Cards Fellowship 2006-2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattaustein

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread addressing questions re: applying for a July 2008 cardiology spot:

1) Does anyone have any info on the Philly programs other than Penn???
2) Why is NYU not participating in the match but accepting applications??
3) When should one expect to begin to get interviews?

Good luck to everyone applying...

Members don't see this ad.

Usually majority of the programs send invitations in Feb. Still some send in Jan and some later but card programs typically start later than many other programs (I don't know why).
I also would like to get info about Philly programs.
Good luck
ITE!

Looks like majority of the programs downloaded the application already? I heard from a Program Secretary they already got 1200 applications for <10 spots. It is ridicoulously competitive.
We will wait and see. Good luck for all the guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nowadays with ERAS, people apply to sometimes 100 programs! So, yes, each program receives thousands of applications and guess what! They are going to screen the applications based on the university that u did ur IM residency and maybe a few other factors such as USMLE scores.
So if u r a strong applicant but not from a prestigious IM program, ERAS works against you by increasing the number of applicants for each Card program and the fact that PDs can not really read each application.
Now the question is, what can we do about it? Any idea? please lets share our thought and we may find a good way to boost our chance.

I have seen programs that do not do the match, and believe me it is way more beneficial to applicants to have a match. Friends of mine have been offered acceptances and had to commit by the end of the day or their spot goes away, and they have no idea about their status at other schools, so at top programs you have a small selection of really top kids who have turned down other acceptances just to interview at these top programs, so the competition can get fierce since these are kids who thought they could do better than the acceptance they already received, and they are condident enough in how strong they are to turn other places down before knowing their status at these top programs.

The solution is extremely simple, and is already being done. Follow the medical school model. AMCAS lets med students apply to a huge number of places, however, some schools who don't want every Joe Schmo throwing their hat in the ring will create a long secondary application(Duke is notorious for this). Other schools who want large numbers of applicants have secondaries requesting their names, current addresses, and money. While the money aspect sucks, the fellowship programs can simply not charge a secondary fee and computerize the whole process so that the secondary is automatically added to the applicant's electronic file. One essay is all it takes to limit absurd numbers of people applying.

I have heard that Jefferson has had IT problems and has thus not downloaded applications yet... but neither has temple. As I understand the Philly programs, UPenn is clearly tops, and usually prefers research, research, and BENCH researchers... Jefferson is also supposed to be very strong, but not as great a Penn... Temple is good also but not on the same level as the first two... not sure what areas in cardio each program is especially good at though.. echo... intervention.. ep... any info would be great

Anyone with info on why NYU is not part of the match??? I know some people there, but everyone is being pretty quiet. Any ideas?

How many programs need additional information other than submitted thru ERAS?

Any body knows about the UT Galveston program? They are not in ERAS this year.

Greetings everyone.

It is very quite out there. All have downloaded apps. Hope to hear from some next year. Applied to 30 programs. Good luck applicants.

I know that in the Philadelphia area, in addition to penn, jeff and temple, other hospitals have cardio fellowships such as Lankenau and Bryn Mawr hospital (check out the website at mainlinehealth.org) and also frankford and einstein have cardio fellowships.

Good luck with applications!

Have not hear anything yet... but will let all know when i do... any word on temple... they have not dowloaded anyone's application... anyone know why?