will follow your advice.

Thank You again...and hope all the best for you.

Croatalus_atrox said:
OP, if you aren't trolling, I'd suggest that you try for a commission as a lab officer if you do decide to enter a branch of the US Armed Forces. You've got the degree, so you might as well put it to good use, if possible. And if you have a significant amount of debt, the compensation is much better as a commissioned officer than it would be as an enlisted.

Thank you again for your great post. I will take your advice and try to enter as an Officer if I can. I will talk to a recreuter on Monday and will see what happens.

As it stands now;

-Plan A: Try to graduate in August, match 2007, then join the Millitary.

-Plan B (If Plan A does not work): Enter the Millitary, as an Officer, IF POSSIBLE. Otherwise, just enter as an "enlisted", and start a brand new career.

Thanks again, and I wish you all the best.

Leukocyte said:
Thank you Pruritis_Ani for you encouraging post and good advice. I am trying to graduate in August, and currently studying to RE-TAKE Step 2CK. I am just so low on moral and money right now to the point that I am so lost.

Your advice is very sound. If I pass Step 2CK (second attempt), and get the support that I need to graduate in August, then I will follow your advice.

Thank You again...and hope all the best for you.

Sorry to hear what a bind you are in. All through med school, I was just barely scraping by. I had some tough moments there, when I didn't know how I could afford my next month's rent, but somehow it did work out.

Funny thing is, even now, it seems that way. Not as desperate as med school, and I love getting a paycheck as it takes some of the strain off. But, I still have that pressure cooker feeling that I am one major car repair away from starving to death!

I wish I had some solid advice for you...maybe more in loans, maybe some supportive family? But, do what you can to stick it out. After you get the degree and get into residency, things will slowly improve. I would just hate to see you jump ship a little to early, and miss out on the big return on your investment later, not to mention the lost dream of being an MD.

If I can do anything, drop me a line. All the best!

BTW, if your plan A is to get a residency and join the military, look at FAP. It offers great financial incentives which would really take the strain off during residency. It turned out to be not for me, but it was a close call. And, if you are going military 100%, it is a great way to do it

Leukocyte said:
Thank you again for your great post. I will take your advice and try to enter as an Officer if I can. I will talk to a recreuter on Monday and will see what happens.

As it stands now;

-Plan A: Try to graduate in August, match 2007, then join the Millitary.

-Plan B (If Plan A does not work): Enter the Millitary, as an Officer, IF POSSIBLE. Otherwise, just enter as an "enlisted", and start a brand new career.

Thanks again, and I wish you all the best.
One thing you need to know, a recruiter who works with enlisted people isn't usually the same guy who works with officers. Be careful that they don't try to hook you in with the "You should enlist first, then become an officer once you get in". In practice, that rarely works out well for the enlistee.

Croatalus_atrox said:
One thing you need to know, a recruiter who works with enlisted people isn't usually the same guy who works with officers. Be careful that they don't try to hook you in with the "You should enlist first, then become an officer once you get in". In practice, that rarely works out well for the enlistee.

Wow...Thank you very much for the heads up. These couple of posts made me realize how green and ignorant I am when it comes to the Military.

Thank you very much for making things more clear for me. :) I just wish I had people as honest and kind as you (and Pruritis-Ani) to advise me before I went to the Caribbean 6 years ago.

As always, I wish you all the best.

Croatalus_atrox said:
I'm willing to chance it.

When I first enlisted in the Air Force, I had very little knowledge of the US military, despite a tradition of military service in my family. My father had served in the Army, and my brothers were serving in the Air Force and Marine Corps. Nonetheless, I didn't know the difference between officers and enlisted (or even that there was a distinction). I thought everybody enlisted in the military and worked their way up the ladder. Anytime someone asks what seem to be "dumb" questions, I try to remember how ignorant I was about the military before I enlisted. None of the questions asked seemed "trollish"...rather, they seemed to indicate a fundamental ignorance of US military structure and the entrance process, something which I completely understand.

Yeah, you may be right. I saw '500+ posts' and all his outlandish statements and figured it was a late night 'bored on SDN and want to get some people fired up' kind of thread.

To the OP: Don't enlist. Nothing against it, but the more education you have, the more frustrated you will be when you get in.

And don't join the military out of frustration, or desperation. Down that road nothing good can happen. Everyone else on here has some good advice.

To the OP:

I'm truly sorry you're having such a hard time.

A little of my history: I took six years to graduate with a Bachelor's. I then enlisted in the Air Force for almost three years and successfully made the jump to commissioned officer via the HPSP. If I can be of further assistance or if you just need to talk to someone, pm me.

Good luck!

Cyndi

Thank You eveyone for your support. I talked to a recruiter. They REALY need people who speak Arabic. I will most likely join the Army as a 09L Translator Aide. My medical career is now on hold.

Thank You all.

Leukocyte said:
Thank for the reply.

Why I want to join the military, so desperately?

Because I am at a very low point in my career, and I want a new start. A fresh start.

-My decision to go to the Caribbean for med. school was a mistake and a big failure. Yes I will be graduating soon, but I had major bumps in the road.

-I have no support what so ever. No good financial support. No good emotional support. No good Family support. This was also a major contributor to my "bumpy" Caribbean med. school career. I am basically on my own, and I am scared.

-I am very depressed, scared, and lonely. I have NO life right now.

-I want a career change, and I want it now. I always liked the military. I liked what they do for our country. I liked all the adventures they experience. I like the sence of unity that military personel have. I am hoping that the military will give me the sence of belonging that I always wnated.

I truley believe that the military is what I need now at this LOW point in my career. It is the hope for a new fresh start. I have wasted the last 6 years going through a very bad Caribbean education. I have lost alot. I am looking for the military to save me.

As for my "medical career", I am willing to put it on hold. I mean I have a very low chance of matching anyway:

-Entered the Carib med school in 2000
-Passed step 1 on first attempt 226/91....After that all hell broke loose:
-Took MANY breaks, and Leaves of Absences
-Failed step 2ck on first attempt.
-Took me 6 years to graduate.

That is a very bad medical accademic record for a Carib FMG.

I was thinking about joining the military for couple of years, then will see how things go. I might go through the military to med school (again), or go into dentistry. I do not know. But all I know is that my career is in a big mess right now.

Yes, I know nothing about the military. I will be talking to a recuiter on Monday. Although I have a college degree in medical technology, I am willing to enter the millitary as an "enlisted". I do not have to enter as a Commissioned Officer. I am desperate to correct my career mess, and willing to do whatever it takes.

Thank you again for your great post.

Holy caca!!! Dude, Im going to assume you have some crazy ass med school debt you will never crawl out of.

Now, I was speaking with some people recently and it came around the story of the guy who completely screws up his undergrad record or gets kicked out of med school etc etc and has a ton of debt and simply disappears, only to resurface under a new name at a distant community college. He starts fresh sort of speak..

Many people consider this "Mulligan" approach impractical and the story of people have done it as urban myth...not true! in fact as long as you havent been fingerprinted by a state medical board, it is very doable and there are book guides to help.

I was highly skeptical but now am a believer that such a feat is very possible.