CBT vs Paper MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batman1983

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I took the last paper MCAT in 2006 and got a 34R(I messed up on the PS which was my best section). Anyways, I applied last year with that score and didnt get to med school, and am reapplying right now(still not looking good).
Anyways, Ive been thinking of ways to improve my app in case I dont get in. My GPA is fixed and I believe my ECs are relatively strong considering I have lots of work experience. The only thing I didnt do was research, but then again, I really dont want to do research anyways. So, Im thinking my MCAT is probably the only thing I can improve. In the practice paper exams, I was regularly getting between 36-38. But, since that was almost a 1.5 years ago, I have forgotten much of the info, as well as I have never taken a CBT test before. Could people give me their thoughts/opinions on the CBT format(especially anyone that took the paper and CBT MCAT)? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A 34R won't hold you back except maybe from the top 10. I think you may want to get some more ECs. By more ECs I don't mean more hospital stuff, but something outside it. Perhaps volunteer at a soup kitchen or work a summer camp doing something you love. You could also look into finding some research. Again, I doubt your MCAT is preventing you entrance. I think the things that are hurting you are mainly GPA, but especially applying so late.