Canadian Student, US Citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capcom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just looking for some advice on the topic....not too sure how common this is.

I am a US citizen but a permanent resident in Canada. Went to a Canadian undergrad.
I was wondering how adcoms view my situation? Do the reservations about accepting international students come from citizenship issues? educational issues? Combination of both?
We (in the US) care that you can complete your education and ultimately pay off your loans. There are impediments for applicants on student visas on both counts. They do not qualify for the largest source of medical school financing, and most residencies do not support their student visa. Those programs that do, may not be in the specialty or region that a similarly qualified resident student could get. It can be heartbreaking.

Admittedly, some of the most highly respected residencies in the country are completely fine with international grads, but gambling that even a third of the internationals (however smart) will distinguish themselves sufficiently to compete at these rarefied programs is a bad bet.

For these reasons and those related to state mandates, only 74 MD schools accept applications from international grads and when they do it's most often single digits.

You, however will be fine since none of this applies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a similar situation as a dual citizen who did undergrad in Canada. You should be viewed the same as any other American student. Other than one school who flat out doesn't take Canadian courses (I'm looking at you Mizzou...) I haven't run into any issues. The top schools (U of T, Mcgill, UBC...) seem to be pretty well respected.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. My cousin was in a similar situation (Canadian permanent resident and undergrad, US citizen). He's now an M2 at a top 20 school.

Most med schools consider Canadian and US undergrads as equivalent. You won't be considered as international. You just probably will be considered as OOS everywhere if you don't have state residency.

You are a US citizen so loan issues shouldn't come up.

You are from a Canadian school which might bring a little diversity to a medical school that's looking for a mix of students with different experiences.