cGPA 3.86 sGPA 3.83 37MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sithis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about casting my net far and wide ~15 schools both MD and DO

Applying this cycle,
Oklahoma Resident
University of Oklahoma
Microbiology Major, Biology, Chemistry, Health and Exercise Science minors

-cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.83 (Expecting a 4.0 this semester and will bump up)
-March 22, 2014 MCAT 37/12VR/11PS/14BS
-120Hours volunteering in NICU
60 Hours volunteering in ER
40 Hours in Post Anesthesia Care Unit
-Only 50 hours shadowing, family practice and pediatrics (pediatrics or pediatric surgery is my end goal)
-Currently Researching in a plant biology lab working with global warming/climate change and carbon flux (March - Present)
1 semester Pathogenic Microbiology Research Lab studying E. coli knockout mutant competition in vivo in mouse intestines.
Currently applying for another summer research position, and have my honors thesis upcoming.
-200+ various volunteer hours, mostly as a tutor and with various organizations doing work in and around my city and university, scientific study subject/volunteer
-Several part-time jobs over my college career.
Current Facility Supervisor for a local gym.(Jan 2014- Present) 20-35hrs/week (varies)
Assistant Manager at public pool for 1 summer 80hrs/week
Lifeguard Past 4 summers 60-70hrs/week
Conference Center Employee 10hrs/week freshman year
-ECs
Chi Alpha Campus Ministry August 2011- Present (usually 10 hrs/week involvement)
American Society of Microbiology August 2013-Present (1 meeting every other week)
Phi Kappa Phi (10 hours/month)
Alpha Lambda Delta (10 hrs/month)
NSCS (10hrs/month)

The schools I'm planning on applying to:

Emory
Duke
Harvard
MC Georgia
Philadelphia College of OM -Georgia
University of Oklahoma
UNC
Oklahoma State
Baylor
UT Southwestern
UVA
Connecticut
Kentucky
Georgetown

Any suggestions/criticisms/questions are more than welcome! I really feel like my weakest points are shadowing and research, any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a strong application, but I think you should try to go for more private schools that are OOS friendly. You have a number of schools on your list that are publics that prefer in-state applications. Even a strong application that is well above their average is dicey at those places. For example, UNC, UVA, UConn and Kentucky. This isn't to say you won't be accepted there - your application is strong and you stand a chance anywhere. If I were you I'd just add a few more that are OOS friendly. For this, taking a look at the MSAR might be very helpful.

On a more personal note, if you're thinking about applying to UNC/Dook you must not mind the idea of living in NC, in which case you should totally apply to Wake Forest. I'm a little biased, but it's a pretty awesome school.

You have a strong application, but I think you should try to go for more private schools that are OOS friendly. You have a number of schools on your list that are publics that prefer in-state applications. Even a strong application that is well above their average is dicey at those places. For example, UNC, UVA, UConn and Kentucky. This isn't to say you won't be accepted there - your application is strong and you stand a chance anywhere. If I were you I'd just add a few more that are OOS friendly. For this, taking a look at the MSAR might be very helpful.

On a more personal note, if you're thinking about applying to UNC/Dook you must not mind the idea of living in NC, in which case you should totally apply to Wake Forest. I'm a little biased, but it's a pretty awesome school.

UVA is actually pretty OOS friendly OP (the class is 50/50)

So I'm thinking about casting my net far and wide ~15 schools both MD and DO

Applying this cycle,
Oklahoma Resident
University of Oklahoma
Microbiology Major, Biology, Chemistry, Health and Exercise Science minors

-cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.83 (Expecting a 4.0 this semester and will bump up)
-March 22, 2014 MCAT 37/12VR/11PS/14BS
-120Hours volunteering in NICU
60 Hours volunteering in ER
40 Hours in Post Anesthesia Care Unit
-Only 50 hours shadowing, family practice and pediatrics (pediatrics or pediatric surgery is my end goal)
-Currently Researching in a plant biology lab working with global warming/climate change and carbon flux (March - Present)
1 semester Pathogenic Microbiology Research Lab studying E. coli knockout mutant competition in vivo in mouse intestines.
Currently applying for another summer research position, and have my honors thesis upcoming.
-200+ various volunteer hours, mostly as a tutor and with various organizations doing work in and around my city and university, scientific study subject/volunteer
-Several part-time jobs over my college career.
Current Facility Supervisor for a local gym.(Jan 2014- Present) 20-35hrs/week (varies)
Assistant Manager at public pool for 1 summer 80hrs/week
Lifeguard Past 4 summers 60-70hrs/week
Conference Center Employee 10hrs/week freshman year
-ECs
Chi Alpha Campus Ministry August 2011- Present (usually 10 hrs/week involvement)
American Society of Microbiology August 2013-Present (1 meeting every other week)
Phi Kappa Phi (10 hours/month)
Alpha Lambda Delta (10 hrs/month)
NSCS (10hrs/month)

The schools I'm planning on applying to:

Emory
Duke
Harvard
MC Georgia
Philadelphia College of OM -Georgia
University of Oklahoma
UNC
Oklahoma State
Baylor
UT Southwestern
UVA
Connecticut
Kentucky
Georgetown

Any suggestions/criticisms/questions are more than welcome! I really feel like my weakest points are shadowing and research, any advice?

Your shadowing is good (along with the rest of your ECs). Your research is also fine, though may be on a bit of a low side, but as long as you continue working on it, you shouldn't have a problem. Your stats are good, so there is no reason to apply to DO schools, unless you have a personal interest. Also, I would replace Connecticut, Kentucky and Georgetown (and possibly Georgia since you're an OOSer) (note: unless you have very close ties to one of these regions), with something better like Northwestern, Case, NYU, Vanderbilt etc. (you can get an MSAR to see the schools you're interested), but this gives you a rough idea. Adcoms can attest to this.