Certified ethical Hacker (Mention or not?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aidyl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Certified Ethical Hacker and I don't work for companies but I use this to help social movements online. For example, if someone who has a page for human right movement but gets hacked by the "bad" people, I help them to get it back and secure it. People also call me to be able to secure their accounts, websites...etc before they get hacked.

I only help the good causes and I don't ask for money. I just come from a country where internet is a danger for activists but a great tool to spread the word, so I just try to help from the U.S. since they risk their freedom (a lot of them get jailed).

I don't know if I should mention this.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about the certification... but it sounds like an interesting job. If anything you do is technically illegal or questionable from an ethics standpoint I would not talk about it. However, if this activity is totally legal, I think it's certainly a unique activity you could include.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know anything about the certification... but it sounds like an interesting job. If anything you do is technically illegal or questionable from an ethics standpoint I would not talk about it. However, if this activity is totally legal, I think it's certainly a unique activity you could include.
Nothing illegal of course. I do everything with authorization and in defensive mode which is legal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. You never know what sort of stodgy old ADCOM with a black and white worldview that all hacking is bad you'll piss off or somehow offend with that job. It's cool and awesome, but still, save it for fun conversations with people who can actually understand.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds to me like a 'Independent Internet Security Consultant'.

Reactions: 17 users
I wouldn't. You never know what sort of stodgy old ADCOM with a black and white worldview that all hacking is bad you'll piss off or somehow offend with that job. It's cool and awesome, but still, save it for fun conversations with people who can actually understand.
haha, that's what I was thinking too.

Sounds to me like a 'Independent Internet Security Consultant'.
Probably better to call it that way than "hacker" since it has unfortunately a bad connotation.

Probably better to call it that way than "hacker" since it has unfortunately a bad connotation.

Yeah it's kinda absurd to be honest since hacker is a neutral term.

You are a white hat hacker, as you test and improve security.

The "bad" hackers are black hat, who engage in criminal activity.

Gray hat hackers are a mix of both.

This doesn't sound like hacking; it's sounds like honest IT work. ...website maintainance.
Hello,

I am a Certified Ethical Hacker and I don't work for companies but I use this to help social movements online. For example, if someone who has a page for human right movement but gets hacked by the "bad" people, I help them to get it back and secure it. People also call me to be able to secure their accounts, websites...etc before they get hacked.

I only help the good causes and I don't ask for money. I just come from a country where internet is a danger for activists but a great tool to spread the word, so I just try to help from the U.S. since they risk their freedom (a lot of them get jailed).

I don't know if I should mention this.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't know there was such a thing... Kinda cool though. Subject of one of your secondary essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
On a slightly related note, one of my hobbies for several years has been informing people about better online/computer security practices. However, I don't do this in any official capacity, have no one to verify that I do this, and base my activity on a forum - obviously something that inherently lacks credibility. Is this something I could list as a hobby, or is it likely to be a little too out there for most Adcoms? And if I were to do so, is there a reasonable possibility that I'll be asked to supply the name of the forum I do this on? (The name is rather... unprofessional, although not offensive, and I'm sure it wouldn't help me make a case for why this is an interesting, semi-altrustic hobby :p )

On a slightly related note, one of my hobbies for several years has been informing people about better online/computer security practices. However, I don't do this in any official capacity, have no one to verify that I do this, and base my activity on a forum - obviously something that inherently lacks credibility. Is this something I could list as a hobby, or is it likely to be a little too out there for most Adcoms? And if I were to do so, is there a reasonable possibility that I'll be asked to supply the name of the forum I do this on? (The name is rather... unprofessional, although not offensive, and I'm sure it wouldn't help me make a case for why this is an interesting, semi-altrustic hobby :p )
As others have said, I would list this under a term other than "hacking," and include the info quoted as part of the description for this activity. No need to list this as a separate item.

Sounds bad@ss. It could be a unique topic for discussion and I'm sure you could convey how much benefit your work can bring to companies and individuals.

As others have said, I would list this under a term other than "hacking," and include the info quoted as part of the description for this activity. No need to list this as a separate item.
I am not OP :p Just someone else wondering about the risks of listing a computer-related activity.

This doesn't sound like hacking; it's sounds like honest IT work. ...website maintainance.
Yes, it is hacking but I will stop using that word since the definition is unclear for most of the people.
Internet security consultant sounds perfect.

Thank you everyone. This was really helpful.

Didn't know there was such a thing... Kinda cool though. Subject of one of your secondary essays?
I could include this anywhere since all my application will show my work and interest in human rights and social justice.

I'm curious about "the H word" controversy. Sure, 'hacking' has some negative connotations; but it's also a very attention-getting word. Sorry @Goro,, but "website maintainance" is soporific, "internet security" only slightly less so. But definitely make the 'white hat' bit abundantly clear.

@blackroses, "one of my hobbies for several years has been informing people about better online/computer security practices." -- My first instinct on reading this was "Offering unsolicited advice to friends". I gather this is not what you are describing, but you may want to reframe.

I am not OP :p Just someone else wondering about the risks of listing a computer-related activity.

Oops, I apologize. Because you aren't doing anything in an official capacity, at best you could list what you described as a hobby. It doesn't sound significant enough to list in my opinion, but you may choose to do so if it really is something you are passionate about.