Chance Me! (cGPA 3.77; MCAT 34)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoMuchMCATAhhhh

SoMuchMCATAhhhh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

**: I meant 35, not 34!

**As a forewarning, I haven't taken my MCAT yet (I will be in September), so by no means do I assume that I will get the score I listed, it's just the average score of how I've been doing on the practice AAMC's... so if it's okay, I'd like to see what everyone thinks with that score (hopefully I can improve it as well!)**

-WA Resident (Dual residency in OR)
-University in the Northwest (Physiology Major; Chemistry/ Education Minors)
-cGPA: 3.77
-MCAT: 35 (12/11/12)
-Shadowed in a CVOR, Pathology Lab, Radiology Lab, Catheter Lab, in a Private General Practice, and (hopefully soon) with a Cardiologist at a local Medical Center; ~ 150 hours worth of shadowing so far
-Was a Resident Adviser at my University for a year, as well as a science Tutor, and a Teaching Assistant in a General Biology Course, as well as an Educational Psychology Course.
- Will have been in an inorganic chemistry Research Lab for 2 years.
-Volunteered at a Local Hospitals in the ER, Oncology Unit, and Special procedures unit; ~110 hours
- Will have been on the board of an Asian American student association at my university for 4 years
- Gave a series of lectures in Retirement Centers about Diabetes, and how to use different Diabetes monitors.
- Helped organize a couple Blood Drives at my High School
- Joined a non-profit organization that goes out into rural areas and sets up portable health clinics and runs them

Schools I'm interested in:

OHSU
University of Washington
UNC
Ohio State
NYU
Drexel
Northwestern
USC
Georgetown
University of Tennessee
University of Rochester
University of Michigan

Reach:
Hopkins
Washington U
Columbia
Stanford
UCSF
Duke
U Penn
Mayo Med

So what does everyone think? How reasonable are the non-reaches? Anything else I should do to beef up my resume? My research hasn't been extremely intensive so far- I for the most part have helped make the different photoanodes we're doing research with!. But perhaps my second year will include a project for myself.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of the doctors I shadowed is on the Board of the Medical School there. So a good LOR from him may look nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will! Interesting... I have residency in two states so I figured that would work (parents live in two different states and I spend time at both places)... Ill look into that! Thanks!

I will! Interesting... I have residency in two states so I figured that would work (parents live in two different states and I spend time at both places)... Ill look into that! Thanks!
I've seen many thousands of aps and I've never seen 2 states of residence.

Hmm. Okay well maybe Ill have to choose one then! Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

**As a forewarning, I haven't taken my MCAT yet (I will be in September), so by no means do I assume that I will get the score I listed, it's just the average score of how I've been doing on the practice AAMC's... so if it's okay, I'd like to see what everyone thinks with that score (hopefully I can improve it as well!)**

-WA Resident (Dual residency in OR)
-University in the Northwest (Physiology Major; Chemistry/ Education Minors)
-cGPA: 3.77
-MCAT: 34 (12/11/12)
-Shadowed in a CVOR, Pathology Lab, Radiology Lab, Catheter Lab, in a Private General Practice, and (hopefully soon) with a Cardiologist at a local Medical Center; ~ 150 hours worth of shadowing so far
-Was a Resident Adviser at my University for a year, as well as a science Tutor, and a Teaching Assistant in a General Biology Course, as well as an Educational Psychology Course.
- Will have been in an inorganic chemistry Research Lab for 2 years.
-Volunteered at a Local Hospitals in the ER, Oncology Unit, and Special procedures unit; ~110 hours
- Will have been on the board of an Asian American student association at my university for 4 years
- Gave a series of lectures in Retirement Centers about Diabetes, and how to use different Diabetes monitors.
- Helped organize a couple Blood Drives at my High School
- Joined a non-profit organization that goes out into rural areas and sets up portable health clinics and runs them

Schools I'm interested in:

OHSU
University of Washington
UNC
Ohio State
NYU
Drexel
Northwestern
USC
Georgetown
University of Tennessee
University of Rochester
University of Michigan

Reach:
Hopkins
Washington U
Columbia
Stanford
UCSF
Duke
U Penn
Mayo Med

So what does everyone think? How reasonable are the non-reaches? Anything else I should do to beef up my resume? My research hasn't been extremely intensive so far- I for the most part have helped make the different photoanodes we're doing research with!. But perhaps my second year will include a project for myself.

Thanks in advance!

u may want to start by double checking that mcat score total

12/11/12 adds up to a 35. Though I could see how your subsection score averages could be different than your cumulative average (rounding and whatnot)