Can't decide which MCAT prep to go with

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winner32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm registered for the Sept 3rd exam and will be starting studying soon (self study) once I decide which prep I will be using for content review.

I'm down to two: Kaplan and EK

There's pros and cons to both (i.e., kaplan not having as many practice questions but more detailed review vs EK having less detail but straight to the point and practice questions geared similar to AAMC tests). I really don't want to buy both so based on people who have written the April Mcat/anyone currently studying, which one should I go with?

As a side note, I took most of my sciences in 1st and 2nd year and have not taken any biochem or psych/soc books. Also, is there a specific section where one prep company covers a subject better than the other? I've heard that TPR is better for psych/soc than both Kaplan and EK. What about Biochem?

Aside from content review, which FL tests should I get that don't require purchasing the a package or enrolling in a course? There's so many to chose from idk which ones to go with. If I buy Kaplan set it comes with 3 FL but i dont think that's enough. Can I purchase TPR FL without having to buy all the books?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam

Nothing beats biochem like a good old college textbook. . .

Some of these reviews aren't helpful. You have handful saying kaplan is good and another handful saying its didn't prepare them. There's no consistency in the reviews. Also a few are saying don't even use prep materials because they are a waste... wtf?

I'm going to go with Kaplan most likely anyways but my concern is 3 FL along with the AAMC FL won't be enough. Other FL's you need to buy all the books/enroll in course if I'm not mistaken (with exception of NS).

Last edited:
Some of these reviews aren't helpful. You have handful saying kaplan is good and another handful saying its didn't prepare them. There's no consistency in the reviews. Also a few are saying don't even use prep materials because they are a waste... wtf?

Well, there's no consistency because you have a bunch of students taking a brand new test using brand new prep books who all come from different backgrounds. There's not going to be a consensus on prep material for at least another year or two.

Other FL's you need to buy all the books/enroll in course if I'm not mistaken (with exception of NS).

Not quite true. You can get 4 FLs just by buying TPR's Complete MCAT, or 3 of their FLs just by buying any of their single-subject prep books. And then EK has 3 online CBTs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there's no consistency because you have a bunch of students taking a brand new test using brand new prep books who all come from different backgrounds. There's not going to be a consensus on prep material for at least another year or two.

Not quite true. You can get 4 FLs just by buying TPR's Complete MCAT, or 3 of their FLs just by buying any of their single-subject prep books. And then EK has 3 online CBTs.

Yeah I guess so. Just frustrating being a 2015 writer since there is still a lot of discrepancies when it comes to best overall prep.

Oh I didn't know you could get TPR's FLs from buying single subject books. I'll definitely consider that (psychology/sociology seems to good). Thanks a lot @mcatjelly !

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I guess so. Just frustrating being a 2015 writer since there is still a lot of discrepancies when it comes to best overall prep.

Oh I didn't know you could get TPR's FLs from buying single subject books. I'll definitely consider that (psychology/sociology seems to good). Thanks a lot @mcatjelly !
Supplement anything TPR skipped over with Khan or just wiki it. I got TPR so... that's my advice. : P And please do the passage practice from Khan... I feel like hardly anyone's trying to and just relying on those lame FLs.

So I'm registered for the Sept 3rd exam and will be starting studying soon (self study) once I decide which prep I will be using for content review.

I'm down to two: Kaplan and EK

There's pros and cons to both (i.e., kaplan not having as many practice questions but more detailed review vs EK having less detail but straight to the point and practice questions geared similar to AAMC tests). I really don't want to buy both so based on people who have written the April Mcat/anyone currently studying, which one should I go with?

As a side note, I took most of my sciences in 1st and 2nd year and have not taken any biochem or psych/soc books. Also, is there a specific section where one prep company covers a subject better than the other? I've heard that TPR is better for psych/soc than both Kaplan and EK. What about Biochem?

Aside from content review, which FL tests should I get that don't require purchasing the a package or enrolling in a course? There's so many to chose from idk which ones to go with. If I buy Kaplan set it comes with 3 FL but i dont think that's enough. Can I purchase TPR FL without having to buy all the books?

Thanks!

How did you get it down to Kaplan vs EK?
What made you throw away NS, or TPR, or XYZ?

I get the feeling that some test prep companies are being as lazy as possible without losing customers. For example, some test-prep companies STILL have their practice exam format with all the questions showing up all at once as opposed to adapting to the new format.

On the other hand maybe some find the prep-courses useful.

Some might even argue that prep-companies don't really have any proof that they help students perform better. For example, according to McGaghie, Downing, & Kubilus (2004), "current research [addressing the impact of commercial test preparation courses on standardized, undergraduate medical examinations] lacks control and rigor; the incremental validity of the commercial courses on medical examination performance, if any, is extremely small; and evidence in support of the courses is weak or nonexistent; almost no details are given about the form and conduct of the commercial test preparation courses."

The study might be from 10 years ago but you don't exactly see the test-prep companies showing hard statistics. Maybe it's just a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo to get you to empty your pockets.

So be careful out there.

Source: McGaghie, W. C., Downing, S. M., & Kubilius, R. (2004). What is the impact of commercial test preparation courses on medical examination performance?. Teaching and learning in medicine, 16(2), 202-211.

How did you get it down to Kaplan vs EK?
What made you throw away NS, or TPR, or XYZ?

I get the feeling that some test prep companies are being as lazy as possible without losing customers. For example, some test-prep companies STILL have their practice exam format with all the questions showing up all at once as opposed to adapting to the new format.

On the other hand maybe some find the prep-courses useful.

Some might even argue that prep-companies don't really have any proof that they help students perform better. For example, according to McGaghie, Downing, & Kubilus (2004), "current research [addressing the impact of commercial test preparation courses on standardized, undergraduate medical examinations] lacks control and rigor; the incremental validity of the commercial courses on medical examination performance, if any, is extremely small; and evidence in support of the courses is weak or nonexistent; almost no details are given about the form and conduct of the commercial test preparation courses."

The study might be from 10 years ago but you don't exactly see the test-prep companies showing hard statistics. Maybe it's just a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo to get you to empty your pockets.

So be careful out there.

Source: McGaghie, W. C., Downing, S. M., & Kubilius, R. (2004). What is the impact of commercial test preparation courses on medical examination performance?. Teaching and learning in medicine, 16(2), 202-211.

Of course there's no knowing which company will give me best chance at highest score. There's no guarantees. But based on reviews around internet (in particular SDN), Kaplan and EK seem to be the best ones in terms of content and practice questions. But thats not saying much at this point in the game since all of the prep materials seem weak in general compared to the ones that were available for the old mcat . I hear NS CARS is decent so I might supplement what that, but I have heard nothing but bad reviews for TPR. I'm sure they all have their pros and cons but based on reputation and current reviews Kaplan seems to be the best so far. I'm definitely not just going to rely on the books though. Will definitely supplement with Khan and I also purchased TPR for psych/soc since it seems to cover more detail than Kaplan.

Do the EK test do 1 Q at a time? From what I can find none of the standalone tests for sale does the AAMC 1 Q at a time format right? Anyone care to comment?

Of course there's no knowing which company will give me best chance at highest score. There's no guarantees. But based on reviews around internet (in particular SDN), Kaplan and EK seem to be the best ones in terms of content and practice questions. But thats not saying much at this point in the game since all of the prep materials seem weak in general compared to the ones that were available for the old mcat . I hear NS CARS is decent so I might supplement what that, but I have heard nothing but bad reviews for TPR. I'm sure they all have their pros and cons but based on reputation and current reviews Kaplan seems to be the best so far. I'm definitely not just going to rely on the books though. Will definitely supplement with Khan and I also purchased TPR for psych/soc since it seems to cover more detail than Kaplan.

Then go read some of the score updates from April 2015 test. Most people did very well taking the TPR course. Kaplan had a poor reputation for the old MCAT and I can't see how a new test changes that.

Then go read some of the score updates from April 2015 test. Most people did very well taking the TPR course. Kaplan had a poor reputation for the old MCAT and I can't see how a new test changes that.

Never said anything about the course, rather the books. If we are talking april test takers I saw several posts saying they used kaplan books and scored 85-100% overall. However, I think @mcatjelly said it best in another thread. There's no secret set of books that guarantees you the score you want, rather use what you have and supplement in areas you think are lacking.