Chains don't mind paying 250 K per year to SWE but to Pharmacist..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metforminpharmd

Reaction score
I just came across tech salary thread where Walgreens was willing to pay software engineer over 250 K per year where as they don't want to pay same money to their Pharmacist.

Make it make sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because we’re allowing them to do it.

I’m sure the SWE job is work from home and has lots of other cushy perks. Because tech stood up for itself.

While pharmacists continue to be their lapdogs for half the price. It’s happening because WE allow it. All it takes is a widespread “NO”. We had our chance in 2021-2022 but that slipped away.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my VP managers who led the development of Venetoclax once said he personally finds it easier to train someone with a quantitative & programming background the clinical stuff than the other way around, and that's why I got hired albeit I do have a PharmD but most of my coworkers on the team are MDs.

That being said, it's all about demand and supply. If half of pharmacists quit tomorrow, I am sure the three letters or walgreens or whatever will agree to pay 250k a year to pharmacists. Otherwise there's always someone willing to accept $50/hr or anything to pay off student loan debt.

FYI, the three letters software teams have quite decent perks and good culture (cuz I work for them lol). "Dream jobs" for pharmacists are really the norm at lots of other places, even within the same company.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Because we’re allowing them to do it.

I’m sure the SWE job is work from home and has lots of other cushy perks. Because tech stood up for itself.

While pharmacists continue to be their lapdogs for half the price. It’s happening because WE allow it. All it takes is a widespread “NO”. We had our chance in 2021-2022 but that slipped away.
Tech is a growth industry, and the market value is only getting larger and larger. The demand will always outpace the supply unless the outdated education system gets fixed somehow, but that's not gonna happen. Tech workers don't have to fight among themselves too much to get enough resources for all as long as everyone continues to enjoy their own slice of the 🍕, which gets bigger over time as well.

Pharmacy is a sunset industry, and somehow supply keeps outpacing shrinking demand. It doesn't matter how good you are, it's a rat race by nature. This is not specific to pharmacy but applies to all sunset industries i.e manufacturing too.

It's not a microeconomic issue but a macroeconomic one. The best solution for an individual is to be part of growth and get that slice of 🍕 and stay clear away of dying trades.

Last edited:
Probably a multitude of reasons.

1) According to David Graeber’s Bull**** Jobs, the more frontline and essential you are, paradoxically the less respect you are given, the less you get paid, and the harder you are expected to work. Pharmacists and pharmacy techs are frontline and the backbone of CVS, whereas software engineers might be less so.

2) Supply and demand. There has been a huge shortage of SWEs over the last decade. Meanwhile pharmacy schools expanded like crazy and retail stores are closing.

For these reasons we need more people to go into software engineering and other white collar bull**** jobs, and fewer into frontline jobs such as pharmacy.