CC modes of ventilation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazylarry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am going into my peds CC rotation soon and need some help with basic vent settings. From a book standpoint I understand them well. However, functionally, I have trouble grasping them. Here's what I know...so please correct if wrong and if there's anything else I should know. And also, I am confused as to tell if someone is "breathing above vent". I look at the ventilator machine (on SIMV for instance) and it shows RR set at 20 for instance, but then the patient's RR per monitor is lower..how is that possible? I feel like I'm missing something here.

SIMV - delivers ventilator assisted breaths at set RR, but allows spontaneous breaths. So for intubated patients or patients who have problems breathing spontaneously

Bipap - patients must trigger breaths, and positive airway pressure varies between inspiration and expiration. Used for transitioning from vent to normal breathing. This (and CPAP) are the breathing masks that people put on.

CPAP - patients must trigger breaths, and positive airway pressure is the same throughout. same use as bipap.

Please help me out if something is totally wrong here

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should quickly pick up a book called "The Ventilator Book" by Williams Owens, MD. I found it to be super helpful in understanding the basics of vents. Its a quick read as well.