commuting intern year nyc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philmarcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello i am a single intern that is starting a intern year in the bronx. Im deciding if i should live in the LES with my best friend that is 40 minutes away with 2 trains or 20 minutes away in the UES. I think ill have more fun in the LES but am i deciding if thats an extra 20 minutes each day. Please help I am really torn up.

Members don't see this ad.

Im concern about a starting 630 on time. I would have to take the L to the 4. Are trains consistent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for the LES, and I'm very conservative when it comes to commutes. Can you end up walking to the 4 for exercise? I don't like the L.

Go for the LES, and I'm very conservative when it comes to commutes. Can you end up walking to the 4 for exercise? I don't like the L.

This is a good idea. I was in Manhattan and I would typically walk several extra blocks to avoid a transfer. It sucks in winter, but that's why New Yorkers have all that cold weather gear.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally i'd go closer commute. For intern year I'm staying 10 minutes from the hospital. After I get a hang of work flow and see the commute from other places I'll switch it up. Not sure if that's a possibility for you but time is a huge thing for me, I'd rather not kill 40+ minutes on a commute if I don't have to.

Hey OP...Legit honest question here (and for the record, I would have voted UES w/ a shorter commute and go downtown for fun when you had time off), has the fact that it's likely that nothing "fun" will be happening in NYC for the foreseeable future changed your opinion about this at all?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey OP...Legit honest question here (and for the record, I would have voted UES w/ a shorter commute and go downtown for fun when you had time off), has the fact that it's likely that nothing "fun" will be happening in NYC for the foreseeable future changed your opinion about this at all?

Not only that, but the thought of commuting daily in packed trains/subways in NYC sounds terrifying right now. I don't really see that changing much in a few months unless one of those vaccines comes through.

Reactions: 1 user