CC-->University-->Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgeonTime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a junior college student who just got accepted to a 4 year university. I've been reading these forums for a while and i've seen how OChem should be taken at a 4 year, which no counselors or anyone else told me! I was wondering if you guys could refer me to more information for cc/transfer-students persuing medical school,

Thank you for your time:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I'm a junior college student who just got accepted to a 4 year university. I've been reading these forums for a while and i've seen how OChem should be taken at a 4 year, which no counselors or anyone else told me! I was wondering if you guys could refer me to more information for cc/transfer-students persuing medical school,

Thank you for your time:)

No one can say it should be taken anywhere. check with your med schools and see if they accept it from either place. Chances are they will. If so, it matters not. Search through the threads here, lots of people are in med school having taken many courses at CC.

There is no real info on CC grads going to med school because its really a lot less of a deal than people on SDN make it out to be. Especially if you transfer your credits to your 4-year. Just get good grades (a given) and you will be fine.

i was told by the school i want to go to that they really prefer not to see classes done at a CC. however i want to make myself competitive for this specific school. i would say don't chance it, but then again, i haven't the slightest idea of what other schools REALLY think about it. I am sure most will say they prefer 4 year classes, but that might not mean anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do as much as possible at the CC, and then just prove yourself at the University by taking the two tough ones: ochem and physics. So long as you do well on those two at the uni, you'll be fine and they'll take your CC grades seriuosly IMHO.

I see, i withdrew from Physics E&M and OChem(1st semester) in my sophomore year just for that reason, i'll take it at a univ to be safe...do you guys know if med schools have any problem with students staying 5 years instead of the regular 4?

Thanks alot for your advice!:)

This is probably very school-dependent, but I spent 5 years as an undergrad and had no problem getting in. Of course, I only decided to pursue medicine when I was a junior so I tacked on the extra year to complete the pre-reqs. So long as you have a plausible explanation for taking the extra time I doubt anyone will hold it against you. Be careful about dropping too many science classes, though.

As for CC to University to Med School, it can be done - I did my first 2 years at a CC, though my pre-reqs were at the university.

Weave your CC experience and the (possible) 5th year of undergrad into your Personal Statement narrative as a positive and you'll be fine.

I see, Thanks alot for your advice everyone, i greatly appreciate them!:):D