cauliflower ears and interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neutropix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used the search function, and I couldn't find an answer to my question.

After years of wrestling and jiu-jitsu I have developed cauliflower ears. I did not have the foresight to think about using good headgear, which I now use. I'm thinking this definitely will hurt me in future interviews (medical school and beyond), so I am considering plastic surgery to repair these bad boys. Anyways what do you all think? For the record my ears aren't the worst you've seen; I'd give them a 4/10 in size and form. I am an otherwise decent looking, conservatively groomed human being.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna need pictures to properly assess.
Rugby-Player-with-Cauliflower-Ear-230x350.jpg

They are comparable to this ear right here. They protrude outward slightly more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stop being self conscious; it's fine. Remember, everyone cares much more about how they look rather than how anyone else looks.

Reactions: 1 users
Stop being self conscious; it's fine. Remember, everyone cares much more about how they look rather than how anyone else looks.
I'm not self conscious at all, bud. I'm worried that the look might preclude me from an acceptance. Thanks for the input. I hope you're right.

After years of wrestling and jiu-jitsu I have developed cauliflower ears. I did not have the foresight to think about using good headgear, which I now use. I'm thinking this definitely will hurt me in future interviews (medical school and beyond), so I am considering plastic surgery to repair these bad boys. Anyways what do you all think? For the record my ears aren't the worst you've seen; I'd give them a 4/10 in size and form. I am an otherwise decent looking, conservatively groomed human being.

Thanks.

Yeah BC when I see cauliflower ears, I always think wow what an idiot. He didn't have the foresight to use proper headgear.

(notsrs)
...I don't think anybody actually thinks that. Its something that is embarrassing to you because you know the real reason you have them. If you're someone who has trained for years, thats something you're going to be bringing up in interviews anyways, and it will make sense.

Last edited:
Yeah BC when i see cauliflower ears, I always think wow what an idiot. He didn't have the foresight to use proper headgear.

(notsrs)
...I don't think anybody actually thinks that. Its something that is embarrassing to you because you know the real reason you have them. If you're someone who has trained for years, thats something you're going to be bringing up in interviews anyways, and it will make sense.
Thanks for the response. I hope admission committees share the same sentiments.

Thanks.

Does proper headgear always prevent cauliflower ears? All of my HS wrestling coahces, that had wrestled at good colleges, had cauliflower ear except like 2.

Does proper headgear always prevent cauliflower ears? All of my HS wrestling coahces, that had wrestled at good colleges, had cauliflower ear except like 2.
Short answer- I'm not sure. From what I understand headgear wasn't used as much back in the day as is used now. Also, headgear like Cliff Keen's Twister F3 wasn't available either, which offers great protection. I know most of it is genetic because some people don't develop CF ears for years or at all. I've known some people whose ears blow up after 6 months on the mat, so there's that.

Most people probably wouldn't notice unless you brought it up first.

I have had students missing parts of their ears, so quit fussing.

I remember a woman who was a pediatric nephrologist at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. She had one arm that was withered and tiny. How tiny? Like a T. rex forearm! Didn't stop her.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That degree of deformity is really not noticeable, but please wear headgear in the future. Several of the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners that I know intentionally didn't wear headgear because they wanted cauliflower ears. They thought it made them look more experienced and fearsome as competitors. At least one eventually sought out surgery because the deformity was affecting his hearing. Note that the surgery will not always result in a normal appearing ear.

I remember a woman who was a pediatric nephrologist at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. She had one ar that was withered and tiny. How tiny? Like a T. rex forearm! Didn't stop her.

That was probably microtia, prevalence about 1-2 :10,000. It's slightly more common in some Asian populations. There's surgery to replace the ear, but it's very demanding and often requires multiple procedures. The quality of the results vary. The hearing is also affected.

Colleague, I apologize for the typo in my post, which I have fixed above. My point was to demonstrate that physical deformities haven't been a hindrance to people in Medicine I've met.

That was probably microtia, prevalence about 1-2 :10,000. It's slightly more common in some Asian populations. There's surgery to replace the ear, but it's very demanding and often requires multiple procedures. The quality of the results vary. The hearing is also affected.

Colleague, I apologize for the typo in my post, which I have fixed above. My point was to demonstrate that physical deformities haven't been a hindrance to people in Medicine I've met.

I understood that. I was just being pedantic in providing information that no one asked for, namely the details of the condition I believe you were describing. My comment was off topic, but I thought someone might benefit from it someday on rounds. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: 2 users
If anything, seeing that and knowing you were a wrestler would make me believe that you are harder working than most people. My brother wrestled, I know what they go through

Thanks.
Have you ever drained them, bro?

Yeah, I wrestled in high school and a lot of guys did this. Not sure how well it works, though, since it causes some initial inflammation. Evan Centopani is my favorite natty vegan bber.
There are some nurse MMA dudes on YT and they drain their cauliflowers all the time.

Rich Piranha is my favorite herbivore mammal.

I'm not self conscious at all, bud. I'm worried that the look might preclude me from an acceptance.

I'm not [character trait]. I'm simply [insert common example of previously mentioned character trait].

If you weren't overly self-conscious you wouldn't have asked the question. Of course if it'll kill the nerves or help you to do better on interview day, I'd say whatever -- go for it. Is it really necessary though? Probably not.

I have had students missing parts of their ears, so quit fussing.

I remember a woman who was a pediatric nephrologist at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. She had one arm that was withered and tiny. How tiny? Like a T. rex forearm! Didn't stop her.

And Goro comes in with the knockout.

Hopefully you were wearing proper headgear OP.

Thanks for the response. I hope admission committees share the same sentiments.
They share a mutual sentiment of the aversion to being kicked in the face. If anything, it'll help swing their vote..... in your favor. :diebanana:

It gives you an interesting/memorable story to tell. Goro even remembered the applicants missing body parts.

Rock what you have OP.

Guy in my class has cauliflower ears. Was helpful to learn from during physical exam practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

respect
im blue belt, never wear headguard, cauliflower still hasnt set in yet
I'll just warn you that it comes out of nowhere. Where do you train out of? And don't tell me you're a 10th planet blue belt either lol. You see EBI4? Eddie Cummings is a leg lock wizard.