Cards rotation or research as only elective for PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tapatiuh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG. I'm going to start PGY1 and my program only offers a one 4-week elective block. I did some research in college in the US but none in med school. I took 2 cards electives in med school in the US. If I want to go into cards, would it help me more towards my goal to do a research elective or a cards consult elective?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think in this situation you had to do a cardiology elective while trying to move a cardiac research on the side (without a formal rotation). I understand that residency is demanding, but getting to cards worth the extra work. You need to get very good letters of recommendation as well as good list of publication and research projects..
you need good time to spend with cardiology attendings to get good letters as they usually have high standards and are not easily impressed, but once they are, they become very supportive.

It seems like who you know, how well they know you and their impression of you is very important. Thank you very much!

Cards consult service.
do research in your extra time. In a months rotation u arent likely to get something meaningful especially if project not already set