Retaking the MCAT and Applying to USMD as a ORM Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianInLimbo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some input into my plan and had a couple questions. For some background information, my GPA is a 4.0 (both cGPA and sGPA), and my MCAT is a 520 (130/126/132/132). Unfortunately, my MCAT score prevents me from applying to many Canadian schools, and as you all know Canadian schools rarely look at MCAT holistically (either cutoffs or only look at CARS, which puts my MCAT score in the 72nd percentile). Thus, I am planning on retaking late August.

As for my extracurriculars, I have ~300 hours of volunteering in various fields (working with children in inner-city schools, long-term one-on-one tutoring with children, etc.), ~500-600 hours of extracurricular activities (including being responsible for financing a local TEDx event, various club exec positions), ~3000 hours of sports (national level player that was ranked top 5 in-province with multiple provincial championships), and ~1000 hours of research (but not pubs unfortunately). My employment is quite diverse but short-term, which I recognize may be a downfall - I have ~700 hours working in fast food, ~200 hours working as a cashier, and some other odd jobs here and there.

My biggest problem? I have essentially zero clinical experiencing (~30 hours shadowing, ~30 hours hospital volunteering) for this upcoming USMD cycle. I'm going to take a course that is pretty short so I can start working as a service worker/porter post-graduation, but will this be a red flag and look like I'm checking a box? I genuinely had no time to work during undergrad as I wanted to focus on maintaining my GPA (which can't be changed post-graduation), but as soon as I graduate I'm going to look for jobs in a healthcare environment. One of my questions is, can I put prospective hours into AMCAS, and will schools look at them seriously and not as a bunch of fluff? For example, I would ideally be working 16 hours a week while studying for the MCAT - would I be able to factor this in to my clinical experience? My personal statement is heavily based on my personal experience as a patient, so not having experiences to talk about from clinical volunteering/work would not be a detriment to my PS in my opinion, but I could be wrong!

My second question is, what kind of school list should I ideally be applying to? I bought MSAR and looked at Canadian friendly schools, but I'm pretty new to the USMD process. With my stats, volunteering, ECs, and employment, what kind of schools should I be looking at (i.e. T50, T30, T20, etc.)?

I appreciate any input, and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to retake a MCAT of 520 for US MD schools. With only 30 hours of hospital volunteering your chances for interviews are limited.
Rather than studying for a MCAT retake, instead accumulate 150+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact and another 20 hours of physician shadowing. Prospective hours have minimal value.

Reactions: 1 user
You do not need to retake a MCAT of 520 for US MD schools. With only 30 hours of hospital volunteering your chances for interviews are limited.
Rather than studying for a MCAT retake, instead accumulate 150+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact and another 20 hours of physician shadowing. Prospective hours have minimal value.
Hey, thanks for reply! I'm planning on retaking so I have a better chance this Canadian cycle, and also because my MCAT expires for the following 2025 USMD cycle. If I can accumulate ~100 hours of clinical volunteering, what kinds of schools what you recommend I apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you change your citizenship status, your goal is to find schools that would consider you for a seat in their class. MD and DO schools. Network with any Canadian student studying in a US medical school. Possible resource: f1doctor.

Also while US schools look at files more holistically than the Canadian schools (apparently), they are also looking for students who fulfill their mission and community impact. That will also work against you if you have little connection to the US programs you wish to apply to. Stat-wise you address the desire to admit "superstar" applicants among schools that will take Canadians.

For example, I would ideally be working 16 hours a week while studying for the MCAT - would I be able to factor this in to my clinical experience?
No you cannot include hours studying for the MCAT as "clinical experience."

My personal statement is heavily based on my personal experience as a patient, so not having experiences to talk about from clinical volunteering/work would not be a detriment to my PS in my opinion, but I could be wrong!
Actually, I would not focus your entire personal statement on just your personal experience as a patient. The major prompt to answer is "why medicine" and what impact you want to have as a doctor based on your clinical observations and other experiences that connect you with people unlike yourself.

Hey, thanks for reply! I'm planning on retaking so I have a better chance this Canadian cycle, and also because my MCAT expires for the following 2025 USMD cycle. If I can accumulate ~100 hours of clinical volunteering, what kinds of schools what you recommend I apply to?
You could try these MD schools with your stats:
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
George Washington
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
U Penn
St. Louis
Stanford
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University (in St. Louis-they like high stat applicants)
Wayne State
Michigan State
You should be aware that for top tier schools you will be competing with applicants with similar stats as yours AND many hundreds or thousands of hours of clinical experience.