Chance at reaches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjglove23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I know I have a pretty good shot at med school, just wondering how likely you think my reaches are.

Here are my stats
cGPA: 3.97
sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: haven't taken yet, last practice test was 37

I went to a good, but not great private undergrad school, not sure how much that hurts me (ranked about 45 in US & News).

Shadowing is weak, only 70 hours total

ECs are good, over 300 hours in research lab and work in a biopharmaceutical firm. Also worked as an intern at large news paper in NYC (no, not the Times). Played club lacrosse in college and held leadership in fraternity.

My personal statement is very strong (in my opinion). Tells my story of my own bout with cancer twice in college, and how my experience with my own physicians shaped my future. Recs are also assumed to be pretty strong.

School List:
Illinois
USC
Rush
Miami
FIU
Tulane
Northwestern
Harvard
Columbia
Med college of Wisc
Baylor
Pitt
Wake
Florida
Cincinnati

Is that too many schools? Should i add more? thanks for the help guys

The date that you choose to take your mcat and your state of residence are important factors that you should tell us about. Do you plan on taking the mcat soon?

edited for anonymity

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
GPAs are stellar, but the ECs are lacking and will likely lead to a rejection.

Have you actually set foot in a hospital other than being a patient and for shadowing? You need to show you know what you're getting into and that you want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years. Would you buy a new car without test driving it? Have you done anything to show your altruism? And please, being a patient does NOT show us that you know what you're doing.

You have the app of someone who's done what's convenient, not what's necessary. A career in Medicine is a privilege, not a reward for being smart or a good student.

Can't comment on list without an MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
edited for anonymity

Last edited: