Can you guys who've taken the MCAT recommend a good test center in Chicago area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harveyking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. When registering for the April exam, I could not find University of Illinois at Chicago. Does that mean it's been ruled out from the test center list?

I've seen Kaplan rater, but it doesn't seem to help at all. Can you guys who've taken the exam in Chicago tell me the best test center in Chicago? BTW, my first concern is Desk Space(better to be large and traditional) and secondly, the environment should be quiet and comfortable (less traffic and Air Flight Show).

Thank you very much for your input and Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not in Chicago but I found NIU (Dekalb) to be great! Good desk space, not piled on top of each other, quiet, good proctors and nice room.

uchicago was good. held in the old business school, so there was plenty of desk space, cushy chairs, and no outside noise. on a saturday, though, you won't have many food options for lunch time without travelling or packing your own.

there is a horror story of a street musician playing his sax outside of loyola during the test some time ago. he refused to stop playing when asked.

i'd be wary of iit, as it may be the case that the green line el passes near the testing center. anyone know?

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tested at my alma mater- uchicago, and they put us in one of the lecture halls in Harper, with stadium rows, and tables that go the width of the room. They seat you every other seat, so you have lots of room to spread out. When I took it in august of 2004, I think there was a little construction outside, but it was very brief. The construction should be done by now. I don't know what other classrooms are usually used for the uchicago testing site, but there's plenty of places on campus with non-tiny-desks, but tables instead.

whatever you do...register early for the MCAT. I made the mistake of registering late and got stuck at some community college even more south of uchicago on 75th street or something. Man, that place was Ghet-TO. The desks sucked, people kept knocking on the door during the test, and apparently in one of the rooms the proctor actually gave the students more time than was needed on one section and less on the other (those students had to retake the mcat from what i heard!). My proctor could barely read the script in front of him and it was a really uncomfortable experience overall.

IIT is good, U chicago is good, NU is good.

UIC is a site only for the August test, but their desks are small anyway. U of C is good.

Thank you pals and gals!
I've just registered for UC.
Good luck to you all!