CBSE Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalhope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a dental student rounding up my D1 year. woop woop

I have some questions about the CBSE exam required for OMFS residency.

When is the best time to take the CBSE? / How long is the score valid for, or is that not a thing?

I understand that it varies, but approximately how much time should be allotted to prepare for this exam? / How does one go about studying for the CBSE while also keeping up with the dental school curriculum?

Additionally, with scores getting higher and higher, what is considered to be a competitive score? I have been reading high 70s???

I would also appreciate any resources, subscriptions, strategies, schedules, etc., that have helped you all along the way.

Thank you very much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Great question, and great time to ask this question. Earlier is better, as this allows you more time to improve your score or retake if needed. Starting the summer after D1 or D2 fall seem to be popular choices. Not sure on how long the score is valid for, but I don’t think that’ll be an issue for you. Some study for a couple months, whereas others study for a year. 6 months seems to be a good average for those who scored well. It really depends on your current understanding and your dental school curriculum. Simply put, you have to build it into your schedule and get it done. One thing I recommend is trying to find overlap between semester courses and CBSE studying. I will let someone else more qualified comment on what is considered a competitive score. Current residents would know best. As for materials, UWorld, first aid, and pathoma are routinely cited as the materials used by those who have been successful. I will personally vouch for the NBME practice exams. They are like gold when it comes to simulating the real thing and improving your score. Best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Great question, and great time to ask this question. Earlier is better, as this allows you more time to improve your score or retake if needed. Starting the summer after D1 or D2 fall seem to be popular choices. Not sure on how long the score is valid for, but I don’t think that’ll be an issue for you. Some study for a couple months, whereas others study for a year. 6 months seems to be a good average for those who scored well. It really depends on your current understanding and your dental school curriculum. Simply put, you have to build it into your schedule and get it done. One thing I recommend is trying to find overlap between semester courses and CBSE studying. I will let someone else more qualified comment on what is considered a competitive score. Current residents would know best. As for materials, UWorld, first aid, and pathoma are routinely cited as the materials used by those who have been successful. I will personally vouch for the NBME practice exams. They are like gold when it comes to simulating the real thing and improving your score. Best of luck.
What was your review technique for NBMEs?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. The best time depends on your schedule and your school's curriculum. I think the worst time is the July/August of D4 year when you are applying. The summer between D1/2 is the earliest you should be taking it. You will have more academic obligations (class, labwork, +/- research) in D2 and more clinical obligations (patients, externships, research) in D3. I think you can take it a max of 6 times and the score is valid for a while. Don't worry about it expiring if you apply while in school.

2. Huge variation from person to person. It took me ~5 months. It's less about the time and more about the strategy. There is no good way to study and keep up with the dental curriculum, it sucks, you just have to do it.

3. Competitive scores are ~80+ for 6 years and ~75+ for 4 years. (OLD scale)

4. Resources: (not an exhaustive list- these are what I have experience with between the CBSE and medical school)

Resources for practice questions/ reinforcement
- Uworld (high yield)
- AMBOSS (high yield)
- Past NBMEs (high yield)
- Anki (supplemental)

Resources for reference
- First Aid
- AMBOSS

Resources for learning material
- Pathoma (high yield)
- Boards and Beyond (high yield)
- Sketchy medicine (mid yield)
- Randy Neal MD (biostats) (supplemental)
- Dirty medicine youtube (supplemental)
- Pixorize (supplemental)
- Goljan Audio Lectures (supplemental)

You should spend time looking into all of these, see what works for you, and have some combo of the 3 categories in your plan.

Tips:

I took the test twice. The first time was a "dry run" after studying for ~3 weeks. This allowed me to asses if my studying was on par with the test questions. After I got my score I was able to refine my approach for the second test. I found this helpful but expensive.

Make a calendar with topics and plan how much time you will spend on each system. Make sure there is some flexibility built in. Be realistic and keep your dental school schedule in mind. If you have a big exam, you will probably not do as much CBSE stuff that week- you can make up the time the following week.

Organize the topics logically. Topics like biochem, biostats, and psych are heavy on memorization and could be better at the end of your schedule, closer to the exam. Topics like endocrine, immunology, and basic pathology have many tie-ins to the other systems and I studied them first for this reason.

I split my schedule into 2 general phases- content learning (phase I) and review/reinforcement (Phase II). You cannot possibly master all of the content given the your other obligations. If you miss some content in phase I, you will see it in the questions in phase II and learn it then. I also used practice questions in phase I (mostly UWORLD) to reinforce what I just learned.

NBMEs are the most similar to the CBSE questions. You must do them and review the content. NBME scores are mostly irrelevant as they do not influence when you are going to take the exam (as opposed to a med student who may postpone their STEP based on the NBME score). You should dissect every question on the test instead of looking at your score and ignoring the answers. The score is a distractor and will either make you over or under confident. I liked doing some of them as open book for this reason.

Last edited:
What was your review technique for NBMEs?
Tbh, not much besides reading and notes of the explanations. The NBME explanations are terrible compared to UWorld, and I found them pretty hard to follow. I tried to identify where I was weak and then hit that area hard in FA

Reactions: 1 users
1. The best time depends on your schedule and your school's curriculum. I think the worst time is the July/August of D4 year when you are applying. The summer between D1/2 is the earliest you should be taking it. You will have more academic obligations (class, labwork, +/- research) in D2 and more clinical obligations (patients, externships, research) in D3. I think you can take it a max of 6 times and the score is valid for a while. Don't worry about it expiring if you apply while in school.

2. Huge variation from person to person. It took me ~5 months. It's less about the time and more about the strategy. There is no good way to study and keep up with the dental curriculum, it sucks, you just have to do it.

3. Competitive scores are ~80+ for 6 years and ~75+ for 4 years.

4. Resources: (not an exhaustive list- these are what I have experience with between the CBSE and medical school)

- Uworld (high yield)
- AMBOSS (high yield)
- Anki (supplemental)

Resources for reference
- First Aid
- AMBOSS

- Pathoma (high yield)

You should spend time looking into all of these, see what works for you, and have some combo of the 3 categories in your plan.

Tips:

I took the test twice. The first time was a "dry run" after studying for ~3 weeks. This allowed me to asses if my studying was on par with the test questions. After I got my score I was able to refine my approach for the second test. I found this helpful but expensive.

Make a calendar with topics and plan how much time you will spend on each system. Make sure there is some flexibility built in. Be realistic and keep your dental school schedule in mind. If you have a big exam, you will probably not do as much CBSE stuff that week- you can make up the time the following week.

Organize the topics logically. Topics like biochem, biostats, and psych are heavy on memorization and could be better at the end of your schedule, closer to the exam. Topics like endocrine, immunology, and basic pathology have many tie-ins to the other systems and I studied them first for this reason.

I split my schedule into 2 general phases- content learning (phase I) and review/reinforcement (Phase II). You cannot possibly master all of the content given the your other obligations. If you miss some content in phase I, you will see it in the questions in phase II and learn it then. I also used practice questions in phase I (mostly UWORLD) to reinforce what I just learned.

NBMEs are the most similar to the CBSE questions. You must do them and review the content. NBME scores are mostly irrelevant as they do not influence when you are going to take the exam (as opposed to a med student who may postpone their STEP based on the NBME score). You should dissect every question on the test instead of looking at your score and ignoring the answers. The score is a distractor and will either make you over or under confident. I liked doing some of them as open book for this reason.
This is one the best summaries I’ve seen for how to study for CBSE. Just as a preface, I haven’t taken the exam yet, but am at like 150,000 Anki cards seen…. :/
As a D1 whose been studying for it since like November, there’s a lot I would go back and change, and I can go into that, but the biggest thing that’s been said a bunch on this site is just to dive in. You can try and map it out but there’s so much info that you just get lost in the sauce per say. I think for us dental people, boards and beyond is a must. I just started really using it like 2 months ago and I wish I started earlier. I think if you watch the videos, do the practice question bank and then do the corresponding Anki cards, you’ll crush the learning part. And then like the earlier comment said, just flying through UW question bank to actually learn how the questions are asked. And then sketchy for micro and pharm are musts but less important, which I regret cause I started with all those

Reactions: 1 users
And yes, trying to balance it with school D1 sucks. Sucks a lot. But it was easy everyone would do it

Reactions: 1 user

- Uworld (high yield)
- AMBOSS (high yield)
- Anki (supplemental)

Resources for reference
- First Aid
- AMBOSS

- Pathoma (high yield)

Tips:

Just to be clear, are we talking about 80 and 75 on the old or the new scale?

Thank you so much!

- Uworld (high yield)
- AMBOSS (high yield)
- Anki (supplemental)

Resources for reference
- First Aid
- AMBOSS

- Pathoma (high yield)

Tips:

Thanks!! Very thorough!! :)

What is the current cost for the CBSE? I’m trying to figure out if I have the funds for a “dry run”

What is the current cost for the CBSE? I’m trying to figure out if I have the funds for a “dry run”

It costs around $300 I think, but a dry run isn't necessary in my opinion, unless you want the experience of taking it in Prometric.

The practice NBME tests that they offer for like $60 each were very representative of the CBSE, at least the one given this past February.

It costs around $300 I think, but a dry run isn't necessary in my opinion, unless you want the experience of taking it in Prometric.

The practice NBME tests that they offer for like $60 each were very representative of the CBSE, at least the one given this past February.

Noted! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, especially for those at schools that are graded (GPAs/class ranks), what should I be aiming for? I know there are other factors to the application, but if you had to say.

Thanks in advance!

Additionally, especially for those at schools that are graded (GPAs/class ranks), what should I be aiming for? I know there are other factors to the application, but if you had to say.

Thanks in advance!

If you are not in the top 30% range then you should be able to explain why.

Look at the past years' match threads and you will get an idea of the stats of people matching. SDN is definitely above average in terms of stats but the majority of posters that match straight out of school are top 10-20% and also have an 80 CBSE.

2023 Match Thread
2022 Match Thread

If you are not in the top 30% range then you should be able to explain why.

Look at the past years' match threads and you will get an idea of the stats of people matching. SDN is definitely above average in terms of stats but the majority of posters that match straight out of school are top 10-20% and also have an 80 CBSE.

2023 Match Thread
2022 Match Thread

Thanks! I will check out those threads.

Just to be clear, are we talking about 80 and 75 on the old or the new scale?
I am referring to the old scale, thank you for pointing this out.

Hello, can anyone give a quick overview of the exam day. I understood that it is 4 blocks hour each and 1 hour break. Can you take the break when you need or it is just after each block? What to be aware of at the day of exam. Thank you

Hello, can anyone give a quick overview of the exam day. I understood that it is 4 blocks hour each and 1 hour break. Can you take the break when you need or it is just after each block? What to be aware of at the day of exam. Thank you
I understood it was 4 x 75min block, 15 min break after block 2 (I have not taken just from what I've read)

Can anyone who has taken the test in the past couple years comment on whether the questions are more similar to UWorld in length vs the NBMEs?

I’ve heard that they’ve basically just become step 1 questions and most stems are longer than what you’re seeing on the NBMEs but also less vague

Can anyone who has taken the test in the past couple years comment on whether the questions are more similar to UWorld in length vs the NBMEs?

I’ve heard that they’ve basically just become step 1 questions and most stems are longer than what you’re seeing on the NBMEs but also less vague
NBMEs are just old cbse exams, so they’re going to be the closest thing to cbse questions. UWorld was much more detailed and lower difficulty IMO

NBMEs are just old cbse exams, so they’re going to be the closest thing to cbse questions. UWorld was much more detailed and lower difficulty IMO
I guess that’s my point. The NBMEs are OLD CBSE exams. I’ve heard that recently the question lengths are closer to what’s seen in UWorld, but was wondering if anyone can confirm that.

Just take the CBSE and see for yourself
1687904560933.gif

• Haha
I guess that’s my point. The NBMEs are OLD CBSE exams. I’ve heard that recently the question lengths are closer to what’s seen in UWorld, but was wondering if anyone can confirm that.

Old NBMEs were very similar to the February cbse. Some stems were long, some were short, just like the NBMEs. Style of question was not really similar to uworld in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users