Central PA UPMC facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotsapain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know anything about central PA UPMC facilities ie Altoona, Williamsport etc... how do they compare to Pitt UPMC facilities ( and all the central PA facilities) in general? Seem to be much dissatisfaction with certain UPMC sites but it varies .

Members don't see this ad.

My friend left Altoona….‘nough said. Didn’t like the calls.

Usual stuff. Came in at calls around 11am but someone’s asked to come in earlier. Some drinking (alcoholics) etc…happens at every place I’ve been at with anesthesia.

Last edited:
My friend left Altoona….‘nough said. Didn’t like the calls.

Usual stuff. Came in at calls around 11am but someone’s asked to come in earlier. Some drinking (alcoholics) etc…happens at every place I’ve been at with anesthesia.

I am not following... what does the alcoholism has to do with the calls lol.. What about Williamsport location ?They also have Hamot I think

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not following... what does the alcoholism has to do with the calls lol.. What about Williamsport location ?They also have Hamot I think
It’s dysfunctional. A bunch of dysfunctional people working. There. I’m sure the turnover is high.

You will make good money. That’s the attraction.

What I’m saying is if my call starts at 11am. And they ask me to come in early. It’s Trauma place. It gets old after a while.

That is no perfect place.

I’ll try to find out out Williamsport location with my vast networking I have.

It’s dysfunctional. A bunch of dysfunctional people working. There. I’m sure the turnover is high.

You will make good money. That’s the attraction.

What I’m saying is if my call starts at 11am. And they ask me to come in early. It’s Trauma place. It gets old after a while.

That is no perfect place.

I’ll try to find out out Williamsport location with my vast networking I have.

That is sorta what I heard about Altoona too through the many providers I know, was curious if that's true... wanted to see if its an individual thing
or a place thing...... why? Does UPMC pay well? I know they had taken over a few private groups from the little hospitals

That is sorta what I heard about Altoona too through the many providers I know, was curious if that's true... wanted to see if its an individual thing
or a place thing...... why? Does UPMC pay well? I know they had taken over a few private groups from the little hospitals
Locums at Altoona was only offering $275. I chose a different hospital not in the Upmc system. Chill Locums gig tbh. Pm if you are interested

Locums at Altoona was only offering $275. I chose a different hospital not in the Upmc system. Chill Locums gig tbh. Pm if you are interested

275?!
I would not do anything for less than 300…. It may be easy, it’s also Altoona….

Last edited:
275?!
I would not do anything for less than 300…. It may be easy, it’s also Altoona….
Some places in Florida are still $250/275/hr w2 PER DIEM. Not even 1099

And guess what. They find takers. Mommy track anesthesia docs will take it. Someone will take it usually.

Some places in Georgia I know are $225/250hr 1099. My pain buddy covers it occasionally cause it’s down the street from their house and easy work

And guess what. They find takers. Mommy track anesthesia docs will take it. Someone will take it usually.

Some places in Georgia I know are $225/250hr 1099. My pain buddy covers it occasionally cause it’s down the street from their house and easy work

Then might as well just do this.

I had a locum recruiter offer $250/hr to play firefighter at an HCA hospital with up to 6 rooms at a time. What a joke.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
We got way off track from the PA market here

We got way off track from the PA market here

Central PA covers everything between Philly and Pittsburgh. It gets tricky to compare everything.
From what I’ve seen, maybe smaller UPMC facilities are looking for people chronically. Wellspan not as much. From time to time, Allentown St Lukes. Reading has been looking for people more often than not for the last few years.

Are any of them better the others? Probably can’t tell unless you’ve been there.

Central PA covers everything between Philly and Pittsburgh. It gets tricky to compare everything.
From what I’ve seen, maybe smaller UPMC facilities are looking for people chronically. Wellspan not as much. From time to time, Allentown St Lukes. Reading has been looking for people more often than not for the last few years.

Are any of them better the others? Probably can’t tell unless you’ve been there.
Mostly interested in areas such as Denville, Wilkes-barre, Williamsport, maybe Scranton

Are we just going to gloss over the fact that we have a bunch of alcoholic anesthesiologists and supposedly that's the norm at most places...

• Haha
Are we just going to gloss over the fact that we have a bunch of alcoholic anesthesiologists and supposedly that's the norm at most places...
I am not sure what this has to do with the topic we are discussing here?!?!

I am not sure what this has to do with the topic we are discussing here?!?!
If I lived in the middle of Pennsylvania, I'd probably be an alcoholic. So it is relevant.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users