Canadian DVM Program --> Working in U.S. as a Vet??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogtormac

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope this cycle is treating you all well and that you are being extra kind to yourselves during this stressful time. I am in my second application cycle and I am an American, OOS applicant everywhere. If I am unsuccessful this year, I may apply to a few vet schools in Canada next year (my first time applying internationally). I do know to do my research of course and I know not all of the Canadian schools take international students/don't speak English... Aside from the basics, anyone have any good info or experience with this? Do you still graduate with a DVM? Additional tests to take in the US..Or just the NAVLE and state exams for licensure? Lastly, it's a stupid question... but is there a stigma against Canadian vets working in America? Thanks in advance for the help and again, good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Hope this cycle is treating you all well and that you are being extra kind to yourselves during this stressful time. I am in my second application cycle and I am an American, OOS applicant everywhere. If I am unsuccessful this year, I may apply to a few vet schools in Canada next year (my first time applying internationally). I do know to do my research of course and I know not all of the Canadian schools take international students/don't speak English... Aside from the basics, anyone have any good info or experience with this? Do you still graduate with a DVM? Additional tests to take in the US..Or just the NAVLE and state exams for licensure? Lastly, it's a stupid question... but is there a stigma against Canadian vets working in America? Thanks in advance for the help and again, good luck everyone!
Not sure about the specifics, but PEI allows you to practice in US, Canada, and the UK. Also, many spectacular vets come from Canadian programs - I know a few that practice here! There might be some elitism in the states but it’s uncommon and meaningless. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
So AVC (PEI), OVC (Ontario), and WCVM (Saskatchewan) all take international applicants. At any of these schools you will receive a DVM from an AVMA accredited institution which means after graduating and passing your NAVLE you can apply for a state license in the US without additional hoops to jump through.

Regarding the language comment, the vet school in Quebec requires fluency in French and I'm not sure if they take international students.

I can answer any specific questions you have about WCVM in PM, but beyond word of mouth I don't have first-hand experience at the other schools.

I'm not aware of any bias existing against the Canadian schools since they are all AVMA accredited.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m American, attended vet school at AVC (PEI) and am practicing in the US. NAVLE is all you need plus whatever state license.

I personally have not experienced any negativity/stigma for where I went to school. In fact people always ask me a lot about Canada and what it was like going to school there.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a second year vet student at Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) and I'm from the United States. Everything here is exactly the same as a U.S school in terms of curriculum. NAVLE is all you need and the license for whatever state you plan to work in.

The Canadian Vet schools are well known especially Internationally. The only thing that international applicants need to be aware of is high tuition prices, it increases each year.

I'm a second year vet student at Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) and I'm from the United States. Everything here is exactly the same as a U.S school in terms of curriculum. NAVLE is all you need and the license for whatever state you plan to work in.

The Canadian Vet schools are well known especially Internationally. The only thing that international applicants need to be aware of is high tuition prices, it increases each year.
Do you happen to have any links/info on international tuition because I can’t seem to find any exact answers anywhere? Any info would be greatly appreciated !!

Do you happen to have any links/info on international tuition because I can’t seem to find any exact answers anywhere? Any info would be greatly appreciated !!
Yes, here is the link for OVC tuition, if you click on Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, you'll see this year's tuition cost.
Website: Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 Full-Time Tuition and Fees for International Undergraduate Students on the Guelph Campus | Student Financial Services
I also attached a screenshot from the website.
Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 1.18.16 PM.png

Thanks so much! This is super random, but do you know how close the campus is to the nearest mountain?
Yeah, no worries, so there are more hills, cliffs, and conservation areas, some are very close and some are about an hour away. They consider some places here to be "mountains" (I don't consider these places as mountains, I grew up in Oregon, and lived very close to Mt. Hood (3,426 meters, or 11,240 feet, so I haven't seen or heard of anything that's comparable here), there is a "mountain" called Boler Mountain (it's like a ski resort) and it's about 1.5 hours away, and people ski/snowboard there, but it's only 265 meters. If you go further north, you might have better options, but it's a longer drive. There aren't many options in Southern Ontario.