PhD/PsyD Career Change to Psychology -Where do I begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2Road

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have decided to change courses in my career and pursue Psychology (preferably Child/ Developmental Psychology). I did very poorly during my undergrad years, pursuing a degree that I ultimately was not meant for (Biology). I ended up graduating with a (disastrous) 2.65 cGPA.

I am currently an RA in the Behavioral Science department at a Cancer Institute, focusing on cancer prevention and have worked as a Data Collector for a Clinical Child Psychologist.

I plan on taking my GRE within the next 6 months to a year. At this point in time, I am not quite sure where to start this change or if it's even possible at this point.

I plan on taking pre-req undergraduate psychology courses and applying to a Human Development and Family Studies Masters program in order to prove my competency in academics.

Although I am not a fan of excuses, my GPA partially stemmed from family issues which had me driving over 500 miles every other weekend to assist with family issues at home. I am a first generation student and honestly do not know where to go from here.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're already addressing the major points I'd have suggested--the GPA (via the master's program) and possible pre-reqs.

Working as an RA will give you a leg-up in terms of research experience. Bonus points if you can gain additional such experience en route to the master's, particularly if it's in an area of research on which you'd like to focus for your doctorate.