Cardiologists: GLS standards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brad Stax

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I’m not anything close to an MD, but as a sonographer I wanted to pick cardiologists brain a little bit on Global Longitudinal Strain.

I‘m going through a bunch of GLS literature and they keep throwing out this cutoff of <-20% GLS being normal. But then you see that different vendors, GE, Philips, Toshiba, etc. all have different “normal” GLS rates.

In the case of when to operate on an asymptomatic patient with severe MR, I saw a cutoff in an ASE presentation that said anything over -20% began to have a worse prognosis after MV repair/replacement.

Interesting, considering Toshiba machines consider -17% to be the normal GLS value. Is there any value of using GLS, an “objective” parameter for considerations for MV repair?

Not that the decision is mine, but just out of my own curiosity, I want to give my cardiologists as much helpful information as possible, especially since GLS is now widely available on just about any machine.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for teaching me what GLS means.. never heard of it.