Canadian Qualifying Programs for Foreign Trained Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentysta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a foreign trained dentist (but a Canadian citizen). I have just passed my AFK, and am looking into applying to the 2 year Qualifying Program in Canada. The universities I am consider are: UBC, University of Alberta, University of Manitoba, Western, U of T, & Dalhousie.

My questions are for those who currently attend/have heard anything about these programs:

1. How was the interview process? The pre-clinical test? (plus any tips would be appreciated!)

2. For University of Manitoba: it says on the 5th day of the "interview" there is an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination). Does anybody now what to expect?

3. For those who are actually attending any of these programs:

-How is the atmosphere? Do the foreign trained dentists and those in the 4 year program associate with each other? (i.e. are they in separate groups in clinics/class, or are they mixed in with 3rd year program? How about from the social point of view?) Is it a more competitive or a more co-operative atmosphere?

-Do the international students get treated differently than the 4-yr students? (ex. get less attention from profs? Do they have higher expectations from foreign students?)

- Profs vs students in general: adequate number of teachers in clinics? are they generally open to questions (or are they more annoyed at them?)

-How are the quality of the actual clinics?

-How about the actual experience in clinics? (ex. prostho, extractions, etc) Do you feel there is an adequate amount of patients?

-How is the location of the clinics? Easy access or do you need a car? General opinion about the city?

-Overall impression about the experience: do you (or your friend) recommend this program?

-For those that completed it: did you feel the qualifying program was worth your while?

I am interested to know anything about these programs…..so don't feel you have to answer all of the questions! :)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having more than 200 international books in soft format. It contains all standard mcq books and number of reference books also.

Contact for more details at [email protected]

Hi everyone,

I am a foreign trained dentist (but a Canadian citizen). I have just passed my AFK, and am looking into applying to the 2 year Qualifying Program in Canada. The universities I am consider are: UBC, University of Alberta, University of Manitoba, Western, U of T, & Dalhousie.

My questions are for those who currently attend/have heard anything about these programs:

1. How was the interview process? The pre-clinical test? (plus any tips would be appreciated!)

2. For University of Manitoba: it says on the 5th day of the "interview" there is an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination). Does anybody now what to expect?

3. For those who are actually attending any of these programs:

-How is the atmosphere? Do the foreign trained dentists and those in the 4 year program associate with each other? (i.e. are they in separate groups in clinics/class, or are they mixed in with 3rd year program? How about from the social point of view?) Is it a more competitive or a more co-operative atmosphere?

-Do the international students get treated differently than the 4-yr students? (ex. get less attention from profs? Do they have higher expectations from foreign students?)

- Profs vs students in general: adequate number of teachers in clinics? are they generally open to questions (or are they more annoyed at them?)

-How are the quality of the actual clinics?

-How about the actual experience in clinics? (ex. prostho, extractions, etc) Do you feel there is an adequate amount of patients?

-How is the location of the clinics? Easy access or do you need a car? General opinion about the city?

-Overall impression about the experience: do you (or your friend) recommend this program?

-For those that completed it: did you feel the qualifying program was worth your while?

I am interested to know anything about these programs…..so don't feel you have to answer all of the questions! :)

Thanks in advance!
hey! its beeen 2 years!Any luck?Did u get accepted easily?