Mid-life career change: Psy.D. or LMHC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael W

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am hoping to transition into a career in psychology from my current job in humanities academia, and I have some questions about the feasibility of this and how to pursue it in a strategic way.

Here's some brief context on my background:
I got a fully-funded Ph.D. in literature from a top university 7 years ago and have worked at some prestigious (Ivy League and Big 10) universities, but always in non-tenure-track roles. I've also worked in special education and educational consulting for students with autism and other learning disabilities, as well as mental health issues. I've taken the prerequisite undergrad psych classes and have done published, peer-reviewed research in literature, but I have no psychology research experience--and probably no way to get any while working full-time at my current job. That being said, I have always been fascinated by psychology and driven by the desire to understand and help people-- especially children/youth. And I'd prefer to become a psychologist, rather than a LMHC, due to the deeper intellectual background and much higher income potential, even if it takes a couple more years.

And here's some brief context on why I want to do this at this point in my life:
I now have a more stable academic job, but it's in a location (small town, upper Midwest) that really doesn't work for me, for a couple of reasons. First, as an LGBT/gender non-conforming person, I find it isolating and uncomfortable to live in a very conservative town. Secondly, I have an autoimmune disease that is much more disabling in certain (cold, wet) climates. I want to enter a field where I can choose the state where I live, so that I can end up somewhere warm and feel less sick and more able-bodied. But I also want to draw upon my skills and interests, which are closely linked to psychology. That's why I'm thinking of Psy.D. programs in warm climates: FL, AZ, or southern CA.

And here's the problem/question:
Based on reading this forum, it seems that any geographically desirable Psy.D. program I might have a shot at getting into would be a) very expensive, and b) ill-regarded in the field. LMHC programs seem easier to get into(?) and seem to offer more location options-- but it also looks like this is a career path with quite a low salary, almost as low as humanities academia! So, dear experts: what path makes the most sense?:
a) try to get into a Psy.D. program at a sub-optimal university and work very hard to forge a successful path from within it
b) give up on the Psy.D. and try to get into LMHC programs instead
c) some third thing

Lastly, since all unfunded grad programs are super expensive, I should mention: I'm fortunate to have resources that make either path a) or b) a possibility, without loans. That being said, there are obvious/steep costs to not working while in a grad program, and I don't want to get ripped off by a diploma mill Psy.D. program that won't lead me to be able to get an APA-accredited internship afterwards.

Thank you for reading all this, and thanks in advance for your advice!

-Michael

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being in a financial position to cover tuition is a great thing and opens up a lot of possibilities. It sounds like you are an exceptionally strong student so you will probably do just fine wherever you go. But it's tough to advise you because we don't know if you have a couple hundred thousand in cash vs. millions. vs. generational wealth.

If you have, say, generational wealth, then I would seriously consider the doctorate. Even at a "diploma mill" school you will likely have richer educational and clinical experiences. And more years of them. The curriculum at the school will overlap considerably with the curriculum at a prestigious PhD program, with perhaps fewer courses in statistics and research methods. Your independent research project (or whatever the diploma mill school calls it) won't stack up to a dissertation from a "reputable" program and that will be a loss. But you will have 4-5 years of supervised clinical placements, ideally in a variety of practice settings. At the end of all of this you will be a clinical psychologist. There will be some psychologists who look down on your accomplishments but for the most part the field becomes level for clinicians once they are released into the wild with a diploma and a license. Especially if you plan to do full-time private practice.

You mentioned that you are working full-time and don't have time to do research to bolster your application with psychology research. If that means that you can afford to pay for a doctorate but then you will have spent all of your money, then the diploma mill school might not be right for you. In that case I would recommend finding a social work program at a prestigious university where you will be surrounded by like-minded classmates. You will find the classes enriching and you will have plenty of job opportunities when you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend MHC if you only want to do therapy and teach. MHCs are better trained in theory, practice, and their whole program focuses on mental health where as many MSW programs are eclectic and have more courses focused on policy rather than therapy and psychopathology (depending on program, some are more clinical than others). If you have to work full-time and have little time for research now I am unsure how a psyd would work (I am in a psyd now and have many students who work, raise families, and do the program). It really depends on what you want. MHC, MSW are able to do much of the same things (with the caveat that MSWs have more none clinical opportunities and can work within clinical settings and in none clinical settings).

Or pass the EPPP.
Sure, anyone can fail the EPPP. But someone could make money all day gambling on an EPPP-taker with the educational/vocational background of the OP.

I would still bet money on the OP to match to internship, but maybe I wouldn't bet the ranch.

Sure, anyone can fail the EPPP. But someone could make money all day gambling on an EPPP-taker with the educational/vocational background of the OP.

I would still bet money on the OP to match to internship, but maybe I wouldn't bet the ranch.

Yes, anyone can fail the EPPP, but some programs tend to have much lower rates, probably due to a factor of who they are admitting as well as how they are preparing those students. But yes, I would also agree that the OP is probably better equipped from an intellectual standpoint to pass. Though, they would likely still need to beef up the stats/psychometrics portion given their background, and this is a section that tends to have the lowest scores from the diploma millers.

Agreed. They would have to do some independent learning and study more than a student from a more rigorous program. Plus the I/O stuff that almost everyone has to learn for the exam.

Being in a financial position to cover tuition is a great thing and opens up a lot of possibilities. It sounds like you are an exceptionally strong student so you will probably do just fine wherever you go. But it's tough to advise you because we don't know if you have a couple hundred thousand in cash vs. millions. vs. generational wealth.

If you have, say, generational wealth, then I would seriously consider the doctorate. Even at a "diploma mill" school you will likely have richer educational and clinical experiences. And more years of them. The curriculum at the school will overlap considerably with the curriculum at a prestigious PhD program, with perhaps fewer courses in statistics and research methods. Your independent research project (or whatever the diploma mill school calls it) won't stack up to a dissertation from a "reputable" program and that will be a loss. But you will have 4-5 years of supervised clinical placements, ideally in a variety of practice settings. At the end of all of this you will be a clinical psychologist. There will be some psychologists who look down on your accomplishments but for the most part the field becomes level for clinicians once they are released into the wild with a diploma and a license. Especially if you plan to do full-time private practice.

You mentioned that you are working full-time and don't have time to do research to bolster your application with psychology research. If that means that you can afford to pay for a doctorate but then you will have spent all of your money, then the diploma mill school might not be right for you. In that case I would recommend finding a social work program at a prestigious university where you will be surrounded by like-minded classmates. You will find the classes enriching and you will have plenty of job opportunities when you graduate.

I will say this, having the financial means to pay for a PsyD is great. However, that is just the start of this path. If you have eight figures and want to blow 6 figures on tuition go ahead. However, if I were in your shoes and had six figure savings, I would rather attend a cheap program,graduate, and use those funds to bankroll an office, supplies, and everything else a private practice requires so that you can have the job you want not just the education you want.

Also, if you think a third rate doctoral program is going to have a lot of intellectual rigor, you might be disappointed based on the program you choose. There will be a lot of hoop jumpers that just want their upper middle class job with as little work as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users