Caribbean schools advertising end of DO match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love this article's logic: "Hey, you know all those 3109 former AOA programs that previously only accepted DOs by definition? Get ready, we heard from a friend of a friend of Karen in accounting that they HATE DO students and will love taking any MD 100% of the time instead. You can trust us! Karen know's her stuff--she's the one who counts all your tuition money every year."

In the mean time, just head on over to the FM IMG match threads to see how much perfectly nice IMG applicants have to grind and struggle to get interview invites.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s with premeds publishing articles on no-name sites that aren’t even HTTPS? If it’s to pad an application, it’s going to be a bad look.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
What’s with premeds publishing articles on no-name sites that aren’t even HTTPS? If it’s to pad an application, it’s going to be a bad look.
I’ll have a chuckle if she ends up in a DO program.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I hope her next project is to get to the bottom of why ohio state's motto is, "with god, all things are possible," when they haven't proven that they're bigger on sundays than other schools. Or why ohio state is even allowed to exist when their admissions standards are far below that of stanford's.

I still get these advertisements... and it's ridiculous. I've even heard a doctor I once met have the audacity to boast how much one of their friends made as a Carib med school dean and how it was such a nice cash grab.

Most Carib students I know in my area have parents/relatives who are doctors and some still struggle getting a residency (but usually only those with a red flag - failed attempt on one of the board exams, if they are "well connected" they usually match eventually). Job prospects with a Carib MD if you cannot match is pretty much equivalent to a fresh pre-med out of college with 1-2 years of clinical experience.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

*****When 2020 comes along and IMG match rates drop to 20%

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s1100-c15.jpg

Edit: Added meme for effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, caribbean isnt bad if you want family med and internal med in shiesty parts of the country that work you to the bone and basically need bodies so they don't lose funding.

Just have to kill boards, absurd passing minimums (85% minimums to pass classes... DAFUQ?), survive hurricanes and floods, and live in a third world country with limited food rations and ****ty water quality.

Honestly... if you make it through all of that... hats off to you.. you deserve it lol

Reactions: 10 users
LMFAO these articles are pure gold.

The carib article is essentially a written form of this meme:

1569979773705.png

As for the second: :rofl: Hell you want to make some good, valid critiques of DO schools then go right ahead, I'll even help you out once I'm done training, but that article reads like a sophomore-in-high-school-level essay.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I met two Caribbean grads last week at a medical office working as administrative assistants. They told me they got their MD and wanted to go into the business side of healthcare thus decided not to go through with residency .... one of them gave me their business card (MD after their name) while introducing themselves. :whistle:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I met two Caribbean grads last week at a medical office working as administrative assistants. They told me they got their MD and wanted to go into the business side of healthcare thus decided not to go through with residency .... one of even gave me their business card (MD after their name) while introducing themselves. :whistle:
Or they can do whatever this job is lol
tapatalk_1569991752658.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Don’t necessarily disagree with either “article” here. Next year IMGs will be in previously unfilled former AOA spots. Not bc IMGs are desirable applicants, but just a program needs to fill. Although I’m sure some will be preferred over our grads. We beat out MDs for spots so it’s logical IMGs could do the same to us. But it’s not like they’ll be preferred over DOs just on the basis of their degree lol.

Vivian sounds like a tool, but we all know the holistic stuff is nonsense so I’ll agree with her there.

Overall, it’s just sad that things like this are published to deceive the unsuspecting pre med into thinking the Carib is a good option. Plenty of complaints to be made about DO schools, but the crap at Carib schools should be illegal.

Don’t necessarily disagree with either “article” here. Next year IMGs will be in previously unfilled former AOA spots. Not bc IMGs are desirable applicants, but just a program needs to fill. Although I’m sure some will be preferred over our grads. We beat out MDs for spots so it’s logical IMGs could do the same to us. But it’s not like they’ll be preferred over DOs just on the basis of their degree lol.

Vivian sounds like a tool, but we all know the holistic stuff is nonsense so I’ll agree with her there.

Overall, it’s just sad that things like this are published to deceive the unsuspecting pre med into thinking the Carib is a good option. Plenty of complaints to be made about DO schools, but the crap at Carib schools should be illegal.
I'll also add that many former AOA programs have osteopathic prerequisites of 100+ hours, which will eliminate many of these Carib applicants.

It's always a good idea to burn bridges before you even become a doctor /s.

Anytime she is googled this article will show up. Does she not expect to ever work with any DOs? What an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
What in the what??

The Trinity article is what I would expect from a Carib school trying to hook students. Vivian Wang's article reads like a poorly researched Op-Ed based on a brief conversation she had with DO school recruiter. It completely lacks any understanding of the history of medical education in the US, let alone the history of DOs. Its amazing she is willing to publish this with such little research and poor writing quality, and put her picture on it at that. I guess this is the age of finding someone online to publish whatever you want. Georgia Tech must have really needed some filler articles.

Hey Vivian, I have a bunch international medical journals emailing me that want to publish your manuscript. It'll only cost $2-3k and you and your friends can get a copy of the journal to show on your med school interviews.

Last edited:
  • Haha
So that's ballsy of Vivian. To post an article crapping on DO's with a giant picture of her face.
If she is gunning for Harvard it is probably a non-issue, but I know many state schools with DOs on their roster who do interviews. Also way down the line there are plenty of ACGME programs that have DO PD's. Smart move.

So that's ballsy of Vivian. To post an article crapping on DO's with a giant picture of her face.
If she is gunning for Harvard it is probably a non-issue, but I know many state schools with DOs on their roster who do interviews. Also way down the line there are plenty of ACGME programs that have DO PD's. Smart move.
It's like how when you're interviewing for med school, residency, fellowship etc, one of the worst things you can do is trash other programs. She just trashed thousands of physicians with one poorly-thought out article.

Reactions: 7 users
It's always a good idea to burn bridges before you even become a doctor /s.

Anytime she is googled this article will show up. Does she not expect to ever work with any DOs? What an idiot.
To her benefit, there is a NYT reporter with the same name. So she might be able to bury this one without too much difficulty, should the need arise (and oh, how I can't wait to see it arise).

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hmm, Trinity University that keeps spamming my email with their mission of “helping each student achieve his or her personal goals for medical practice”.

I feel disgusted by such schools. I want to feel bad for those who fall into the trap, but I don’t. If you’re too dumb/stubborn to realize you’re not medical school material, you deserve what happens to you, I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm, Trinity University that keeps spamming my email with their mission of “helping each student achieve his or her personal goals for medical practice”.

I feel disgusted by such schools. I want to feel bad for those who fall into the trap, but I don’t. If you’re too dumb/stubborn to realize you’re not medical school material, you deserve what happens to you, I guess.

I'm more disgusted by an OB/GYN (FMG grad who moved over to the US to practice medicine in the 80s) I once talked to gloat how much her friend who was a dean at one of this trashy Carib schools was making (literally calling it a great business). It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I'll also add that many former AOA programs have osteopathic prerequisites of 100+ hours, which will eliminate many of these Carib applicants.
I don’t know but I feel like they know that the time go to the carribean for Med school is coming to an end and this is their last ditch effort to get people to buy in

Caribbean students will almost certainly benefit from the merger. They will fill undesirable TRI-turned-ACGME transition year spots. The real question is whether this will negate the struggles that will inevitably come with increased competition from the ever-growing population of domestic medical grads. I suspect that it will not.

Vivian’s point is well-taken. The “DO difference” is a sham—just a weak, silly rationalization for the separation of two degrees that really should be one and the same. There’s nothing particularly “holistic” or philosophically unique about how DOs approach medical care. The only thing that truly makes DOs unique is their training in OMM, which is pseudoscientific alternative medicine that should be left to chiropractors.

Caribbean students will almost certainly benefit from the merger. They will fill undesirable TRI-turned-ACGME transition year spots. The real question is whether this will negate the struggles that will inevitably come with increased competition from the ever-growing population of domestic medical grads. I suspect that it will not.

Vivian’s point is well-taken. The “DO difference” is a sham—just a weak, silly rationalization for the separation of two degrees that really should be one and the same. There’s nothing particularly “holistic” or philosophically unique about how DOs approach medical care. The only thing that truly makes DOs unique is their training in OMM, which is pseudoscientific alternative medicine that should be left to chiropractors.
Anyone know if TRIs are medicare/medicaid funding nuetral like transition years? I.e. you can complete a TRI but maintain 100% funding for whatever residency you match into?

TRIs are (really "were" because now they don't exist) treated exactly the same by CMS as TYs.

The number of new DO grads that match (assuming NRMP match rate of 85% like 2019) since the start of the merger has already exceeded the number of open TRIs and other residencies that were unfilled prior to the start of the merger. There was an increase of ~1500 DO grads between 2014 and 2019. There were ~900 unfilled AOA residency spots in 2014. In 2019 >1000 more DOs matched than they did in 2014. At this point, DOs are filling more spots than the number the excess unfilled spots that existed prior to the merger.

Their math is flawed. A shear increase in number of spots does not necessarily mean better chance of matching because there will be an equivalent increase in the number of applicants. Prior to the merger, there were ~27k PGY-1 spots in the NRMP match and ~34k applicants. The merger has resulted in the ~3k AOA PGY-1 programs in the AOA match in 2014 coming to the NRMP match. That's an increase of 11% for PGY-1 positions. In that same time ~3.7k DO grad applicants are being added to the NRMP match, which is an increase of 11% for number of applicants. In other words it was a neutral change, because the ratio of applicants to PGY-1 positions is unchanged. The "benefit" to IMGs is nonexistent, because the number of added spots has been cancelled out by the increase in DO applicants in the NRMP match. If IMGs are matching former AOA spots, it's because they've been displaced from ACGME spots that they previously filled by DOs.

As far as the DO difference, you're right that the difference, save OMM, is nonexistent, NOW. But she implies in her article that it was always that way, when in fact in the past DO medical education emphasized prevention and a holistic approach far more than MD medical education. MD education has caught up, making the difference nonexistent.

• Love
“should garner the same amount of respect as a profession,”

“perhaps more importantly, the renown and respect that a profession in the healthcare sector demands.”

I don’t mind the overall premise of Vivi’s piece, save for the mUh pReStIgE vibes

To her benefit, there is a NYT reporter with the same name. So she might be able to bury this one without too much difficulty, should the need arise (and oh, how I can't wait to see it arise).

If AdComs do “ ‘First_Name Last_Name’ XYZ University,” they’ll get what they want. Figured out this when searching for myself and found my own opinion piece.

It’s unclear to me why she felt compelled to write and publish this article. I have a hard time imagining how it will ever benefit her (or, honestly, anyone else). Seems like the kind of thing that can only hurt you.

Osteopathy schools lack originality and purpose
This article is bunch of elitist 'i am better than DO's" crap written all over it, the jokes on her though. She should tell this to our OMM faculty who owns a clinic in town and he's being referred patients from neurologists and orthopedic surgeons (MD's and DO's) in town for patients who have serious MSK issues and they don't want surgery for it, he's banking and is overbooked, keep in mind that this is a smaller southern town where most people don't even know what a difference between a DO and MD is, all they know is that he's an awesome doc, knows his stuff and helps them avoid surgery for something as trivial as carpal tunnel syndrome. I also hope she knows that DO's are faculty at many MD school residency programs and there are many DO's who do interviews at these residency programs, she better hope that NO one read her little article or things could get rough for her elitist crap attitude.

• Haha

Unfortunately, most premeds believe they are medical school material until reality hit them in the face...

When you know people that felt into that trap, you can't help but feeling bad for them.

I only appreciate opinions if they're from a source that has knowledge about the subject. Vivian literally states so many falsehoods off the bat, her opinion is invalid.

• Love
I only appreciate opinions if they're from a source that has knowledge about the subject. Vivian literally states so many falsehoods off the bat, her opinion is invalid.

I can’t find any factual claims in the article that are untrue. Most can be confirmed in minutes just by visiting the AACOM website.

The only weakness I see in the article is that she neglected to mention OMM. She should have added a paragraph or two explaining that OMM is disgraceful, anecdote-based quackery that belongs strictly within the confines of a museum.

• Haha
I can’t find any factual claims in the article that are untrue. Most can be confirmed in minutes just by visiting the AACOM website.

The only weakness I see in the article is that she neglected to mention OMM. She should have added a paragraph or two explaining that OMM is disgraceful, anecdote-based quackery that belongs strictly within the confines of a museum.
Dude, if your a DO student a. You need to slow your roll and b. You know better. All of OMM is not quackery, some of it is for sure, but a large part of actual manipulation is similar to PT and has shown efficacy in msk complaints.
Your gonna be asked about this on interviews for residency at some point and more than likely by MDs who have no idea about chatmans but have seen benefit from actual manipulation. The kind of answer you put out here will not fly. I suggest you lighten the disgust, DO friendly residency tend to be OMM friendly also.

Dude, if your a DO student a. You need to slow your roll and b. You know better. All of OMM is not quackery, some of it is for sure, but a large part of actual manipulation is similar to PT and has shown efficacy in msk complaints.
Your gonna be asked about this on interviews for residency at some point and more than likely by MDs who have no idea about chatmans but have seen benefit from actual manipulation. The kind of answer you put out here will not fly. I suggest you lighten the disgust, DO friendly residency tend to be OMM friendly also.

Not only that, but her whole article is based on this idea that DO education emerged purely as a means to provide "alternative tracks to medical school to meet the primary care demand of the rapidly aging U.S. population". That may be how they advertise now to open up new schools, but it has nothing to do with how DO schools emerged as a professional education system. She has no idea at all about the history of DO schools, i.e. how they actually emerged, the historic significance of them in American medicine, and the fact that at the time, they were very much different than the traditional "heroic" medicine of the time, in that they prioritized prevention, health maintenance, and the concept of self-regulation. That stuff was not a priority for traditional medicine in the late 19th century (even though it had been in older iterations of medical practice).

The whole article functions on a false premise.

Plus, that last line, come on? Seriously, DO schools aren't pushing for preventative medicine? You're joking. Half of my curriculum emphasized that and primary care.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Not only that, but her whole article is based on this idea that DO education emerged purely as a means to provide "alternative tracks to medical school to meet the primary care demand of the rapidly aging U.S. population". That may be how they advertise now to open up new schools, but it has nothing to do with how DO schools emerged as a professional education system. She has no idea at all about the history of DO schools, i.e. how they actually emerged, the historic significance of them in American medicine, and the fact that at the time, they were very much different than the traditional "heroic" medicine of the time, in that they prioritized prevention, health maintenance, and the concept of self-regulation. That stuff was not a priority for traditional medicine in the late 19th century (even though it had been in older iterations of medical practice).

This is not only a pedantic point, but it’s also based on a misreading of what the article actually says. The part of the article you’re referring to says, ‘the emergence of “Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine’ (D.O.) schools in the world of medicine has largely been explained by the increased need for alternative tracks to medical school to meet the primary care demand of the rapidly aging U.S. population.” She’s clearly not making a claim about the objective historical founding of osteopathic medical profession; she’s describing how people tend to rationalize (“explain”) DO schools’ existence as they constantly open.

Plus, that last line, come on? Seriously, DO schools aren't pushing for preventative medicine? You're joking. Half of my curriculum emphasized that and primary care.

While AACOM claims that preventative medicine is at the core of osteopathic medicine, there is no evidence that DO physicians put more emphasis on preventative care than MD physicians, nor is there any data comparing MD and DO curricula when it comes to emphasis on preventative care.

Until it’s been proven otherwise through hard data, the “DO difference” doesn’t exist. DOs (who don’t practice the alternative medicine known as OMM) are functionally equivalent to MDs.

• Haha
This is not only a pedantic point, but it’s also based on a misreading of what the article actually says. The part of the article you’re referring to says, ‘the emergence of “Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine’ (D.O.) schools in the world of medicine has largely been explained by the increased need for alternative tracks to medical school to meet the primary care demand of the rapidly aging U.S. population.” She’s clearly not making a claim about the objective historical founding of osteopathic medical profession; she’s describing how people tend to rationalize (“explain”) DO schools’ existence as they constantly open.

While AACOM claims that preventative medicine is at the core of osteopathic medicine, there is no evidence that DO physicians put more emphasis on preventative care than MD physicians, nor is there any data comparing MD and DO curricula when it comes to emphasis on preventative care.

Until it’s been proven otherwise through hard data, the “DO difference” doesn’t exist. DOs (who don’t practice the alternative medicine known as OMM) are functionally equivalent to MDs.

Go read the article again. At no point in the whole article does she claim that's why DO schools are "currently" opening, but rather why they exist in general or the existence of another pathway in medicine in general. She seems perplexed why such a profession exists, assuming that the only explanation is the reason given for why new schools are being built, which is literally the same explanation of why every new medical school, including MD schools are built. The only reason one would be perplexed is because they have a complete misunderstanding or ignorance of the history of medical education in the US.

If your argument is that she's a poor writer and does a poor job of explaining the purpose of her article, then yeah, I guess you got me there.

Now as far as the last point, she states "it is a medical imperative that people begin to think of medicine less as a cut-and-dry diagnosis that leads to astronomical costs as issues are not resolved and more of an ongoing series of follow-ups", which honestly is among the definitions of primary care, and like I said, my school emphasized primary care. In order for DO schools to argue that they perform more of that service, all they need to do is argue that (a) its incorporated into their curricula (which it is) and (b) more DOs go into primary care (which they do). By definition then they are practicing more preventative medicine than the average MD, because more of them go into it. You can argue that more grads going into primary care from DO schools is for other reasons, which is probably true, but that doesn't change the outcome.

I didn't want to have to delve so much into this, but the biggest problems with the article is her lack of knowledge of the evolution of medicine. Its already preventative care and primary care focused. Part of that was DO schools. She complains that DO schools haven't done anything to push preventative and holistic medicine. Sure in maybe the last decade or two, but what about the last half century? The whole of medicine has changed and at least part of that is a result of a population of physicians coming out of DO schools with an emphasis on prevention and holistic care.

That's the problem with her article. Who cares that now MD and DO virtually the same? It doesn't negate the history or imply that DO schools should never have existed. If anything it's more a testament to DO schools being forward-thinking. Hell, even the ACGME is accrediting NMM fellowships and I know at least a handfuls of MDs that expressed interest in it. I've said it many times before, I don't care if the professions merge, but that's not the goal of articles like these. The goal is rather to put down DOs, while talking like she's an authority on a subject she severely lacks knowledge in.

Last edited:
  • Love
...Too much angst over what some loser author writes in an opinion piece. Here is a recent article from US News which states:

Although D.O. grads historically have pursued primary care careers more often than their M.D. peers, those trends are shifting, experts say. Many D.O. physicians enter primary care fields like family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics, Steier says, adding that a growing number of D.O. doctors are going into advanced specialties like anesthesiology, neurosurgery and invasive cardiology.

Kopelman adds that patients are becoming increasingly receptive to doctors with D.O. degrees. "I think this is the golden age for D.O.s in terms of being respected by patients," he says. "Patients are more educated and aware of the fact that there are both D.O.s and M.D.s and refer to both of these as doctors on equal footing."

• Love
. She has no idea at all about the history of DO schools, i.e. how they actually emerged, the historic significance of them in American medicine, and the fact that at the time, they were very much different than the traditional "heroic" medicine of the time, in that they prioritized prevention, health maintenance, and the concept of self-regulation. That stuff was not a priority for traditional medicine in the late 19th century (even though it had been in older iterations of medical practice).

Thank you. This is why I stated so many falsehoods off the bat. She had no idea how DO got started and stated it was this "new-wave" of alternative medicine. Not to be stereotypical, but from an Asian family, she's probably been engrained from very early on to go to MD school and her parents instilled disgust in a "lesser degree"

iight viv when youre 4yrs post grad working as a kaplan mcat tutor with 500k in debt looking for "clinical enrichment experience in the US" at my DO office ill keep this in mind

you have to EARN the right to talk shi* about DO school BS by going through 100s of hours of cranial and chapmans

Edit: just realized shes not a carib med student, not even a med student yet. Why burn bridges so early viv?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
iight viv when youre 4yrs post grad working as a kaplan mcat tutor with 500k in debt looking for "clinical enrichment experience in the US" at my DO office ill keep this in mind

you have to EARN the right to talk shi* about DO school BS by going through 100s of hours of cranial and chapmans

Edit: just realized shes not a carib med student, not even a med student yet. Why burn bridges so early viv?

It's a really complex conspiracy that we don't have the time to go into right now, but long story short she's not very smart.

• Haha
I met two Caribbean grads last week at a medical office working as administrative assistants. They told me they got their MD and wanted to go into the business side of healthcare thus decided not to go through with residency .... one of them gave me their business card (MD after their name) while introducing themselves. :whistle:

But seriously what is their plan for work?

But seriously what is their plan for work?

I feel bad for them, but they want to "grow" their current company and believe they are important to the operations. One of them is in charge of switching out the containers for the water dispensers ... :lame:

• Haha
I feel bad for them, but they want to "grow" their current company and believe they are important to the operations. One of them is in charge of switching out the containers for the water dispensers ... :lame:
Those things are heavy

Kaplan is not interested in her. MCAT > 510 only.

• Haha

Looks like she's trying to backpedal now.

• Haha

She's a brand-new opinion columnist for a college newspaper. Who cares what she has to say? Lord knows I wrote my share of bad columns when I was an undergrad.

Lolololololol the recant but still persistent in her ignorance. You can not critique medical education because you don’t belong to the medical community. You are a premed, so you do not have the inside knowledge of medical education to give you the authority to critique it

• Haha
  • Love
Guess she read/is reading this thread. Too late bay-bee!

• Haha