Canadian Student - Where should I apply if at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Pardon my inquiry I understand it may be repetitive but I honestly need some advice and direction. I'm a Canadian undergraduate student with an anticipating graduation in coming November or June as I only have two courses left to graduate. My major is Communications and I switched into it from Life Sciences with the prospective of possibly gear towards health promotion/communication career-wise. My minor is in Health, Aging, and Society.

My cGPA is around 3.48- 3.5 and my MCAT score is 24 (10 PS, 6 VR, 8 BS). However, I do have quite a few attempts from the past with very low scores 11+ as I was taking the test for the VR section only.

I have one year of first year Biology but rather low grades due to first year problems (C - and B-) and one semester of general chemistry (D+). I have a strong upward trend with the recent years being around 3.7 GPA wise and later took a couple more science courses, namely Biology second year (Ecology) got an A - , Astronomy (B), Pyschobiology (A-), third year Kinesiology (A). All my health courses have strong grades as well from B - A+.

I'm missing gen chem 1 sems, organic chemistry, biochem (if required), physics, and math (again if required). I have taken pyschology (B-) and a couple of sociology/social science courses.

My EC's are moderately strong. Founded and presided a club for 3 years and expanded it to 500+ members. Volunteered internationally for 5-6 months as an Allied Healthcare Support Worker. Research in Neurology (no pub), worked as a summer Research Communications Coordinator, dance, sports, etc.

Based on my case, do I have a chance at all as a Canadian student? If so, where should I apply?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration

Members don't see this ad.

Is that due to the missing pre-reqs or anything else? What if I enroll in all the pre-req classes during time of application and complete them by the end of the year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that due to the missing pre-reqs or anything else? What if I enroll in all the pre-req classes during time of application and complete them by the end of the year?
It's a combination of a really low MCAT (after multiple attempts) a low gpa and international status. There is also the judgement issue of taking the MCAT more than once without taking the content associated with a good result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
gyngyn is right. If you can retake some of those C-/D+ classes and bump up your MCAT you might have a shot at some of the more Canadian-friendly DO schools, but I wouldn't count on getting in to an MD program.

It will take you at least 1-2 years to become a competitive applicant, you are missing way too many pre-reqs and multiple abbysmal MCAT scores is almost a death knell.