MD cGPA 3.72 New MCAT 81-91%, MD/PhD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceispower94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am considering applying to MD/PhD and MD programs this cycle. My cGPA is 3.72 and my new MCAT %ile is 81-91%. I'm a Virginia resident and go to the College of William and Mary. I have had four years of research and one publication, an honors thesis on its way, and research experience at Johns Hopkins. Do you have any suggestions for schools? Here's the list of the schools I have so far... are my chances okay?

-Keck School of Medicine
-University of Virginia School of Medicine
-Rochester University
-Drexel
-Georgetown
-George Washington Univeristy
-Virginia Commonwealth University
-Emory
-Stanford (my reach)
-Jefferson
-Eastern Virginia Medical School (MD only)
-Virginia Tech Carilion (MD only)

Members don't see this ad.

the average MD/PhD student had a 3.8/35. your MCAT is something like a 31-33, so you've got an uphill battle for MD/PhD, but it's not impossible

Not with that MCAT, alas, unless you can get it > 90%ile.

Hey all,

I am considering applying to MD/PhD and MD programs this cycle. My cGPA is 3.72 and my new MCAT %ile is 81-91%. I'm a Virginia resident and go to the College of William and Mary. I have had four years of research and one publication, an honors thesis on its way, and research experience at Johns Hopkins. Do you have any suggestions for schools? Here's the list of the schools I have so far... are my chances okay?

-Keck School of Medicine
-University of Virginia School of Medicine
-Rochester University
-Drexel
-Georgetown
-George Washington Univeristy
-Virginia Commonwealth University
-Emory
-Stanford (my reach)
-Jefferson
-Eastern Virginia Medical School (MD only)
-Virginia Tech Carilion (MD only)

Members don't see this ad :)
the average MD/PhD student had a 3.8/35. your MCAT is something like a 31-33, so you've got an uphill battle for MD/PhD, but it's not impossible
Not with that MCAT, alas, unless you can get it > 90%ile.

Except for Emory, Keck, UVA and Stanford (and maybe Rochester), OP's school selection list doesn't have research powerhouses, so I expect applying MD/PhD to those schools should be okay with the current stats.

OP, I realize you like research a lot, but I'm not sure whether you will enjoy the MD/PhD programs at non-MSTP schools, which seem to be dominant in your list. I recommend you dial back and apply to MD only at low and mid-tier medical schools and pursue academic medicine there. MDs can do research without a PhD (just ask a lot of the Nobel Prize winning scientists).

MD/PhD applicants need to be at the top of the pool no matter where they apply to. After all, the schools are paying them!

Except for Emory, Keck, UVA and Stanford (and maybe Rochester), OP's school selection list doesn't have research powerhouses, so I expect applying MD/PhD to those schools should be okay with the current stats.

OP, I realize you like research a lot, but I'm not sure whether you will enjoy the MD/PhD programs at non-MSTP schools, which seem to be dominant in your list. I recommend you dial back and apply to MD only at low and mid-tier medical schools and pursue academic medicine there. MDs can do research without a PhD (just ask a lot of the Nobel Prize winning scientists).