Request for earlier interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I've had a few interviews now where they are only scheduling months out (my most recent one, the earliest available is all the way in April). Then after, I find out some people were able to schedule significantly earlier. Would it be too much to email admissions and ask them if I could change it if any earlier slots come up? Or should I just leave it be. I just feel like I'll be at a major disadvantage especially since all these schools are rolling admissions and have already released a lot of A's. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's not a high priority school on your list, then I wouldn't fret. If it's your only interview, I'd be nice in asking to move it up. Interview slots will open as more people with A's drop their other interview spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Rolling doesn't always mean that they are giving the seats to the first people who interview and are found acceptable. Some schools will break the number interviewed into groups representing 10-20% of the interviewed pool and make offers to X% of each subset where X is less than the total proportion who will get offers in the entire cycle. Then at the end, they make a few more offers to get to the total goal, or they reach the goal by reaching for the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Rolling doesn't always mean that they are giving the seats to the first people who interview and are found acceptable. Some schools will break the number interviewed into groups representing 10-20% of the interviewed pool and make offers to X% of each subset where X is less than the total proportion who will get offers in the entire cycle. Then at the end, they make a few more offers to get to the total goal, or they reach the goal by reaching for the waitlist.
That makes me feel better, thank you!

@Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM Thank you both for your previous responses. What do you think of the following email?

Dear Admissions Committee,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to interview with xxx SOM. The only date available for selection was in April 2024. Though I know I can't change the date in the portal myself, I am writing to inquire if there is a possibility of securing an earlier interview slot in case of any cancellations or openings. I am very excited at the prospect of being considered for admission here, and appreciate any guidance you may have. Thanks again!

Sincerely,

xxx

Reactions: 1 user
I'd get to the point with less dancing around.

Dear Admissions Committee,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to interview with xxx SOM. I have signed up for an interview on April __, 2024. Please keep me in mind if an earlier date becomes available due to a cancellation. I am very grateful for the opportunity to interview and appreciate your consideration of my request if circumstances allow.
Sincerely,

• Love
Reactions: 2 users