cgpa3.52, sgpa 3.17, 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedandbrown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my basic stats are up top. I went to an early college program at age 16 and then went to "real" college at 18, and now I'm ready to apply at age 20. My trend has been okay, but this last semester I didn't do so hot.(initially I said these were my stats from my "real" college only but I forgot that I actually put everything into this excel sheet I made, so these stats include all my grades)

I literally always only wanted to be a doctor since I was a little kid. I cannot remember where it came from, but I do know that I've just kept working towards this goal ever since I can remember and never thought about other options (nor did my parents). I don't want to give up this dream because of all the effort up until now.

I have A LOT OF VOLUNTEERISM, LEADERSHIP, EC, but do medical schools really care for those? Take a look at what I've done (I wont put the detailed versions like on my TMDSAS app):

Healthcare Volunteering:
-180 hours nursing home 9/11-4/13
-108 hours HOSA 9/13-5/15 (planned till 5/16)
-192 hours Presby hospital 6/14-12/14
-48 hours Costa Rica Mission Trip

Regular Volunteering:
-240 hours Middle school tutoring for kids coming from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds 8/11-5/13
-46 hours Big Brother Big Sister 10/12-5/13
-48 hours HOSA 9/13-5/15

Shadowing:
-Urology Doctor at UTSW for 60 hrs (1 whole week every day)
-40 hours with 3-4 different doctors/departments at Presby that was set up through the volunteer program I was in

Employment:
-Was a geometry TA for a math summer camp 7/13-7/13
-Peer Advisor (Resident Advisor/Assistant) 8/14-5/15 (planned till 5/16)

Leadership:
- StuCo President 8/12-5/13 (at early college)
-Middle School tutoring Committee Chair 8/12-5/13 (at early college)
-BBBS Mentor 10/12-5/13 (at early college)
-HOSA team captain and led team to 1st place at nationals last summer and hoping to do so again this summer 12/13-5/15 (planned till 5/16)
-Peer Advisor 8/14-5/15 (planned till 5/16)
-Fraternity President 5/15-5/16

EC/Leisure:
-180 hours HOSA 8/13-5/15 (planned till 5/16)
-90 Hours Fraternity 8/14-5/15 (planned till 5/16)
-innumerable hours for Indian Classical and Bollywood dance ever since I was 7 years old
-Tennis

So yeah what do you guys think are my chances at an MD/DO school? I'm applying in state almost everywhere in Texas, and below are my out of state choices:

MD:
UNM School of Medicine
UMKC School of Medicine
University of Arkansas Medical School
West Virginia University School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
University of Washington School of Medicine
Albany School of Medicine

DO:
Ohio University Heritage COM
UNT Health Science Center/TCOM
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York Institiute of Technology COM

Also, I may as well have full disclosure...so back in October of 2014, I was at a party and picked up what I thought was my drink, but it wasn't and it had alcohol (I do not drink). I tasted it and put it back down. Police busted the party about 10-15 minutes later, and I got an MIC, and I did try to explain the situation to the cops but they were treating everyone very rudely. The judge was kinder and said he believed me but couldn't do much since the evidence showed that I blew something into the breathalyzer and I had no money to afford a trial/lawyer and didn't want my parents to know. Anyways, I've already finished the deferred adjudication and was wondering how this would affect me as well.

Also, I am retaking gen chem and ochem 1 to get A's because I know I can do it, so that change my gpa's to 3.6 and 3.23 respectively. Also, the 27 is my retake and the first mcat I got a 26. I studied extremely hard for both and kept minimum social contact with others so it was disappointing to receive those scores (also took a PR class). Will be graduating 5/16.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All of your post HS grades will be considered.
Calculate your gpa using the sticky on the front page of this sub-forum.
TX seems to put a lot of stock in gpa's.

I fixed the post. These are my actual stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bets are going to be OOS DO, but TCOM is still worth a try.
Delete:
UNM School of Medicine (strongly favors IS)
UMKC School of Medicine (OOS matriculants are from it's own special program)

University of Arkansas Medical School
West Virginia University School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
University of Washington School of Medicine (not WWAMI)
Albany School of Medicine

I would be very surprised if you got an interview at any of the others since so few TX applicants leave the state (193/3870). We have learned not to interview them, I'm afraid.

Only the OOS DO schools will replace your repeated courses with your new grades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Afraid the 26/27 MCAT scores coupled with your low sGPA would put you around/below the 10th percentile for the majority of MD schools. A careful application to a few MD schools as well as a broad DO application is probably your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, most schools balk at young applicants (21-22 year olds). Applying at age 20 may not be your best bet. The average age for entering med school is something like 26, and its mostly because schools prefer older applicants. Especially considering a low sGPA plus a low MCAT, you dont give the impression that you handle core sciences well. Retaking Gen Chem and Orgo also wont help on the MD front, because they'll consider all your grades. I would really strongly recommend you try for a 1-2yr masters degree before applying. Take the time to show a strong upward trend, prep like crazy for the MCAT, and show youre ready to give what it takes. You've got a ton of time. People I know who applied straight out of college (only 3 people, all 22 years old) got rejected everywhere MD and most DO's, even with 30+ MCAT and 3.5+ sGPA. You're clearly driven, but without numbers, most adcoms wont be able to grant stock in all the EC's and shadowing, etc.

I understand. I'm still going to apply and hope for the best. I guess I just feel like I want to get in so badly because 1) I went to the early college program so that I could get into medical school earlier and finish at a younger age and 2) a lot of people that went to the same program applied at this very same time last year and are going to school in the Fall (there are also a few students who applied even earlier and were accepted).

Also, am I allowed to update grades for my apps after I submit them? My summer grades wont come out till mid August, but I want to submit by end of June

Your DO applications are unrealistic. You need to apply much more strongly to the mid-tier and low-tier schools. Your 3.1 sGPA and the 27 make it a hard sell to the more established programs.