Can't afford to go to my coming interviews ( what would you do?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have received 8 interviews and I went to five of them

is it possible to reschedule for post-December? or will the schools presume I am using them as a backup and reject me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
6 interviews are more than enough. I wouldn't worry about missing out on 2 schools if I were in your situation.

Reactions: 3 users
like 8_man said 6 is more than enough congrats on getting all those interviews! good luck! I hope you got in! those are all really good schools I have a dentist I work with that went to Case.. what is your reasoning on choosing Maryland over USC?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
like 8_man said 6 is more than enough congrats on getting all those interviews! good luck! I hope you got in! those are all really good schools I have a dentist I work with that went to Case.. what is your reasoning on choosing Maryland over USC?
Cost? I have no clue how much Maryland is but I know USC is crazy expensive.

I had the same choice to make after 8 invites and pushed 2 of them out to post Dec. 1.
I interviewed at my top choices by mid Sept so I didn't want to miss more fall classes.

Last edited:
Dont be afraid to hurt USC's feelings by requesting to reschedule their interview date to post-Dec. With 6+ interviews already, that's a financially smart choice (an even bigger one if you can avoid attending USC altogether).

So I have received 8 interviews and I went to five of them ( UF,NOVA,LECOM,UDM,CASE). coming up I have Maryland, Rutgers, and USC. I really can't afford to go to all three, so I decided to only go to Maryland. I am I doing the right thing here?

is it possible to reschedule for post-December? or will the schools presume I am using them as a backup and reject me?

If it's feasible I would try my best to find a way to attend the Rutger's interview pre-december as well.

I declined interviews after my 6th invite. If I were you, I'd pick the least expensive school to interview at. I think that's Maryland, so good choice.

I declined interviews after my 6th invite. If I were you, I'd pick the least expensive school to interview at. I think that's Maryland, so good choice.

unless your coming into the military.. and then it doesn't matter what school you choose

Make SURE you go to Maryland. One of the best programs in the country in terms of well-roundedness.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have went to Rutgers too, very clinic orientated like NYU, without the huge price tag.

Can't take a greyhound bus?

You can ask to reschedule post December just to keep your options as open as possible but I think you will be fine just going to Maryland. Congrats on all the interviews!

Oh boy I also went to 6 interviews, deferred an interview for post-Dec and still feel like it's not enough. Statistically, I should get in to at least 1 school, right? RIGHT? But what if I REALLY suck at all my interviews and DON'T get in anywhere? Now I'm thinking too much...

Reactions: 1 users
Oh boy I also went to 6 interviews, deferred an interview for post-Dec and still feel like it's not enough. Statistically, I should get in to at least 1 school, right? RIGHT? But what if I REALLY suck at all my interviews and DON'T get in anywhere? Now I'm thinking too much...
Yes, you are thinking way too much and over analyzing it.. just do your best at the interview that's all you can do..

Reactions: 3 users
thank you guys!! I appreciate all of your input.

I feel your pain man. I was in the same boat as you. I would advise just to go to your top choices now and pursue the other ones after Dec 1. USC should be last on your last just because of the cost.
Seems like your are a Fl resident, so obviously go to those and after that the ones your prioritize.

Reactions: 1 users
There's always a chance that the 8th school you interview at is the only acceptance. We don't know the statistics on any scenario like this, but you can't rule out that possibility!

There's always a chance that the 8th school you interview at is the only acceptance. We don't know the statistics on any scenario like this, but you can't rule out that possibility!
Yes, I am aware of that possibility :/

Think of it like this:

Spend an extra $1-2k for traveling expenses to help better your chances, vs waiting a year bc you don't want to spend the extra money and missed out on $100k earning potential a year early.

I think I would spend $1-2k and better my chances. Even if you have to take a loan, you can pay that 1-2k off in a month or so after dental school/before dental school.

That's what I did.

Best of luck

Have you considered Airbnb and Uber to cut down on traveling expenses? It can really make a big difference, especially if you are going to many interviews. I think you can save several hundred dollars by avoiding hotels and taxis. Let me know if you need some referral links with free credit to get started on those! Just send me a message.

I would like to reiterate that you should go to Rutgers as well. Don't worry about usc, none of us can afford that school.

I would like to reiterate that you should go to Rutgers as well. Don't worry about usc, none of us can afford that school.

I agree. If Rutgers is one school you'd consider going to, they fill up usually by December with very little movement on the waitlist I've heard. Its a great program if you're interested in clinic.

quick update: I am going to Rutgers ! . thank you guys for the advice, I sincerely appreciate it.

I declined interviews after my 6th invite.
I was gonna do the same thing but then my 7th pops up. The fact that it's the most expensive school in this country doesn't help at all. I've been debating about this for a few days. Fam please give me an advice, should I attend my 7th interview in Nov or just call it good after 6?

I was gonna do the same thing but then my 7th pops up. The fact that it's the most expensive school in this country doesn't help at all. I've been debating about this for a few days. Fam please give me an advice, should I attend my 7th interview in Nov or just call it good after 6?
USC ?

Unless it's your dream school, I'd decline. Especially since it's expensive.