Capella University PsyD in school counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleemuffins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm just about to finish my Masters, and I wanted to go straight into a PsyD program if possible. Anyway, I have a friend who goes to Capella for her Masters in Behavioral Psychology and right now she been trying to encourage me to apply to Capella. Now I'm a little bit apprehensive because I just don't know anyone with a degree from there, but it's my understanding there popular and the PsyD in school psychology is intriguing. If you have any information let me know.

P.S: If you're against online degrees don't bother to add your 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean school psychology (and not school counseling). Aside from learning about the rampant issues associated with receiving a doctoral degree online, I think you should first research the field you're planning on investing tons of time and money into. There are major differences between school psychology and school counseling.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm assuming you mean school psychology (and not school counseling). Aside from learning about the rampant issues associated with receiving a doctoral degree online, I think you should first research the field you're planning on investing tons of time and money into. There are major differences between school psychology and school counseling.

A lot of degrees are online its 2020

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The program isn't accredited by the APA or the NASP, so you will have an impossible time actually getting any sort of license.

Reactions: 7 users
Two responders are employers who have stated that they throw any job applications from this school in the trash.

p.s., It's generally a bad idea to try to force the idea that you get to decide the situations when you lack standing. That might sound like someone picking a fight. It's not. If you walk into a job interview and said, "I don't want to hear anything about my degree being online"... well, you'd likely not get the job. If you walked into a financial adviser and told him/her, "I don't want to hear anything about changing my spending habits", they'd happily take your money for their time, give you advice that danced around the subject, and let you make mistakes. Same for personal trainers. A hundred times more for court. At the end of the day, that attitude mildly annoys someone for about 2 minutes, and hurts you a lot longer. Ask what you want, but more information is generally better than less.

Reactions: 2 users
A lot of degrees are online its 2020
I think what people are trying to say is that the world is indeed changing and online education is a lot more common than years before. However, that is very atypical for traditional doctoral programs designed for practice. Think about MDs, DOs, DDS, or any other traditional doctoral programs. Additionally, there are a lot of online programs for PhDs nowadays but these are mostly vanity degrees. Meaning, they are not designed for licensed practice.

In clinical/counseling/school psychology these are extremely rare. Capella is a particularly poor program because it is not accredited. To be honest, it is a joke. It will severely limit your ability to gain employment and create additional barriers to even get licensed. I would guess that the majority of people that start the online PsyD programs either don't finish or don't get licensed. Since they are not accredited they are not required to share that info, so we cannot say for sure.

OP, how do you expect to get clinical hours? Do have connections to get this done?

This statement is ridiculous, and I’m sure you know that. You were asking if this is a good idea but then saying if you don’t think it’s a good idea don’t respond.

Capella is garbage. So is every other online “doctorate” in psychology....because thats not how rigorous scientific and clinical learning works.

This degree would be a good choice if you ultimately want to work as a barista in a studio apartment with 75% of your income going into your debt. IF that is your goal, this degree can definitely get you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
This statement is ridiculous, and I’m sure you know that. You were asking if this is a good idea but then saying if you don’t think it’s a good idea don’t respond.

Capella is garbage. So is every other online “doctorate” in psychology....because thats not how rigorous scientific and clinical learning works.

Aren’t they all online right now?

Because temporary emergency measures implemented for the safety of faculty, staff, and students in the midst of a global pandemic are totally the same thing as a 100% online doctorate, right?

Aren’t they all online right now?

Yes, they are and I can definitely see a difference. I can't speak for all programs, but mine is using video-conferencing platforms (Zoom, Blackboard Collaborate, etc.) for synchronous learning, and even with just a handful of people on, the conversation is stymied. It is much more difficult to have discussions in this platform. That being said, I'm assuming Capella uses asynchronous distance learning, meaning there is no discussion or anything (honestly, those written discussion board style threads never have the same impact). Doctorate level study is so much more than "read a few articles and write a paper on it." The discussions we have in class are honestly the majority of the ways in which we learn.

Also, I can't imagine taking an assessment class online. For us, we actually pulled out the WAIS/WISC/etc and played around with them, got to know the materials and review the testing manual and such. Also, for practicum purposes, how do you get your hours? And what happens if there is an issue with your site? Our DCT meets with DCTs from the sites that are available. If there is a problem (which is very rare since the DCT has formed a working relationship with these people), they try to set it right. There is no practical way for someone from Capella to provide this type of oversight from all over the country. These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head that explain why distance learning is not an equivalent substitute to in-person learning for an entire doctorate in psychology (barring current circumstances, in which my clinical hours have actually been significantly affected).

Hi everyone I'm just about to finish my Masters, and I wanted to go straight into a PsyD program if possible. Anyway, I have a friend who goes to Capella for her Masters in Behavioral Psychology and right now she been trying to encourage me to apply to Capella. Now I'm a little bit apprehensive because I just don't know anyone with a degree from there, but it's my understanding there popular and the PsyD in school psychology is intriguing. If you have any information let me know.

You won’t find many (if any) online degree supporters here, OP. Psychology and medical training are fully in-person for a reason. Also, acceptance rates of online programs like Cappella tend to be WAY higher than traditional programs, so almost anyone can get in, thus admitting students who are not capable or appropriate for graduate training. A graduate program by its nature is advanced and specialized training, so it should be selective to ensure quality practitioners and quality training for the few who are capable, not just anyone who wants a doctorate.

I think your apprehension is an important message, and should be heeded.

Per the website, the program is not APA accredited. Zero info about outcomes, attrition, or acceptance rates on this page about the doctorate, which is a huge red flag amongst many others.

From Gradreports.com Cappella reviews:

- 9/16/2019
Degree:School Psychology
Graduation Year: 2021

"There is a class action lawsuit against Capella University for dishonest practices, misleading students, and artificially extending the time it takes to graduate. A judge in May of 2019 ruled that the case has merit and the settlement amount is being debated. I am in their doctoral program and will complete it in 2021. My experience matches many in the class action lawsuit, but I prefer to pay the extra money and try to graduate anyways, rather than try to take the refund. I would certainly not start a program at Capella University today. Capella University does not use evidence-based practices for course planning or student services. Their website is often down leaving learners unable to turn in coursework. The coursework is quite easy, so that is a plus. Also, this is an online program, not a hybrid program, Capella University has tried to mislead customers in the past on that issue."

I would browse the rest of the reviews on that site—quite eye-opening.

Given these red flags and the fact that many employers would see Cappella itself as a red flag on a CV, I’m not seeing any advantages other than convenience and easy acceptance. Which will come at a huge cost, literally and figuratively, without even touching on how the public could be harmed by practitioners who graduate with subpar training and practice unethically.

Last edited:
I have been on this form for over 5 years and all I can say is a lot of you guys stay bashing online degree but yet they keep popping up. I know San Diego University just launch an online Ph.D. in social justice and USC keeps popping out online degrees so yes these courses will be the future but go off.

• Dislike
I have been on this form for over 5 years and all I can say is a lot of you guys stay bashing online degree but yet they keep popping up. I know San Diego University just launch an online Ph.D. in social justice and USC keeps popping out online degrees so yes these courses will be the future but go off.

None of those are degrees in clinical psychology. But if you know better than people in the field, there’s probably no reason to ask for advice.

There is literally nothing related to practicing psychology that someone can do with an online PhD in social justice, but go off. I remember you posting another thread awhile ago and getting into arguments with people, but whatever.

Anyway, I've had encounters with exactly two Capella graduates, one direct and one indirect. The direct was someone I worked with at a community MH center. They were working on accruing hours for their postdoc. So it is actually possible to become licensed in certain states. That being said, this person's work left a LOT to be desired. I believe they had to cold call private practices to try to get hours for practicum and internship and they definitely did/could not do an APA accredited internship. Also, as a fun side story, I went to a company picnic with this person and they asked if they could feed their baby fruit that had been soaking for hours in some sangria that I made, so take that as you will.

The indirect encounter was when I was working at a college counseling center. The director agreed to interview a Capella student for a practicum position, but the staff was (understandably) hesitant about it. After the interview, my supervisor (who was against interviewing this person) basically told me that the student had no knowledge of interventions and treatment and it was an awkward interview all around.

I have been on this form for over 5 years and all I can say is a lot of you guys stay bashing online degree but yet they keep popping up.

so?

This is like saying, "Ya, know everyone keeps saying how bad meth is for you, yet meth labs keep popping up. Maybe meth aint that bad after all."

And, I mean, seriously. WTF does someone do with a doctorate in "social justice?"

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
so?

This is like saying, "Ya, know everyone keeps saying how bad meth is for you, yet meth labs keep popping up. Maybe meth aint that bad after all."

And, I mean, seriously. WTF does someone do with a doctorate in "social justice?"

Become Batman!

Genuine question: why do you continue to ask questions about online doctorates here? It's clear that you know who posts here and what the responses are going to be, and there are discussion forums out there that are much friendlier to online education because the disciplines typically discussed don't require clinical training. What is it that you're seeking from this forum that has you coming back time and time again?

Genuine question: why do you continue to ask questions about online doctorates here? It's clear that you know who posts here and what the responses are going to be, and there are discussion forums out there that are much friendlier to online education because the disciplines typically discussed don't require clinical training. What is it that you're seeking from this forum that has you coming back time and time again?

I'm just going to go out on a limb and suggest that the OP likely wants to go Capella and was looking for reassurance that this is a good idea. Probably their mind is mostly already made up to do it. When everyone piles on and (rightly) describes the various reasons why it's a bad idea, we create a bunch of cognitive dissonance. Knowing what we all know about cognitive dissonance, we probably can all see that the most likely response in cases like this is that the person will find a reason to not listen to advice (don't go to Capella) that conflicts with their existing belief (I want to go to Capella), hence their brushing this advice off with "lol get with the times grandpa." My guess is that no amount of logic is going to convince this person that Capella is a poor investment; their mind is already made up.

That said, hopefully lurkers reading this post will be convinced and save their money.

Reactions: 6 users
I love this forum:

Everyone keep being honest or authentic on these ridiculous degree mill shady programs. I mean COME ON, they have a civil suit against them lol. I think cycle after cycle applicants get brainwashed by these programs pop up ads and think the program sounds nice without doing proper due diligence.

If real professionals in the field say it’s a bad idea, it’s prob a bad idea. I Am not gonna comment directly to the OP because he/she is going to prob go here regardless.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and suggest that the OP likely wants to go Capella and was looking for reassurance that this is a good idea. Probably their mind is mostly already made up to do it. When everyone piles on and (rightly) describes the various reasons why it's a bad idea, we create a bunch of cognitive dissonance. Knowing what we all know about cognitive dissonance, we probably can all see that the most likely response in cases like this is that the person will find a reason to not listen to advice (don't go to Capella) that conflicts with their existing belief (I want to go to Capella), hence their brushing this advice off with "lol get with the times grandpa." My guess is that no amount of logic is going to convince this person that Capella is a poor investment; their mind is already made up.

That said, hopefully lurkers reading this post will be convinced and save their money.
Okay so you just said the same thing as my reply but much nicer. lol maybe I’ll delete my reply

Providing facts is not “going off.”

If it isn’t a red flag to you that an online graduate program is not accredited, doesn’t publish data showing how many students graduate and become licensed, the program accepts nearly everyone who applies, is expensive, has an active lawsuit alleging that students are not allowed to finish on time so the school can make more money, classes are “easy,” and employers/folks in the field consider the school to have extremely subpar training, then nothing will convince you.

Good luck to you, OP.

Last edited:

You know you're on the wrong side of this argument. You wouldn't be coming around here after 5 years if you didn't. Plenty of online programs are ready to take your money. If you didn't know better, you'd already be over your head in debt and either regretting your life choices or fully committed to the delusion that you are being well trained. That you haven't actually taken that plunge signals that you are in fact judging the situation correctly and something is telling you not to act on your desire to do it, in spite of what you would like to be true.

I don't envy your position. It sucks to have limited options. But this willful ignorance you're slinging is not an effective way to handle whatever is standing between you and the career you want.

Reactions: 4 users
Because there is a market to sell the degree (guaranteed, easy student loan government money, too) does not mean there is a market for jobs for people who have the degree.

Reactions: 4 users
You know you're on the wrong side of this argument. You wouldn't be coming around here after 5 years if you didn't. Plenty of online programs are ready to take your money. If you didn't know better, you'd already be over your head in debt and either regretting your life choices or fully committed to the delusion that you are being well trained. That you haven't actually taken that plunge signals that you are in fact judging the situation correctly and something is telling you not to act on your desire to do it, in spite of what you would like to be true.

I don't envy your position. It sucks to have limited options. But this willful ignorance you're slinging is not an effective way to handle whatever is standing between you and the career you want.

Who has limited options Im already about to get my masters and I have a high paying job so why all the assumptions. I been on here for 5 years because I joined freshman year of college when I was researching masters programs, now I moving forward to my next step. For the last few years I’ve been working as a behavioral therapist and as early interventionist and I make pretty good money.

Considering that I’m in my early 20s; I’m doing fine but go off and make an ass of your self.

This is a form I asked a question if u don’t have anything nice to say zip it that’s why I’m no longer going to respond or reading your opinions.

P.s I’m locking the thread and you can laugh all you want with your emojis; because I'm laughing as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.