cGPA 3.59 sGPA 3.56 international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lijingqiu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to apply for US medical school during next application cycle. I know it is difficult for international students to get into US medical school. I am wondering what should I do to increase my competitiveness.

Here is my basic background.
I got my undergraduate degree in biochem from a top 50 US university. Currently, I am a master student in biology department.
GPA
My undergrad cGPA is 3.59, and sGPA is about 3.56. This GPA only calculates my grades from junior and senior year. I attended a university in my home country for my freshman and sophomore year, and then got transferred to a US college. They only transferred some of my credits, but not my grades.
My graduate GPA is around 3.73. I only took science classes for my master degree. So far, I took advanced biochem, advanced cell bio, computational bio, pharmacology, molecular bio.
MCAT
I am preparing for MCAT. My goal is to get something around 35. If I can get a high mcat score, is this going to compensate my weak GPA?
EC
-Research
I did research for two semesters when I was a undergrad. Now, I am working on another research project for my master's thesis. I think before next application cycle, I should be able to publish one or two papers. I will have three years of research experience at the time of next application cycle.
-Shadow
This summer, I shadowed a surgical pathologist for about 30 hours. I am going to shadow an emergency doctor who works in my home country. Next semester, I will shadow an ob and an oncologist. Hopefully, I could get around 200 hours.
-Volunteer
I did a lot volunteering back in my home country. I volunteered in hospitals, CDC, blood drive and a library. I also did volunteering in a nursing home and a psychiatry center for patient interaction and an environmental organization in US. I am also thinking going to a hospital and a cancer center for volunteering for next semester (these two are going to be in US).
-Leadership
I was the volunteer coordinator for one of my volunteering work in my home country.
I was the class president during my freshman and sophomore year.
I know this part also looks weak. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.