What’s the earliest day to take the MCAT without it being considered in the 24/25 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Savasasin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m applying in the 24-25 cycle using the MCAT I took last summer, but I’m planning on retaking it for Canadian med schools whose deadline to submit the app is in October since this score doesn’t meet the cutoff for some schools in Canada but is fairly competitive for US med schools. What’s the earilest date I can take it without it being considered by US med schools just in case I get a lower score than my current one? Would July be ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I’m applying in the 24-25 cycle using the MCAT I took last summer, but I’m planning on retaking it for Canadian med schools whose deadline to submit the app is in October since this score doesn’t meet the cutoff for some schools in Canada but is fairly competitive for US med schools. What’s the earilest date I can take it without it being considered by US med schools just in case I get a lower score than my current one? Would July be ok?
Since the AMCAS application is administered by the same organization that runs the MCAT, the US MD schools will see all your MCAT scores.
US interviews could start as early as July or August, so you will have to balance your wish for a higher score for Canadian schools with getting your score to those schools early enough.
MCAT scores are usually good for 3 years for AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since the AMCAS application is administered by the same organization that runs the MCAT, the US MD schools will see all your MCAT scores.
US interviews could start as early as July or August, so you will have to balance your wish for a higher score for Canadian schools with getting your score to those schools early enough.
MCAT scores are usually good for 3 years for AMCAS.
I don’t need a higher score for US med schools since I’m applying DO as well and my score (513) is well above the average. Will it be a bad look for USMDs if another score appears late in the cycle? I really dont wanna miss a cycle with canadian meds just cuz my score doesnt meet their cutoffs.

Ok so this isn't the question you're asking at all but I'm here to shower you with unsolicited advice.

As a Canadian who went to a US DO school, it was the single best decision of my life. Use this as a chance to get yourself into the US - get the F1 visa, don't worry about the J1/H1b thing (it's easy), get a US residency and then start your career down here. Trust me - it's better. The hospitals are better, the education is better, the work life balance is better. The income is way better. It will never be easier to get yourself a green card/citizenship than to go through the process through medical school/residency. J1 visa waiver jobs aren't hard to find.

Say F U to Canadian schools, trust me. Future you will thank yourself.

Reactions: 1 user