Career Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinokoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Allow me to introduce myself. I got my undergraduate degree in accounting in 2005 and worked in an accounting firm for four years before making a career switch and I am now working at an Anatomic Pathology lab training to become a Histotechnician. I know I want to go to "grad" school whether it be for a Masters program as a Pathologists' Assistant (ASCP) or Medical School, but at this moment I can't decide which one I'd rather go to. Anyway, right now I'm doing all the science pre-reqs for both programs and have finished all the biological sciences and general chemistry courses and just started O-chem. I want to do well in all these courses, so I'm only taking them one at a time. So far, my sGPA is a 4.0 (boooooyah!!). I'm okay with going at this snails pace because I actually like working in Histology and I get to work with Pathologists doing special stains and IHC stains. Well, I really don't have any questions for any of you, I just wanted to let you know a little about myself and maybe listen to some of your stories.

Members don't see this ad.

The big question is: what can being a doctor offer you in terms of your career goals that being a Pathology Assistant cannot? Solve that, and you'll know.

Hi Everybody,

Allow me to introduce myself. I got my undergraduate degree in accounting in 2005 and worked in an accounting firm for four years before making a career switch and I am now working at an Anatomic Pathology lab training to become a Histotechnician. I know I want to go to "grad" school whether it be for a Masters program as a Pathologists' Assistant (ASCP) or Medical School, but at this moment I can't decide which one I'd rather go to. Anyway, right now I'm doing all the science pre-reqs for both programs and have finished all the biological sciences and general chemistry courses and just started O-chem. I want to do well in all these courses, so I'm only taking them one at a time. So far, my sGPA is a 4.0 (boooooyah!!). I'm okay with going at this snails pace because I actually like working in Histology and I get to work with Pathologists doing special stains and IHC stains. Well, I really don't have any questions for any of you, I just wanted to let you know a little about myself and maybe listen to some of your stories.
If indeed this your initial post, then, allow me to officially welcome you on board sdn. It appears you're doing the right thing. Completing your pre-req and doing well in them is key. If you've not started volunteering, I suggest you start it immediately. You should consider shadowing an actual physician (MD/DO). Ignore all the Dr. Nurse crap! Take your time and explore this website via searching. You'll be surprise that your anticipated question had already been discussed/flipped/killed & uprooted extensively.

Members don't see this ad :)
^I'm shadowing with a certified PA (ASCP) this Tuesday at a pediatric hospital. Ooooooo I can't wait to look at the tissue!!! Also, do you recommend shadowing Pathologists since they don't even see the patients? How much volunteer work are we talking about? I don't think I'll be able to apply for med school for another two years. I will however be applying for three PA (not physician assistant) schools for the Fall 2013 (not sure if I'll get in since I hear it's more competitive than most tier 1 MD schools).

Hi Everybody,

Keep up the good work and your goals will surely become self evident along the way.