Categorical v Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spookster831

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to apply for the match this year in IM and I was wondering about categorical spots v. prelim spots. Are prelim spots easier to match it? Would I be ebtter off going for them? Is it a bad idea to go for both categorical and prelim in the same program? Obviously getting a categorical spot would be preferable to me but I am wondering if going for prelim would be a better option as I am applying as an IMG.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am planning to apply for the match this year in IM and I was wondering about categorical spots v. prelim spots. Are prelim spots easier to match it? Would I be ebtter off going for them? Is it a bad idea to go for both categorical and prelim in the same program? Obviously getting a categorical spot would be preferable to me but I am wondering if going for prelim would be a better option as I am applying as an IMG.

Depends a lot on your credentials. Probably would want to apply to both. Far more IMGs end up in prelims than categorical spots.

I had a different question but related to the same issue. Do you have to pay twice to apply for pre-lim and categorical positions at the same program?

For example. Let's say I wanted to apply in General Surgery at XYZ program. Would I have to pay $30 to apply to the categorical slot, plus another $30 for the prelim spot for a total of $60?

I had a different question but related to the same issue. Do you have to pay twice to apply for pre-lim and categorical positions at the same program?

For example. Let's say I wanted to apply in General Surgery at XYZ program. Would I have to pay $30 to apply to the categorical slot, plus another $30 for the prelim spot for a total of $60?

Think so, but that's not all bad, since the first 10 will be $85 again...

Has been discussed before: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=652662

Oh man.... Well thanks and sorry for the repost!!