Chance at DO? Long post. Advice needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyinAZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended a private 4 year university back in 2006 and pretty much failed miserably. Did poorly due to a combination of depression from my IgA Nephropathy returning plus laziness. I've had IgA Nephropathy since 2nd grade but it had receded after 3 years of treatment, came back again 1st year of college.

Anyways, came out with around a 1.8 cGPA (that includes some grade replacement!), didn't even finish.. During that last summer, I decided to take control of my life and go back to school for a degree. I still wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a pediatric nephrologist. Being a kidney disease patient for so long, I felt that I could bring a unique perspective to its treatment as a physician. So this became motivation for my 2nd attempt at college.

Went back to school at my local 4 year state university to pursue a bachelors in Biology. Basically started fresh and retook almost every class I did poorly in. 110 credit hours later, science grades look like this:

Gen Bio 1: B+ (from previous school) Gen Bio 2: A
Gen Chm 1: A- Gen Chm 2: B
Org Chm 1: A Org Chm 2: A
Physics 1: A Physics 2: B+

Rest of the sciences upper division is a combination of A, A-, B+, B, B-. Only received 1 C in a plant bio course. I took all the hard sciences too: genetics, cell, physiology, endocrinology, immunology, microbiology, virology, +others.
Non-science are all As at new school.

I calculated my AACOMAS cGPA is 3.48 and science GPA is 3.31 (this is unfortunately because I have 4 credits of F that just isn't offered at my state school, Intro to Ecology) Just got my MCAT score, 8PS/11V/11BS for a total score of 30.

By the time I apply, I will have completed 7 months of scribing at an ER, shadowed under 2 DO's, various small volunteer work, tutoring. Most of this done since 2013, I hope that doesn't hurt me too much.

Wondering how my chances are looking for Osteopathic school. Any suggestions on how to strengthen my application within a year's time. Should I even mention my kidney disease in my PS or to Adcoms? I don't know if there is discrimination against people with chronic diseases in the recruiting process. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

chances are amazing.

Chances are outstanding at any DO program. I hope you'll apply to mine.

Wondering how my chances are looking for Osteopathic school. Any suggestions on how to strengthen my application within a year's time.

Yes, many people with illnesses mention them in the PS to explain the "Why Medicine" bit.

Should I even mention my kidney disease in my PS or to Adcoms?

There isn't and it would be illegal to do so.

I don't know if there is discrimination against people with chronic diseases in the recruiting process.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I mentioned my illness in my PS since it is the reason why I have chosen to study medicine. I even struggled a little bit about writing about mine since historically it has been attributed to being psychosomatic and caused by hysteria (which some physicians still share these opinions especially in places like Germany). In the end, I decided that writing about my experiences was the most honest thing to do and explained why I am so passionate about helping others. :luck:

I attended a private 4 year university back in 2006 and pretty much failed miserably. Did poorly due to a combination of depression from my IgA Nephropathy returning plus laziness. I've had IgA Nephropathy since 2nd grade but it had receded after 3 years of treatment, came back again 1st year of college.

Anyways, came out with around a 1.8 cGPA (that includes some grade replacement!), didn't even finish.. During that last summer, I decided to take control of my life and go back to school for a degree. I still wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a pediatric nephrologist. Being a kidney disease patient for so long, I felt that I could bring a unique perspective to its treatment as a physician. So this became motivation for my 2nd attempt at college.

Went back to school at my local 4 year state university to pursue a bachelors in Biology. Basically started fresh and retook almost every class I did poorly in. 110 credit hours later, science grades look like this:

Gen Bio 1: B+ (from previous school) Gen Bio 2: A
Gen Chm 1: A- Gen Chm 2: B
Org Chm 1: A Org Chm 2: A
Physics 1: A Physics 2: B+

Rest of the sciences upper division is a combination of A, A-, B+, B, B-. Only received 1 C in a plant bio course. I took all the hard sciences too: genetics, cell, physiology, endocrinology, immunology, microbiology, virology, +others.
Non-science are all As at new school.

I calculated my AACOMAS cGPA is 3.48 and science GPA is 3.31 (this is unfortunately because I have 4 credits of F that just isn't offered at my state school, Intro to Ecology) Just got my MCAT score, 8PS/11V/11BS for a total score of 30.

By the time I apply, I will have completed 7 months of scribing at an ER, shadowed under 2 DO's, various small volunteer work, tutoring. Most of this done since 2013, I hope that doesn't hurt me too much.

Wondering how my chances are looking for Osteopathic school. Any suggestions on how to strengthen my application within a year's time. Should I even mention my kidney disease in my PS or to Adcoms? I don't know if there is discrimination against people with chronic diseases in the recruiting process. Your help is greatly appreciated!

You are a shoo-in for DO...

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the input everyone. I feel much better about my chances, I had just planned on applying to the newer DO schools but now I will give them all a shot. I will try to fit in more ECs between now and my application next June. Thanks again!

You should have little to no problem with getting into osteopathic schools. Maybe retake ecology at a community college if you believe it'll give your app that extra boost.