Cardiologist/Internist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redlined

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing fellowship and looking for a job in a particular city that I must live in due to family reasons. Since I am not having the greatest luck finding a job as a cardiologist I am considering taking a job as an internist. Anyone familiar with this scenario? Would places be hesitant to hire or would they be happy since they are getting someone with far more training than gen IM.

Members don't see this ad.

While I have never been in charge of hiring, I would imagine that you are going to find different responses from different employers. The additional training may be an asset to some, while others might suspect that you will not stay with them for long once you find suitable employment to match your training.

Also, pay particular attention to non-compete clauses since you may be interested in trying to find a Cardiology job in that city in the future and you don't want to be locked out from options.

This sucks. Is the job market really that bad? I hope you are at least talking about San Francisco or New York City?

Members don't see this ad :)
While all of our fellows who haven't gone on to advanced subspecialty training have hit the ground running right after completing their general cardiology training, I've noticed in the last 3 years that it's taking longer for some to land gigs. Years ago all of our graduates would be all set long before their final months in CVD. I've also noticed the same trend with IC fellows in the last two years. Let me note that I'm not talking about the majority (~20%).

I guess the moral of the story is that everyone will probably be employed as Cardiologists right out of training, but some may need to hustle a little more than they may have anticipated.

Yeah it is one of those big cities. It does suck from talking to others.