can you take the mcat in 2 sittings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just heard that it's possible to take the new mcat on two separate days. As in, do one part one day and the second part the other. Is this true?
If it is, has anyone tried it / have any opinion on if this would be a good idea to do? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone I just heard that it's possible to take the new mcat on two separate days. As in, do one part one day and the second part the other. Is this true?
If it is, has anyone tried it / have any opinion on if this would be a good idea to do? Thanks!

No lol

You can do that with practice tests, not the actual MCAT. I wouldn't even recommend doing that with the practice tests. Do them all in one sitting to get used to the pressure and fatigue because you're gonna be feeling it during the test.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you sure? Because I know two people who are taking this new test in two sittings, and I'm just confused as to how that's possible lol.

Are you sure? Because I'm just confused as to how that's possible lol.

Pretty sure, that's why I was surprised to hear it. They either have special permissions, of which I doubt this is an option or they're lying. If they did that AAMC might loose some psychological and fatigue component of the MCAT. Call AAMC for clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The is the first I am also hearing this. However I do know that exams such as the CBEST or CSET (don't remember which) allow you to split the exam up if you choose to.

This is weird. I took a cab to my testing center at 645 am and the driver said that she took someone to the same testing center for a test that spanned two days and was also 7 hours. She said that the person took the first part the first day and the second part the second day. I was surprised because I have never heard of that. Maybe its another test? But I don't know any other 7 hour test? Is the Step exam 2 days? Idk I was surprised.

Not to be rude or ignorant but how does diabetes or Crohn's warrant accommodation?

I would assume their accommodations would have to do with extra/unlimited bathroom access for someone with Crohn's and maybe permission for more snacks or something for diabetes. They actually seem much more reasonable to me than the accommodations for ADHD.

I would assume their accommodations would have to do with extra/unlimited bathroom access for someone with Crohn's and maybe permission for more snacks or something for diabetes. They actually seem much more reasonable to me than the accommodations for ADHD.

Ah, that makes sense and as someone who was recently diagnosed with ADHD I agree.

Its over two days if you have extended time, at least from what i've heard. tho idk how med schools see you if your mcat has extended time?

If you get extended time or extra breaks for any reason they split it between two days. It's just bc the test is so long now. They didn't do that with the old one. I didn't get extra time but I learned all this when I went through the accommodation process just to take a pill in the room with me.