Cash-only OMT practice after intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intern_for_life

Reaction score
I have posted a similar question before but was curious if anybody has experience with starting a cash-only OMT practice after 1 year of residency and getting a license. I couldn't finish my pathology residency and did not match into primary care. I will of course try to apply again for next year but I am also considering the option of furthering my OMT skills and working with my DO brother in a clinic.

How realistic is it for me to expect work as somebody with just a pathology intern year starting out? I am not expecting to make a lot of money but enough to at least pay my bills and loans (around 100K would exceed my expectations).

What other things can I do if my brother can eventually supervise or bill for me in the clinic? I had always planned to finish a residency but since the cards aren't playing out the way I wanted, these are all things I am considering as I may never get my board certification.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Read here for primer on private practice:

I suspect you will be far happier in the coming 5 years doing this. You'll want to reach out to DO PCPs and Psychiatrists, and OB, and Pain clinics, etc.
Let them know you are opening a simple GP practice that will emphasize OMT and basic primary care. When you reach out to the IM/FM docs, approach them in context of if they are willing to to ever do one time consults for certain management of patients. Be straight up with patients your strength will be as OMT not Primary care (but in time that too will increase).

Avoid insurance if you can. Avoid it. Price your yourself on par or more than DCs. Don't undervalue yourself. Good luck! I'm excited for you.

When/if you pull the trigger on this, start a practice thread similar to mine in the internship forum. Build it up and post your successes and failures with your journey.

You'll likely want to use Charm as your EMR.

Reactions: 4 users