Canadian Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamsicle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian citizen attending university in California. I moved to the U.S. from Ottawa when I was 3 so I have been here in the U.S. nearly all of my life. I would like to go back to Canada for dental school and eventually practice there, so I was wondering which schools accept a fair amount of international students or any at all actually and how difficult it would be to gain acceptance. Would my canadian citizenship be advantageous at all when applying? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...if you still have your Canadian citizenship (like me...i've been in the states for 8 years) then you're not considered international in Canada...

Yes I'm still a citizen; I was born in Ottawa. So even though I'm not residing in Canada, I'll be considered as equally as any other Canadian student applying? Even for financial aid purposes? Sorry if these are silly questions, I'm just not familiar with the rules.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i'm pretty sure...I'm a permanent resident in the states but I went to UofT for two years and paid Canadian fees....now i'm back in the states...transferred schools and hoping to get into Canada (or the states...anywhere would be great)

yeah, it shudnt be a problem. But remember, since you're a resident of Ontario, you'll be considered out of province when you apply to schools outside of ontario; puts you into a lot more competition, thats it.

I think the OP will be considered out of province for whereever he applies since he/she hasn't actually resided there for a period of time before starting school there, if he/she get in. I am not sure however, so e-mail U of T to get an idea.

dreamsicle said:
I'm a Canadian citizen attending university in California. I moved to the U.S. from Ottawa when I was 3 so I have been here in the U.S. nearly all of my life. I would like to go back to Canada for dental school and eventually practice there, so I was wondering which schools accept a fair amount of international students or any at all actually and how difficult it would be to gain acceptance. Would my canadian citizenship be advantageous at all when applying? Thanks a lot!

do you have a home here?
do you plan to stay here?
have you paid taxes here?
are you a permanent resident?

Ya I'm an American citizen as well; my parents have a home and so live/work in Texas, and I reside in California for university for the majority of the year. So, ya, taxes paid here in the U.S, not Canada. But I plan on practicing in Canada after dental school, so I would not remain in the U.S. after my education. I've got various reasons for doing so - parents planning on moving back to Ottawa, other family there, friends. Plus Canada is a sweet place to live. But applying to just Canadian schools would be stupid of me so I'm guessing I'll have to add U.S. schools to the mix.

dreamsicle said:
But applying to just Canadian schools would be stupid of me so I'm guessing I'll have to add U.S. schools to the mix.

yes, good idea

the average gpa in western of the accepted applicants is around 3.88
in toronto, they all had over 3.7 i read

its really hard to get in here, thats why i'll be applying to the usa

nope..they're all special and unique :D

So do I have to take the Canadian DAT? I read on another post that it is only offered twice a year or something like that and that Canadian schools don't accept U.S. DAT because it doesn't contain the carving portion of the test. And would I have to fly all the way over to Canada and take it or do they offer the Canadian DAT in the U.S.? Thanks.

hmm.. would i be better off doing dental school in the states and then practicing in canada? is that an option?