Caribbean medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir, I'm sorry to say that I really feel sorry for your patients if you were a medical student or a physician.. I didn't go into medical school in the Caribbean because it was an easier option. I didn't go there for the prestige of the profession. I didn't go there after the label( M.D.). I simply went there to study the subject I love and I always dreamed of. I'm just a regular person who is so passionate about medicine. I passed the NBME comprehensive basic science exam on my first attempt, I passed step 1 on my first attempt. I passed the NBME comprehensive clinical science exam on first attempt. I have never failed any exam in medical school, have you?. Thank you.
Regardless, you are at a serious disadvantage. You must focus with laser intensity on all aspects of residency application. Target programs with a history of accepting IMGs , especially from your school. Try to schedule audition rotations at programs where you have the best chance. Show up early, stay late, volunteer to give presentations or take new assignments. Get a letter from a faculty or PD at that program. You might need a gap year. Any way, you are in a tough place, but not impossible. Get busy. Good luck and best wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sir, I'm sorry to say that I really feel sorry for your patients if you were a medical student or a physician.. I didn't go into medical school in the Caribbean because it was an easier option. I didn't go there for the prestige of the profession. I didn't go there after the label( M.D.). I simply went there to study the subject I love and I always dreamed of. I'm just a regular person who is so passionate about medicine. I passed the NBME comprehensive basic science exam on my first attempt, I passed step 1 on my first attempt. I passed the NBME comprehensive clinical science exam on first attempt. I have never failed any exam in medical school, have you?. Thank you.
Good luck with your career as an Uber driver.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Regardless, you are at a serious disadvantage. You must focus with laser intensity on all aspects of residency application. Target programs with a history of accepting IMGs , especially from your school. Try to schedule audition rotations at programs where you have the best chance. Show up early, stay late, volunteer to give presentations or take new assignments. Get a letter from a faculty or PD at that program. You might need a gap year. Any way, you are in a tough place, but not impossible. Get busy. Good luck and best wishes!
yes, I understand I'm in a tough place. Thank you so much for your advice, highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you disrespect Caribbean medical graduates, and now you disrespect your fellow Americans who work as Uber drivers. And you are a faculty member at a DO school?, just amazed. Now I really feel sorry for the school you are a member of. It seems to me that you live with the fantasy that you can live a respectful life just because you are a faculty member. Sir, you are wrong. If you don't respect your fellow citizens, you will be disrespected no matter what professional position you got. If you don't respect others, you won't be respected either even if you were the president of America.

So you disrespect Caribbean medical graduates, and now you disrespect your fellow Americans who work as Uber drivers. And you are a faculty member at a DO school?, just amazed. Now I really feel sorry for the school you are a member of. It seems to me that you live with the fantasy that you can live a respectful life just because you are a faculty member. Sir, you are wrong. If you don't respect your fellow citizens, you will be disrespected no matter what professional position you got. If you don't respect others, you won't be respected either even if you were the president of America.
You made your bed, now lie in it.

He is a phd faculty member/adcom at a DO school.

Ive failed plenty of med school exams and I am not in any danger of not matching. Your story is very similar to many stories coming out of the Carib. This is why people are warned not to do this.
True, I warn people going there as well, unless they have tried their best to get into medical school in the U.S , didn't get accepted any where, and they still have strong passion for medicine and willing to work hard.

I am not saying naive to be mean. You are showing the nativity with Telling us how bad the conditions are when anyone that has researched the carib know what you are saying to be true. We don’t view carib graduates as badly just that no one should go there due to those predatory practices. If you’ve been around this forum for any time and have seen my posting on carib grads you know I am sympathetic to you. I believe all Americans should have a fair shake at residency spots as long as they are eligible and US citizens. The fact is that’s not true and it’s dumb. I get it. I have given you my best advice earlier.
Thank you for your advice.

Dear medical students and physicians,
I'm a current Caribbean medical student who will be graduating very soon. However, it has been a very hard experience as a Caribbean medical student due to poor quality of education and significant lack of resources. I self taught myself most of the time to compensate for the deficiency in my school. For sure, I can't teach myself very well without having good teachers/ clinicians to support my learning, but I did my best.

During some of my clinical rotations, some doctors made it clear that it will be very hard to get a residency spot. They made it very clear that we as Caribbean medical students might be lucky to get into family medicine or internal medicine as it is becoming more difficult than before.

Now, hypothetically if I don't get matched into residency in the U.S, is it possible to practice medicine in Europe? or any developed country. My goal is not to leave medicine and still practice medicine after graduation regardless of where I practice, or salary.

Thank you,

This is a US-predominant board so I don't think you're going to get a ton of useful opinions in regards to practicing in Europe. Most of us aren't familiar enough with their requirements. But I'll tell you what I would do in your shoes.

You admitted yourself the training in the Caribbean was terrible, so I would not recommend practicing without a residency or with just an intern year (maybe I read your post wrong, but it seemed like you were asking how to practice in Europe or the US without a residency, but I could have interpreted it incorrectly).

You won't have the training to be a competent clinician with just a Caribbean med school education and no residency. So I wouldn't recommend the AP route even if more states pass that law. 90%+ of a clinician's training comes from residency. Don't forgo that even if you have the opportunity to practice. Too many people try to get into medicine because it's their "dream" (focusing on themselves) instead of focusing on their future patients, and whether or not they have the training to practice medicine without putting people in harm's way.

Your best best is doing observerships, rotations, and research at programs with a history of taking graduates from your school. Use every connection you have to find these opportunities. Then parlay that into a residency match (ideally). And apply to as many FM programs as possible.

Reactions: 1 users

Wut?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
This is a US-predominant board so I don't think you're going to get a ton of useful opinions in regards to practicing in Europe. Most of us aren't familiar enough with their requirements. But I'll tell you what I would do in your shoes.

You admitted yourself the training in the Caribbean was terrible, so I would not recommend practicing without a residency or with just an intern year (maybe I read your post wrong, but it seemed like you were asking how to practice in Europe or the US without a residency, but I could have interpreted it incorrectly).

You won't have the training to be a competent clinician with just a Caribbean med school education and no residency. So I wouldn't recommend the AP route even if more states pass that law. 90%+ of a clinician's training comes from residency. Don't forgo that even if you have the opportunity to practice. Too many people try to get into medicine because it's their "dream" (focusing on themselves) instead of focusing on their future patients, and whether or not they have the training to practice medicine without putting people in harm's way.

Your best best is doing observerships, rotations, and research at programs with a history of taking graduates from your school. Use every connection you have to find these opportunities. Then parlay that into a residency match (ideally). And apply to as many FM programs as possible.
Regarding Europe, I was thinking of Europe as a plan B. I wasn't looking to practice without training in Europe. I was thinking into getting into Residency in Europe, but again only as a plan B. My primary goal is to practice in the U.S. I have done one month of research affiliated with internal medicine doctor few months ago. I think I need to do more of research as you suggested. I also started researching what programs have taking graduates from my school. Thank you so much for your advice, I highly appreciate helpful replies like yours.

Honestly, it seems like the odds of you matching are quite low - you’re an IMG from one of the less-regarded Carrib schools, you have a low step 1, and you’ll be a year out from graduation. Each of those is a black mark on your app.

I’d definitely have a back-up plan if you don’t match, just to be safe. Hopefully you won’t need it, but only time will tell.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Below is a rough game plan:

Step 1) Go to college in the US
Step 2) Go to med school in the Caribbean
Step 3) Attempt to go to a European country for residency
Step 4) ???
Step 5) Profit

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, it seems like the odds of you matching are quite low - you’re an IMG from one of the less-regarded Carrib schools, you have a low step 1, and you’ll be a year out from graduation. Each of those is a black mark on your app.

I’d definitely have a back-up plan if you don’t match, just to be safe. Hopefully you won’t need it, but only time will tell.
I will try my best, thank you.

Below is a rough game plan:

Step 1) Go to college in the US
Step 2) Go to med school in the Caribbean
Step 3) Attempt to go to a European country for residency
Step 4) ???
Step 5) Profit
Yes, it is a rough plan. But don't get me wrong here. I'm only considering Europe as a plan B. I will apply for residency in the U.S next year but if I fail I will apply the year after. If both attempts fail, Only Then I would consider a different country to practice medicine( maybe Europe).

Doesn't it seem a little petty to fall to this level with this person, Goro? Come on, you're better than that.

Dear medical students and physicians,
I'm a current Caribbean medical student who will be graduating very soon. However, it has been a very hard experience as a Caribbean medical student due to poor quality of education and significant lack of resources. I self taught myself most of the time to compensate for the deficiency in my school. For sure, I can't teach myself very well without having good teachers/ clinicians to support my learning, but I did my best.

During some of my clinical rotations, some doctors made it clear that it will be very hard to get a residency spot. They made it very clear that we as Caribbean medical students might be lucky to get into family medicine or internal medicine as it is becoming more difficult than before.

Now, hypothetically if I don't get matched into residency in the U.S, is it possible to practice medicine in Europe? or any developed country. My goal is not to leave medicine and still practice medicine after graduation regardless of where I practice, or salary.

Thank you,

you should post on valueMD (you know about this site?); it's more IMG/FMG friendly.
A low step score does mean the end of the world; do a lot better on CK, pass CS on first time, take Step 3 and pass it...form connections/do research of some kind..keep up with the clinical experiences and apply...you may still have a shot somewhere in the US. Good luck!

I can somewhat understand as a Premed not knowing this stuff and making the mistake of going to those schools due to lack of options, what’s more concerning is that no one at OP’s school explained any of this stuff to him/her. You would think they’d have a mentor break all of this down for OP and maybe even have a list of where their graduates have gone in the past.

You made your bed, now lie in it.

Yeah, this isn't totally fair. I do think people should completely and thoroughly research what they're getting themselves into (especially in this case, a simple google search yields tons of red flags before getting 300k in debt).

However, undergrad/advising is grossly negligent. I went to a major city school for undergrad that has an MD school & its own hospital. As a premed, you are added to a listserv run by the school that regularly sends emails advertising Caribbean schools and has even hosted Ross adcoms at our university to answer questions about applying there (they do this for various US MD/DO schools as well -- could have blended right in).

The prehealth advisors also require meetings with them 2x a semester starting sophomore year in order to be eligible for a committee letter. I wouldn't be shocked if lower stat students get recommended to apply Caribbean at these sessions.

Again, I get it, a choice is a choice and people are responsible for themselves. But a naive, uninformed student putting trust into their school and seeing n=1 success stories is more so a student being victimized for profit, and not protected from it by their institution, rather than someone deserving of getting berated.

you should post on valueMD (you know about this site?); it's more IMG/FMG friendly.
A low step score does mean the end of the world; do a lot better on CK, pass CS on first time, take Step 3 and pass it...form connections/do research of some kind..keep up with the clinical experiences and apply...you may still have a shot somewhere in the US. Good luck!
Hi Dexter, thank you for the reply. I know little about ValueMD as I have read some posts there in the past. But, I didn't know they are more IMG friendly. What I learned from posting here though is how dangerous and toxic our doctors/future doctors have become to our society. It is a professional forum, yet you see rude/uncaring, and non professional attitude/treatment here. Being compassionate is one of the core requirements of being a doctor( i believe), knowledge is not enough. Knowledge and compassion go hand in hand of being a good doctor. Now, if that is how rude/unprofessional on this professional forum, just imagine how they treat their patients( omg).No wonder, our health system is inferior to the health system in west Europe because of this rude/ toxic behavior. Thank you for your advice, I actually got more than 4 honors in my rotations. I may post on Value md as well.

Last edited:
Hi Dexter, thank you for the reply. I know little about ValueMD as I have read some posts there in the past. But, I didn't know they are more IMG friendly. What I learned from posting here though is how dangerous and toxic our doctors/future doctors have become to our society. It is a professional forum, yet you see rude/uncaring, and non professional attitude/treatment here. Being compassionate is one of the core requirements of being a doctor( i believe), knowledge is not enough. Knowledge and compassion go hand in hand of being a good doctor. Now, if that is how rude/unprofessional on this professional forum, just imagine how they treat their patients( omg).No wonder, our health system is inferior to the health system in west Europe because of this rude/ toxic behavior. Thank you for your advice, I actually got more than 4 honors in my rotations. I may post on Value md as well.
Dude it’s an anonymous online forum. For the vast majority of us, this is solely a place to vent and let frustrations out. It’s not like everyone here is out there berating patients and “the future of medicine is toxic and this is why our system sucks”. Don’t be dramatic that’s the most cringe worthy association I’ve ever seen.

Take the good advice and ignore whatever hurt your feelings. Get thicker skin too who gives a damn what people say and grow up. Life ain’t gonna be gentle to you either

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Is this your first time on the internet? I'm sorry a few people were being "unprofessional" on this anonymous online forum, but its the internet. Like Chibucks15 said get thicker skin and grow up. Life's not fair, deal with it.

• Haha
You all say this but when I mention something that gets under white men’s egos I get reported. Now how the hell that work??? Y’all can dish but DAMN sure can’t take any heat. I’m all for thick skin, just don’t curl up in a ball when people clap back keep that same energy. It’s funny cause most of y’all saying have thick skin are the introverted socially awkward students lmaooo Y’all get more bold on the web than Peter Parker

You all say this but when I mention something that gets under white men’s egos I get reported. Now how the hell that work??? Y’all can dish but DAMN sure can’t take any heat. I’m all for thick skin, just don’t curl up in a ball when people clap back keep that same energy. It’s funny cause most of y’all saying have thick skin are the introverted socially awkward students lmaooo Y’all get more bold on the web than Peter Parker
What? I think that's an individual person thing not a race thing. I have no idea how you even know what race people are on here unless they mention it. Race-baiting is very 2019 though. Very on trend

What? I think that's an individual person thing not a race thing. I have no idea how you even know what race people are on here unless they mention it. Race-baiting is very 2019 though. Very on trend
He/She is referring to a different thread where they posted a comment about race and I guess people reported it

He/She is referring to a different thread where they posted a comment about race and I guess people reported it
Point stands. People love the race card, no matter what that race is. #2019

Dude it’s an anonymous online forum. For the vast majority of us, this is solely a place to vent and let frustrations out. It’s not like everyone here is out there berating patients and “the future of medicine is toxic and this is why our system sucks”. Don’t be dramatic that’s the most cringe worthy association I’ve ever seen.

Take the good advice and ignore whatever hurt your feelings. Get thicker skin too who gives a damn what people say and grow up. Life ain’t gonna be gentle to you either
first, let me apologize cause I didn't clarify my point in my earlier comment. I didn't mean all or the majority, I meant some or few people here. Second, it is not about my feelings. It is about US, Not me. It is about US as a community. I understand life isn't fair, however, you shouldn't sit back and support rudeness, unprofessionalism. Let me give you an example on a smaller scale. if you had a son, and he goes to school. His teacher is rude and nonprofessional in the classroom. And your son comes and tells you about that teacher. You reply well son, life isn't fair, get thicker skin and get used to it.

let's move to a real life example. a patient came to the cardiologist I was rotating with. She always complained of Dull Chest pain. Physical examination was normal.Regular EKG, was normal, not ST elevations, or depression. Stress EKG was normal as well. She still came back to us complaining of Dull chest pain. We start to worry that might be something serious, not detected on EKG. My doctor wants to order Angiogram. The patient doesn't have an insurance. Now, my doctor could have said just what you said. Life isn't fair. On the contrary, he had his staff help her how to get a cheap insurance. He even told her to go the emergency and tell them that her doctor thinks that she might angina and it might be not detected on her EKG.

You may say, it is an anonymous forum, it is not real life. Still,Seeing this kind of behavior here gives you an indication of how they behave outside the forum.

don't fight rudeness/ unprofessionalism because life isn't fair( let me use your own words, that is the most cringe worthy association I have ever seen).

first, let me apologize cause I didn't clarify my point in my earlier comment. I didn't mean all or the majority, I meant some or few people here. Second, it is not about my feelings. It is about US, Not me. It is about US as a community. I understand life isn't fair, however, you shouldn't sit back and support rudeness, unprofessionalism. Let me give you an example on a smaller scale. if you had a son, and he goes to school. His teacher is rude and nonprofessional in the classroom. And your son comes and tells you about that teacher. You reply well son, life isn't fair, get thicker skin and get used to it.

let's move to a real life example. a patient came to the cardiologist I was rotating with. She always complained of Dull Chest pain. Physical examination was normal.Regular EKG, was normal, not ST elevations, or depression. Stress EKG was normal as well. She still came back to us complaining of Dull chest pain. We start to worry that might be something serious, not detected on EKG. My doctor wants to order Angiogram. The patient doesn't have an insurance. Now, my doctor could have said just what you said. Life isn't fair. On the contrary, he had his staff help her how to get a cheap insurance. He even told her to go the emergency and tell them that her doctor thinks that she might angina and it might be not detected on her EKG.

You may say, it is an anonymous forum, it is not real life. Still,Seeing this kind of behavior here gives you an indication of how they behave outside the forum.

don't fight rudeness/ unprofessionalism because life isn't fair( let me use your own words, that is the most cringe worthy association I have ever seen).
Oh come on you're equating giving an angio to someone with no insurance to me telling you to grow up? You have got to be kidding me. I'm sorry people hurt your feelings but you put yourself in this situation by not doing research before Caribbean. You really are naive if you think most people act the same in public as they do on the internet.

Pulling strings to get someone a possibly life saving test and whatever you're accusing me of are nowhere near equivalent. I don't see this is as rude and unprofessional...I see it as telling you the truth you don't want to hear and you letting it get to you. I offered legit advice I'm sorry the way I phrased it hurt your feelings snowflake. Best of luck in whatever you manage to get into. I'm gonna go straight to the professionalism committee to report all these anonymous internet meanies!!

Is this your first time on the internet? I'm sorry a few people were being "unprofessional" on this anonymous online forum, but its the internet. Like Chibucks15 said get thicker skin and grow up. Life's not fair, deal with it.
Read my above comment. It is not about me, it is about US. Thank you.

Read my above comment. It is not about me, it is about US. Thank you.
How very noble of you. I'd spend less time on here and more time improving your app to improve your chances of matching at all in the US. But I digress. Good luck

Oh come on you're equating giving an angio to someone with no insurance to me telling you to grow up? You have got to be kidding me. I'm sorry people hurt your feelings but you put yourself in this situation by not doing research before Caribbean. You really are naive if you think most people act the same in public as they do on the internet.

Pulling strings to get someone a possibly life saving test and whatever you're accusing me of are nowhere near equivalent. I don't see this is as rude and unprofessional...I see it as telling you the truth you don't want to hear and you letting it get to you. I offered legit advice I'm sorry the way I phrased it hurt your feelings snowflake. Best of luck in whatever you manage to get into. I'm gonna go straight to the professionalism committee to report all these anonymous internet meanies!!
I'm giving examples only for clarification. I gave you an example on a smaller scale and a bigger scale, Just to clarify my points, nothing more. I'm not equating your act to another act. I'm simply saying it is about US, not me. Why is it so hard to understand?. I'm sorry you feel offended, I didn't mean it. Thank you.

Lol that last sentence was the stupidest thing I have read on the internet today. Don’t say that in real life if you don’t want someone to laugh in your face.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.