Career Alternatives Using a PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angela1234

Still Looking for Work
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of looking for work as a pharmacist. No jobs, and I'm out of money.
Any ideas on alternative careers I can look for with a PharmD?

Members don't see this ad.

You're just going to have to get licensed in another state and move to a place like North Dakota to find jobs nowadays...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am already licensed in 4 states. I was hoping for middle of nowhere Ohio but I couldn't even find an open position.

I already spent two years working in a state that was less desirable, or less flooded with pharmacy schools. There's only so long you can stay far away from friends and relatives.

i'm sure if you asked the pre-pharm folk they would tell you to "work hard and differentiate yourself"...

i'm not making light of your situation. that sucks.

You're just going to have to get licensed in another state and move to a place like North Dakota to find jobs nowadays...

I was curious and checked out how many Wags and CVS's were in North Dakota. Don't look, you don't want to know:scared:

http://news.walgreens.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1044

http://www.cvs.com/stores/cvs-pharmacy-locations/North-Dakota

Just think of the expense of keeping these frontier stores supplied. These will be the first ones abandoned once the empire contracts.

I already spent two years working in a state that was less desirable, or less flooded with pharmacy schools. There's only so long you can stay far away from friends and relatives.

Now only if this message would get through the pre-pharm students! Sorry to hear about your tough times, Angela.

North Dakota has rules against chains opening pharmacies. I think they have to buy out an independent. Opening an independent in North Dakota might be a good proposition.

You could probably teach in a university.

The pharmacy technician training programs in my area (very saturated) are hiring instructors. Some of the positions prefer a PharmD plus experience. They probably won't pay nearly as well as a practicing pharmacist though.

You probably wouldn't want to live in or near Williston, from what I've heard. It's not the safest place, whether you are a man or a woman (but especially if you're a woman) and a 1-bedroom apartment rents for $2,000 a month or more, if you can even find one.

Someone on another website had a relative who was working there, and he found a place for $300 a month. It was a PLAYHOUSE. He was allowed to use the shower and bathroom in the basement, and had wi-fi and cooked on a camp stove, with an extension cord plugged into the garage outlet.

Still out of work, still can't pay my bills. I have 2 years of experience working as a pharmacist. My student loans have defaulted, and I am living in poverty.

Members don't see this ad :)
What states are you licensed in?? I feel like we always have openings in VA...

teach biology or some basic science at a community college? pay is good for the amount and level of work you do, plus possibility to get a lot of vacation :)

I was able to get unemployment deferrment on my loans. I still am unable to find full time work. I feel that I have run out of pharmacies within a 100 mile radius of me, and I am unable to move due to being out of money, etc. I am starting to lose hope. I bet there wil be more posts like mine once a lot of the new graduates graduate without jobs.

I was able to get unemployment deferrment on my loans. I still am unable to find full time work. I feel that I have run out of pharmacies within a 100 mile radius of me, and I am unable to move due to being out of money, etc. I am starting to lose hope. I bet there wil be more posts like mine once a lot of the new graduates graduate without jobs.

You worked for CVS right? Why did you quit instead of putting in a transfer request? An awful job is still better than no job at all. I'm also a little puzzled. You said that you worked 2 years as a pharmacist. Did you not have any money saved up? Since you're back home now, why didn't you move back in with your parents/relatives to save money on rent? Can your parents let you borrow some money to get a license in KY since it is not too far away from Ohio and the job market is a lot better in KY than Ohio.

If you're creative, you can make stuff to sell on Etsy (I know someone who lost her non-pharmacy job and was making good money on that site and was also selling them at the fair) or sell old stuff on ebay. You'd be surprised at what people will buy on ebay. I made $70 on a PDA that I hadn't touched in 3 years and another $90 for my pharmacy book. I made $300 in a few weeks, then I got lazy. But there are ways you can be creative. There are also people that go to thrift stores to buy vintage stuff to sell. Or you can also go work as a waitress. Just think outside the box.

I am already licensed in 4 states. I was hoping for middle of nowhere Ohio but I couldn't even find an open position.

I think Ohio is up to seven colleges of pharmacy...

Been offline a few days. Still no work. Hey Rxxx, you can't transfer with Walgreens or CVS across the country if there aren't any openings in your district. I spoke with the recruiter in eastern Ohio and there are no openings for me. I'm not getting a 5th pharmacy license. I am from nowhere even near Kentucky. I already have 4 licenses.

What happens to your loans if you can only find part time work? So far the few interviews I've gotten are part time, and your loans say you must be looking for full time.

you can't transfer with Walgreens or CVS across the country if there aren't any openings in your district. I spoke with the recruiter in eastern Ohio and there are no openings for me.

You can if they like you. I find it hard to believe that there is ABSOLUTELY no openings at all for CVS/Walgreens, especially with CVS. CVS has a high turnover rate and they are always hiring. It might not be right at that very day. I've transferred to 3 states and they always had a part-time position for me and always asked if I wanted a full-time position. But if the current supervisor doesn't like you, then you're screwed. If your interviewer calls your former boss and asks if he/she would hire you back and the answer is "hell no", then you're in a really bad shape.

Again, the recruiter in eastern Ohio said there were currently no openings. The recruiter called me back, and did not have my info about my former boss or anything, so it had absolutely nothing to do with me.

Yes, by recruiter, I meant the district manager. I identified myself as wanting to transfer,and the person said there were no openings.

Last edited:
I never talked to a recruiter. I talked to the hiring supervisor directly. Maybe that's what you need to do.

You try getting a 5th license. You don't even know the extent of the situation. I've personally handed out my resume to over 30 pharmacies. Every day on the internet I am looking for work.

It is a very tough market out there. Even if you have done what everyone says from working as an intern to networking, it is simple not enough jobs for everyone. Until you are in the position and have gone through what they have endured, I don't think you are in the position to criticize.

You don't sound very desperate to find a job :p

I'm guessing you're employed? Have you ever even tried applying to another state for a license? Do you know what it entails? Shouldn't really judge others unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. The pharmacy market isn't poppin like it used to. Have you ever gone from working as a pharmacist to working a non-pharmacist job for less money? Going rate is about $12 an hour or so. Same as it was 10 years ago.

You try getting a 5th license. You don't even know the extent of the situation. I've personally handed out my resume to over 30 pharmacies. Every day on the internet I am looking for work.

Stop looking for work on the internet. Talk to people in person. Seriously; there is only so far that the interwebs can get you in a job search (and generally, it's not very far). You've got to network! I know 30 pharmacies is a lot, but it's clearly not enough. Keep on keeping on. Best wishes on the job hunt.

how is she going to talk to them in person when they live in another state?

Reactions: 1 user