cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.86, MCAT 33. Advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OPanchor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
Here are my stats:

Major: Biology, Chemistry, at IL (public university)
cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.86
MCAT: 33 (11 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS)
IL resident, non-URM
ECs:
Research with minor authorship on a pub for JBC (over 1000 hours)
EMS (campus club) (3.5 years, 200+ hours)
Work via tutoring, pharmacy tech, lab tech, in the early years of UG
Campus tutoring club exec board (last year), free tutoring services through club (2 years)
Research assistant/informal shadowing at clinic for one summer
Hopefully getting an official shadowing gig in the near future!

I would just like to make a realistic list of schools that I would like to, and have a chance at, attending. I do have a passion for research, hence the higher tier schools in the list. Please feel free to add on more or what not. I want to narrow the list down but don't know where to start, so I only listed the ones I more or less want to apply to. Do what you will to make it a better fit! THANKS :D

IL:
UIC
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Northwestern
UChicago(?)

WI:
Medical CoW
Wisc-Madison

PA:
UPitt (?)

IA:
UIowa Carver

CO:
UColorado

MO:
SLU
Missouri-Kansas

CA: (use to go here every winter...crapshoot but it would be so nice :oops:)
UCLA
USC
UC Irvine

MN:
UMinn
Mayo

FL:
UMiami
UFlorida Gainesville

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I count 10 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. I usually recommend at least a dozen with your stats, but you are in a slightly better position than most.

Thanks for the feedback! Can you elaborate on your opinion, besides the obvious Illinois mid tier ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! Can you elaborate on your opinion, besides the obvious Illinois mid tier ones?
I'm sure that you can count them as easily as I. You just have to decide if you are more risk averse or less than 10 chances will allow.

Most of my advisees are from CA. You are in a better position due to your state of residence.

I'm sure that you can count them as easily as I. You just have to decide if you are more risk averse or less than 10 chances will allow.

Most of my advisees are from CA. You are in a better position due to your state of residence.

I think I understand what you're saying. Being in IL > Being in CA for an applicant. Thanks again!